Level calibration error after upgrading to open solo 3.0 via solex

Reaction score
Long story short, I have a solo that is stock except mro GPS. Flew fine right up until I upgraded to open solo 3.0 from stock firmware. Everything boots up, it asks for a compass calibration, I do that, then it wants a level calibration but the imu calibration in Solex fails everytime. I tried the stock Solo app, same thing. I've tried redoing the firmware multiple times, same thing. I even tried running the update from my phone instead of tablet, etc, etc. Nothing works. Can a software issue cause this?

I had a Solo previously that suddenly developed a level calibration issue with no fix in sight, it was still under warranty so sent it to 3dr and got a replacement. This one has been fine for a year, flew fine on Sunday and took pics and video. No issues whatsoever until open solo upgrade.

Any ideas? Is there a way to just return it to stock firmware? I only did this to get the geotagging function in Solex (which I paid for), but it is not worth bricking my drone over.

Some more info...

It always asks for the compass calibration first and it has been successful every time.

Looking back at the instructions, the only difference I can find is that while it lists the software as "3.0" in the Solex app, for the transmitter it does not say "Open Solo 3.0" like the instructions say. The transmitter had the success message twice each time, just like the instructions though, and it has the Open Solo splash screen when it boots up.

The only thing I can think of that this is either software related to the Open Solo install, or that maybe the level sensor was somehow on its last leg and got stuck or died when I was rotating the drone during the compass calibration. That might be a reach but it's all I can think of.

Would upgrading to a green cube fix this? Is it even possible to go to a green cube if it's not up and flying now?

Everything else seems fine other than it just won't successfully complete a level calibration.

Do the parameter reset in Solex. Then do the IMU calibration. Then do the compass calibration.
Will do. Does the order of the calibrations matter? So far each time it asks for the compass calibration once everything is rebooted and connected.

It shouldn't but do the compass first per the instructions on Open Solo.
Just tried again with the parameter reset. Same result. The IMU calibration fails whether I do it first or the compass first.

Any other ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but I can pick it up when it's on and the gimbal has no issue holding level when I move the Solo. I'm not sure if it uses the same level sensor as the drone or not though, but the gimbal knows where level is.

Is there a way to tell for sure if it's hardware or software?

Go to the bottom of the Solex vehicle settings screen. What does it say for all the firmware versions?

Go to the bottom of the Solex vehicle settings screen. What does it say for all the firmware versions?
Here's a screen grab. Does that look right?
b634f6abf6800c2ff4a09be38a0ad3dd.jpg

Yes. If you've done a parameter reset, and it's not working, my guess would be a hardware problem in pixhawk.

Yes. If you've done a parameter reset, and it's not working, my guess would be a hardware problem in pixhawk.
So does that mean cube replacement? Can I upgrade to green cube if it isn't flying now?

Also, is there a way to go back to factory firmware?

Just to make sure I'm doing the parameter reset correct, are you talking about the reset parameter option that is in the firmware update menu, or in the menu where you can see all the individual parameters?

Also, do you know if I can upgrade to green cube if I don't get this working?

Yes that's the right way to reset the parameters. It could be a pixhawk problem. It could also be a compass problem. If you can download and post a dataflash log, it may give more of a clue.

Yes that's the right way to reset the parameters. It could be a pixhawk problem. It could also be a compass problem. If you can download and post a dataflash log, it may give more of a clue.
What do I need to do that? I thought it had to go up to record data.

Your copter records the logs on each flight...so you may need to download a log based on the date the original event happened...

I think this link will help with getting the file(s). Possible Solex has a download option if you have that app.

It will log just sitting there on the ground.
Sorry, been out of town and crazy with work for a few weeks. I pulled the logs via Solex. Should I post them here or send them to you? Or is there something I can look up and find in there?

Ok thanks, I will try that next.

I tried opening the logs in Mission Planner but I'm not sure what I'm looking for? Is there a telltale data point for the IMU failure?

I have an event coming up in two weeks and I need a backup at the least, so I need to either get this one going or buy some additional batteries for my Typhoon. I really don't want to invest any more in the Typhoon but I also don't want to buy a greencube if that's not the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea