looks like the flood waters are rising on Solo City....

Reaction score
Last week I got the gimbal and found out that it would not work with the version of GoPro I had. Even the Box that the Gimbal comes in says it works with the GoPro Hero3+ system. So if I was ever confused so was the printer of the BOX and they get the info from 3DR.

A few minutes ago (Sunday Evening) I went to the 3DR Facebook page and they have taken down to of the last posts that they had up. I was looking for a possible update. I keep getting promotional e mails from them about Solo but not an update about how to used my gimbal.

I have an e mail from the engineering department that said partial use was possible but I can not get that to work. The app prompts me up update my camera then advises me I need a Hero3+ Black.

One of my friends who feels he owes me a big favor, had hear about this and wanted to do something super nice for me so he went to a So. Ca. Best Buy (San Diego) and wanted to by me a Hero4Black. They did not have any of them and told him to just by the Hero3+Silver as they had been told by 3DR it would work. Now I can not tell you what this guy does for a living but getting him to lie... FAT CHANCE...

Has anyone heard anything, How long would you wait till you got FIRM with 3DR for not responding. They will not even get back to me to tell me how to use this in the partial mode that engineering says is possible? One Week ... two weeks? What say you....

Are you curious as to why 3DR pulled their last posts from their Facebook page? Is this Gimbal to Hero 3+ issue getting to hot?

Every single car I've owned, from $16,000 ones to $50,000 ones have had recalls to address various issues. If major auto companies with 100+ years of experience can't design a faultless product and have to address problems after the point of sale, I'm not sure I can hold a small company like 3DR to a higher standard on a $400 product.

I'm not saying it's not frustrating, but we're all at the very front of a brand new industry, issues like this are inevitable.

Have you found out if the issue is hardware or software/firmware related? Reviewing the specs of the silver and black, it doesn't seem like there's any/major hardware differences that should effect this. If it's software, GoPro is at least as much at fault, and likely more so, as 3DR.

There's no reason 3DR wouldn't want as many cameras to work with the gimbal as possible. GoPro, on the other hand, would LOVE for you to have to buy a new camera. You might be better served by directing some of your energy towards GoPro.

Last week I got the gimbal and found out that it would not work with the version of GoPro I had. Even the Box that the Gimbal comes in says it works with the GoPro Hero3+ system. So if I was ever confused so was the printer of the BOX and they get the info from 3DR.

A few minutes ago (Sunday Evening) I went to the 3DR Facebook page and they have taken down to of the last posts that they had up. I was looking for a possible update. I keep getting promotional e mails from them about Solo but not an update about how to used my gimbal.

I have an e mail from the engineering department that said partial use was possible but I can not get that to work. The app prompts me up update my camera then advises me I need a Hero3+ Black.

One of my friends who feels he owes me a big favor, had hear about this and wanted to do something super nice for me so he went to a So. Ca. Best Buy (San Diego) and wanted to by me a Hero4Black. They did not have any of them and told him to just by the Hero3+Silver as they had been told by 3DR it would work. Now I can not tell you what this guy does for a living but getting him to lie... FAT CHANCE...

Has anyone heard anything, How long would you wait till you got FIRM with 3DR for not responding. They will not even get back to me to tell me how to use this in the partial mode that engineering says is possible? One Week ... two weeks? What say you....

Are you curious as to why 3DR pulled their last posts from their Facebook page? Is this Gimbal to Hero 3+ issue getting to hot?
George,
You might want to call 3DR. They are 24 - 7 now. Also check back during the day when there are plenty of people on to help out. I don't have a gimbal yet so I would be much help.

There are plenty of people using various models of the GoPro and not having issues. I do know there was a recent update to the GoPro 3+ Black and Silver. It came out Sep 2.

You should go to the site and update your camera.

WHAT? They even sell 3+ on their website. I'm glad I purchased the 4black but it is advertised as working with that gimbal. But I don't even know anyways because My HDMI cable is bad.

Mr. Unknown: I don't see the analogy with cars. Most recalls have to do with small issues with cars. I can not fly now. That is like the car not starting, not a fuel sensor or seat belt buzzer.

As for GoPro being responsible. That is so convoluted it makes me think you are a engineer for 3dr. They said it worked with hero3+ Silver... Did they not test it?...

Reality is it was not even in production when the claim was made and still the claim is on the 3dr gimbal box.

How do you blame GoPro knowing that? And the reliance of performance was given to me, I made the purchase based upon the claim...

Bottom line I just want it to work as stated: recalls from auto manufactures do not cost consumers! so in a way you make a great point for correction of the issue by 3dr at their expense..

Just a thought: Did you make sure the firmware on your GoPro is updated?

Yes.., my silver is as updated as possible. I have an e mail from 3dr that says I can get partial performance but the app states it will not work... I think I will take a picture of this and post it... And the picture of the box.... To me this is like the Clinton server issue.... The facts keep being convoluted , with possible excuses when the facts are on the box.. It is supposed to work.

WHAT? They even sell 3+ on their website. .
Where is the 3+ on the site for Solo? I don't see it.

Drones - 3DRobotics Inc

In any case, I have H4 Black, H4 Silver, and H3+ Black, and all work fine... It asked for an update on the H3. I had issues with the update sticking from the app wirelessly and I updated it manually. No problems with it since.

Yes.., my silver is as updated as possible. I have an e mail from 3dr that says I can get partial performance but the app states it will not work... I think I will take a picture of this and post it... And the picture of the box.... To me this is like the Clinton server issue.... The facts keep being convoluted , with possible excuses when the facts are on the box.. It is supposed to work.
Sage advice. I would keep politics out of it. You alienate 50% of the people no matter what side you are on.

It sounds like you are working off what your friend told you, that Best Buy told him, about what will work with another product... the Solo. Assuming your friend is as honest as George Washington, there is also room for someone in the chain being wrong, and also misinterpretation.

In my experience, though it is a big temptation, and somethimes even justified, being angry doesn't help either. Decide what you want. If you want to find out if it will work, work toward that. If you want to be angry, you are already there. I suggest working toward understanding what will work and what won't. Then working toward a solution. But that's just me....

Now... There are limitations with the GoPro bus between HERO's, and even between HERO 3+ units. If I were you, I would call 3DR and talk to an engineer. They will know the differences, and be able to tell you what will work and what won't.

There also could be a glitch with the software where it may not see your GoPro correctly. I don't know becuase yours is one of the few models of GoPro I don't have.

Work with 3DR to get to the bottom of it rather than trying to solve it yourself on forums. You can start any time with fforst line people. if you did that now (24 hour service) you could get to an engineer or to the bottom of it by tomorrow. It could be on either side, and they generally are knowleagable and reasonable people

When all else fails, If you bought the GoPro at BB recently, you can also swap it for an H4 which will certainly work.

GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition gets you GoPro design, solid HD video quality

FYI, the H4 Black has higher frame rates at high resolution, which produces smoother video which is good for any aerial footage. It also has low light and protune. All of which is better for aerial.

Good Luck

I decided to go back to YouTube where I did much of my research for the Solo. This April 2015 interview is a very interesting inasmuch as the 3DR rep says that they were given full access to the GOPro to make the gimbal and then show a picture of the Solo with Gimbal, and GoPro camera attached. This video also includes want is presented as a fully operating system, with all the camera integration's working on the display of the controller. The claim still seems to elude the reality of the situation.

They even show the gimbal as if it is working. There is NO mention of this being some futuristic plan and still being under development. They do talk about GoPro5 as if it can get better but the key here is they were given full access to the GoPro line.

So how is it possible that they did not know the Hero 3Plus Silver did not work? Was this presentation fair to make to inspire clients to their product. This statement says they were given full access to manufacture the gimbal, and the Solo is ready for market. This promotional statement was well planned, The 3DR rep even drops in the 70 million dollar investment by qual comm into the interview. Why would they do this if not to instill confidence in their product?

The box the gimbal is shipped in says it will work, as does much of the other information that 3DR promoted, it says Hero 3+ (There is no BLACK only disclaimer) I have called and written and still no response, and no solution.

Were I the CEO of this company I would get out in front of this P.R. nightmare. I have a feeling it is only going to get worse as more gimbals are shipped to Hero 3+ Silver owners.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is the fact sheet from the 3DR site for the Gimbal.
OVERVIEW
3DR worked directly with GoPro® to make the first gimbal in the world to offer full access to GoPro® controls during flight. This means that for the first time, you can instantly start or stop recording video, snap photos and adjust multiple camera settings from the ground. The 3-axis Solo Gimbal intelligently stabilizes and controls the GoPro®, allowing you to adjust camera tilt either manually or automatically, and even powers the GoPro® so its battery won’t die mid-flight. The Solo Gimbal also streams perfectly stable and fluid live HD video to virtually any screen, including mobile devices, from over half a mile away.

Features
  • Professionally stabilized aerial video (to within 0.1 degrees of pointing accuracy)
  • First 3-axis gimbal in the world to offer in-flight GoPro® control (via free mobile app)
  • Compatible with GoPro® HERO3+ and HERO4 (includes HERO3+ and HERO4 Silver balance weights)
  • Live HD video direct from GoPro® to iOS and Android mobile devices
  • Powers GoPro® battery during flight
  • Integrated HDMI output for live HD streaming to virtually any screen
  • Includes quick start guide and screwdriver for easy GoPro® installation
  • Automates camera for Solo’s Smart Shot cinematic flight modes
  • Take control or let the Solo Gimbal do the work with auto and manual tilt modes
  • Includes sunshade to reduce glare and lens flare

GoPro® sold separately

You will note there is no exclusion for the Hero3+ Silver... so this problem is likely only growing. Is is logical to state engineering knows, Silver will not work, it as it is stated in the App and with the e mails that have even been sent to members of this board but Sales has not caught up....Management Problem?

Last edited:
Are you positive that it couldn't be something wrong with your GoPro?

Have other Hero 3+ Silver owners reported similar trouble?

I would say I am 99.999999 positive that it is not a problem with my GO Pro. The 3DR Controller App says that my camera is not supported. Silver is excluded from the list of working or compatible cameras in the App.

Are others having the same problem?... that is why I posted this and keep researching it. I just want to get back in the air. I will make note now that the SILVER did work in the system without the Gimbal. I know this as I have used it and have the video. Thus logic would prove that there was some contemplation to working with the Silver in the starting design. The issue arrives with the Gimbal. This is not Go Pros fault as others here have suggested. They did not design or manufacture the gimbal. Where is the fix? I am still looking for it. If you go to the Gimbal offering page on 3DR's site it still says HERO 3+ works, there is no mention of incompatibility of the Silver version, with the gimbal.

Is it fair to say 3DR either has a plan and a fix is on the way, or they are not listening? I do not know of any other logical options to this conflicting information.

Colin speaks! This is very interesting about want could be expected from the Gimbal and an updated firmware that had already been worked out, with Go Pro. This video was done in April 2015. So according to Colin everything was calculated and worked out. Consumers could rely on it? Is it fair to say the claim / statement of working with the Hero3+ had to have been considered as 3DR had planned for this? Was this not tested before it was sold to the public?

Start at about 2.2 mins... it is a very interesting video.

Mr. Unknown: I don't see the analogy with cars. Most recalls have to do with small issues with cars. I can not fly now. That is like the car not starting, not a fuel sensor or seat belt buzzer.

Hi George. Care to explain your fixation with my user name? I'm just curious. Seems to point to a bit of an obsessive personality, which would explain your continued reaction to this issue.

As for the car analogy, it's perfectly reasonable. This issue isn't preventing you from flying. It's preventing you from flying *with your camera in the gimbal*. And it only effects people with a specific, 2 year old camera. I'm not saying it's not frustrating for the people who happen to have that camera, but you make it sound like a much more significant problem than it is.

As for GoPro being responsible. That is so convoluted it makes me think you are a engineer for 3dr. They said it worked with hero3+ Silver... Did they not test it?...

How is it convoluted. 3DR had access to the GoPro bus, that doesn't mean 3DR can modify and update the firmware on the cameras. GoPro may have promised to update the camera's firmware to address issues, and then fallen back on that promise. I'm speculating of course, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, and it would be a much more believable explanation than 3DR intentionally not fixing a fixable issue so customers need to buy a new camera... from GoPro. If 3DR had their own competing camera, I could understand being suspicious, but they have everything to loose (bad press, upset customers, have to refund the product) and absolutely, totally, utterly *nothing* to gain.

Reality is it was not even in production when the claim was made and still the claim is on the 3dr gimbal box.

What wasn't even in production? The camera or the gimbal?

Bottom line I just want it to work as stated: recalls from auto manufactures do not cost consumers! so in a way you make a great point for correction of the issue by 3dr at their expense..

I want a lot of things to just work, George. But desire alone is sometimes not enough. That's life. You either obsess about it and drive yourself nuts, or you get on with your life. And fair point about the recall, and it's why I said in one of your other threads that you clearly have a case for a 100% refund. Given 3DR's money-back guaranty and their repair/replacement policies, I have little doubt they'll refund the cost of your gimbal, if not the whole drone.

And despite your claim to just want it to work, you seem more interested in ranting and complaining than actually trying to get to the bottom of the problem. I asked before - have you asked anyone at 3DR what the actual source of the incompatibility is? Someone knows - they're asking the camera to do X, which 3 other models can do, and for some reason, 1 model doesn't. Once you know what that specific thing is, you can then determine if it's something 3DR could fix, or if it's something that GoPro would need to fix.

Or you could just keep complaining here, but that's most certainly not going to solve your problem.

How do you blame GoPro knowing that? And the reliance of performance was given to me, I made the purchase based upon the claim...

Recalls have included some pretty serious issues....gas peddles sticking at full throttle....air bags that shoot shrapnel like a land mine....fuel systems that allow the vehicle to burst into flames...quite a few that make driving extremely dangerous.
But regardless, I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and understand your frustration. I would hope BB would allow you to exchange the Silver for a Black (though it would cost more)?

But I did see an incredible video posted somewhere shot with the new gimbal and a Gopro 3 Silver, in fact it was one of the most beautiful aerial videos I've seen. I think it was on this forum I saw the video? So it is possible to get the two to work together based on that video.
Good luck, I hope you can resolve this quickly.

Yup, it was a 3+ Silver.
Here you go:

My gimbal unit is layed up without a controller. Just tried neighbors Hero 3+ Silver on Solo2 (without gimbal) and it works fine.

Have you talked directly to 3DR?

Mr. Unknown; You say that I can fly. That is not what I am seeing in the app. It is routing me to a locked screen, that does not allow me to push the fly buttom, it insists that I update my camera before I go forward. The system is trying to acknowledge the gimbal. I say this with "Great Humor" As for obsessive, that is sorta funny coming from someone paranoid about sharing their name.

Going back to the auto analogy.... recalls. Those are paid for by the manufacturer, so maybe your genius is shining through and I just missed it at first blush.

So how long have you been an engineer at 3DR?.....lol...

As for the return of the Drone.... Best Buy at least at the store level is saying NO.... I live in Ca. and I am sure there are other paths open to refund but so far not at the store. I would rather it work and I get what they said it would do but right now....

Oh and the two year old camera comment, it is still available brand new at Best Buy. Mine is not that old.

GoodNuff: Great video, are you saying it was done with a Hero3+ Silver and the Gimbal and if so how did you get it to work and when? This is what I have been searching for the solution!

Mr. Unknown; You say that I can fly. That is not what I am seeing in the app. It is routing me to a locked screen, that does not allow me to push the fly buttom, it insists that I update my camera before I go forward. The system is trying to acknowledge the gimbal. I say this with "Great Humor" As for obsessive, that is sorta funny coming from someone paranoid about sharing their name.

Going back to the auto analogy.... recalls. Those are paid for by the manufacturer, so maybe your genius is shining through and I just missed it at first blush.

So how long have you been an engineer at 3DR?.....lol...

As for the return of the Drone.... Best Buy at least at the store level is saying NO.... I live in Ca. and I am sure there are other paths open to refund but so far not at the store. I would rather it work and I get what they said it would do but right now....

Oh and the two year old camera comment, it is still available brand new at Best Buy. Mine is not that old.
Dude... Why the personal attacks?
Why not just work toward a solution?
Have you spoken directly to 3DR?
I don't know, but can't see a technical reason the camera won't work (although not the best choice for aerial)
If it isn't old, why not exchange the camera for a 3 or 4 black at Best Buy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421