Looping software

Reaction score
I need some help with my solo.
Worked great for 4 flights except the controller FLY button started to stick. Was sent a new controller in sealed box. Couldn't get the system to work with new controller. Solo software kept me looping when I tried updating:
...'update is ready to be transferred to controller and solo.....begin...unable to detect solo(my samsung s6 active's solo software doesn't find solo but the WiFi does connect to solo).

I tried everyting I read on the internet except didn't want to reset the pair button on the drone. Before returning the new replacement controller I made sure the old controller was still working, which it was via a test flight. I decided I had to retry the new replacement one last time by using the pair button on the drone according to internet postings. I did and

Nothing now works, either the original controller or even a third replacement controller. It's also right out of a sealed box. I keep looping at the same update point.
I doubt if the controller is the problem (1st one worked except had the sticky FLY button and until i used the pair button on the drone, and two more from sealed boxes).
Ive reset everything on the smartphone several times, deleted caches in solo app., Etc. So it must be the drone itself?

I was offered a drone replacement. Sounds like the best thing to do. It was a great drone.

So the good news is that you don't have a working solo/controller combination. That's good because it means we can do a lot of things to them without having to worry about messing anything up (because things aren't working anyway!).

Do you have a controller that is paired to the drone and working and NOT wanting to do a preflight update? As in a controller you haven't factory reset?
What are you using to connect to the controller? (android phone, tablet etc)
What software are you using (3dr app, solex etc).

Due to the way the connection works (your smart device connects to the controller, the controller connects to the drone) answering the above will help find out if the problem is with the app, controller or drone.

In fact, also let me know the exact state of each controller (you now have 3?).

Thing is, if you get a replacement drone, that may work out fine and good, but if you can't solve this problem, you may end up running into it again at some stage, so just trying to help out!.

So the good news is that you don't have a working solo/controller combination. That's good because it means we can do a lot of things to them without having to worry about messing anything up (because things aren't working anyway!).

Do you have a controller that is paired to the drone and working and NOT wanting to do a preflight update?
Yes i have a controller that must be good (sealed box) and the 2nd replacement and working (red/greenlights in all three the same) but not sure if its paired to the drone. It loops when i try to do the update. The smartphone connects to wfii sololinl ok. Smartphone (samsung s6 active android, woted ok on 5 flights ok.)

As in a controller you haven't factory reset?

Correct no resets on the controller. Only pairing via the drone pair button (countless attempts)

What are you using to connect to the controller? (android phone, tablet etc)
What software are you using (3dr app, solex etc).

3drsolo app.

Due to the way the connection works (your smart device connects to the controller, the controller connects to the drone) answering the above will help find out if the problem is with the app, controller or drone.

In fact, also let me know the exact state of each controller (you now have 3?).

Original with faulty fly button returned along with first sealed box replacement. I currently have the 2nd sealed box replacement.

Thing is, if you get a replacement drone, that may work out fine and good, but if you can't solve this problem, you may end up running into it again at some stage, so just trying to help out!.

Yes i have a controller that must be good (sealed box) and the 2nd replacement and working (red/greenlights in all three the same)
OK, one thing at a time. I'm asking about the controllers, your controller does not have any lights on it.

but not sure if its paired to the drone.
When you powered on the controller, did you get a message saying "New Solo Found, Press A&B to pair"? If not, then it's probably not paired. This is normal as it wants to download the preflight update before it does anything else. This is what happens with new controllers or controllers that have been factory reset.

It loops when i try to do the update.
"Loops" is not very descriptive or very helpful. So will need to know exactly what is happening.

The smartphone connects to wfii sololinl ok.
So that's your smartphone connecting to your controller. That's a good thing, we want this to happen.

Smartphone (samsung s6 active android, woted ok on 5 flights ok.)
Yes, before you did a factory reset, so now we're basically stuck with setting up a brand new drone and brand new controller. So lets see what we can do. You'll need to answer just a few questions specifically without going off topic.

On your phone, go into application manager and locate the 3DR app, clear the cache and clear the data. Alternatively you can uninstall and reinstall it. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS. You must be connected to the internet to reinstall the 3DR app and your solo and controller should be powered off at this time.

Once you've re-installed the 3DR app (do not open the app yet), power on your controller. What message is on the controller screen? (waiting on solo, preflight update required before flight, new solo found?).

Now open the 3DR app and connect to the sololink. On the main screen of the 3DR app, is there a message saying "software update available" or "software update required"?

If there is an update required, disconnect from the sololink and update the software from the 3DR app (this will require either a data plan over your phones 4G or an available Wi Fi hotspot/internet connection). You have to disconnect from the solo wifi before the update will download.

Once the update has downloaded, the 3DR app will want to install it on the controller. So you will need to disconnect from the internet/wifi and reconnect to the solo link. Once this update takes place the 3DR app will then want to update the software on your drone.

Please describe in detail what happens when you get to this point, what screen is on the 3DR app and what messages are being displayed.

Yes i have a controller that must be good (sealed box) and the 2nd replacement and working (red/greenlights in all three the same)
OK, one thing at a time. I'm asking about the controllers, your controller does not have any lights on it.

Inside controller lights seen throuh a vent. All three showed an internal green, flashing red and solid orange (?) Led.

but not sure if its paired to the drone.
When you powered on the controller, did you get a message saying "New Solo Found, Press A&B to pair"? If not, then it's probably not paired.

No it didn't.

This is normal as it wants to download the preflight update before it does anything else. This is what happens with new controllers or controllers that have been factory reset.

It loops when i try to do the update.
"Loops" is not very descriptive or very helpful. So will need to know exactly what is happening.

By looping i tried to convey that i ended up every try at the very same place in the smartphones solo app when it tried to do the required update. The smartphone update says 'software update available' ..... Update ready to be transferred to controller and solo.... begin...unable to detect solo, make sure solo is on and paired with contoller.' This is the point in the software i ened up at every time i tried. Couldn't go any further. Contoller always says it is waiting for preflight update before first flight.
Ive tried clearing the app cache, reseting smartphone several times, etc. Still under warranty so limited on opening things up. Been through the setup too many times to count and in every different combination (no camera, camaera on/off, etc) i could put together.

The smartphone connects to wfii sololinl ok.
So that's your smartphone connecting to your controller. That's a good thing, we want this to happen.

Smartphone (samsung s6 active android, woted ok on 5 flights ok.)
Yes, before you did a factory reset, so now we're basically stuck with setting up a brand new drone and brand new controller. So lets see what we can do. You'll need to answer just a few questions specifically without going off topic.

On your phone, go into application manager and locate the 3DR app, clear the cache and clear the data. Alternatively you can uninstall and reinstall it. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS. You must be connected to the internet to reinstall the 3DR app and your solo and controller should be powered off at this time.

Once you've re-installed the 3DR app (do not open the app yet), power on your controller. What message is on the controller screen? (waiting on solo, preflight update required before flight, new solo found?).

Now open the 3DR app and connect to the sololink. On the main screen of the 3DR app, is there a message saying "software update available" or "software update required"?

If there is an update required, disconnect from the sololink and update the software from the 3DR app (this will require either a data plan over your phones 4G or an available Wi Fi hotspot/internet connection). You have to disconnect from the solo wifi before the update will download.

Once the update has downloaded, the 3DR app will want to install it on the controller. So you will need to disconnect from the internet/wifi and reconnect to the solo link. Once this update takes place the 3DR app will then want to update the software on your drone.

Please describe in detail what happens when you get to this point, what screen is on the 3DR app and what messages are being displayed.

I Described above what happened and followed the above procedure.

Ok, so have you flipped your bird upside down (while powered on) and held in the "pairing button" for at least 2-3 seconds? Do this while your controller is on and your 3DR app is open. If you have a gimbal, make sure the camera is in the gimbal (doesn't matter whether it's powered on or not, you just want a gopro in there to stop any possible damage to the gimbal).

i tried that several times. Still does the "looping" at the same point in the smartphone solo app , 'unable to find solo' when it tris the internet update. The contoller itself never gets the 'press a and b button to pair'. By the way thanks for your help. First time blogging, i hope reading my answers isnt too difficult.

i tried that several times. Still does the "looping" at the same point in the smartphone solo app , 'unable to find solo' when it tris the internet update. The contoller itself never gets the 'press a and b button to pair'. By the way thanks for your help. First time blogging, i hope reading my answers isnt too difficult.
Next up I'd say it's time to factory reset the drone. Power the solo off, flip it upside down, hold in the pairing button and power the drone up, keep holding in the button for about 5 seconds (make sure you have the props off when you do this BTW).

have done that countless times. Seems to reset the drone because the green turns to a rapidly flashing orange. I have varied keeping the button pressed from 1-2 seconds to much longer with camera on or off. So far I've tried everything you've suggested. Maybe i should try a different smartphone except the one i have worked ok until the original controllers 'fly' button became stuck.

Nothing new to add except I'll receive another controller in a week to try again. I'll post again when i try another new contoller. Thanks for your information and help.

Holidays, flu and no new (#3) controller. Getting a different smartphone (iphone6) in a few days. Im ready to see what' s inside the drone since no warranty, eventhough original paperwork says something else. I'll post when I have new info. This thing can't be rocket science.

3dr solo drone, controller, gimble, carrying case, 4 batteries and extra set of propellers. Worked until I reset the drones pairing reset and since haven't been able pair with the controller. I don't think much is wrong since it worked until I changed the controller. Started to dismantle the drone to reset the memory chip but too complicated for me and don't want to spend anymore time. Sold 'as is' as a Tech Special. No returns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela