Looking for recommendations on how to clean "sticky" controller buttons

Reaction score
First off: Yes, I did use the search; No, I didn't find anything that answers my question.

Here's what happened: I was flying this weekend and randomly I would have something trigger unwanted behavior of my Solo. This was indicated by one of the control apps (3DR Solo or Solex) saying "FLY" "LAND" "RETURN HOME" or another voice indication that a button on the controller had been pressed or pressed and held. Watching the screen on the controller showed the "FLY" button press and hold behavior (green bar growing across the screen) when I wasn't touching the controller happened multiple times.

I've seen a few threads that indicate that the controller buttons are known to stick, get sticky, or otherwise have problems.

I haven't spilled anything in/on my controller, I haven't flown in the rain, I don't smoke, or leave the controller in a "contaminated" environment. I have let my kids fly Solo, so one of them could have sneezed on the controller...

Is there a recommended way to clean or repair the buttons on the controller? I haven't taken the controller apart yet since I wanted to see the collective wisdom of the group here first. I'm hoping to just take the controller shell apart, gently clean the area around the buttons and reassemble. Any tips, tricks, hints, etc. would be appreciated.

are the buttons physically sticking? i had to disassemble my controller and file the recesses larger around some of the buttons

are the buttons physically sticking? i had to disassemble my controller and file the recesses larger around some of the buttons
I'm going to open the controller up in the next day or two so I can inspect what's going on inside. Depending on what I find when I open it up I'm going to clean the button contacts and possibly slightly widen/smooth out the edges between the case and the button cap. I'm hoping that when I open it up there is something obvious (piece of a leaf or similar) impeding the travel of the button.

Try stick calibration before opening up the controller. Worked for me.

I had a pause button giving me trouble on my first controller, after pressing it for some reason it would hang not letting me perform any other commands. Did the stick calibration and the problem went away. I just figured that'swhat fixed the problem.

I'll try the stick calibration since it can't hurt. I do believe the two are mutually exclusive, but anything is worth a try.

Stickie buttons? It appears some units had excessive clear coating applied which gums up the button holes once they get out into the world. You'd be surprised by the dust and dirt that can get pinched into the buttons.

You have to take the controller apart. This allows the buttons to clear the holes enough to sand (150 grit or finer) their openings. The buttons are affixed to the top cover, so you are only able depress so far when sanding. Process all the button holes while you are there... And make sure you blow out the controller prior to reassembly.

And unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any short cuts to processing the buttons. It's an hour's worth of work start to finish.

I think there is a Video of the controller wifi card swap-out somewhere. This will give you an idea how to disassemble.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986