Large drone over Ottawa Scrambles F-18's

Full report text that the media leaves out of their click bait article:

A WestJet flight (WJA366) and an Air Canada flight (ACA458), arriving at Ottawa (CYOW), ON, saw a large drone near their flight paths. For WJA366, it was on the left side at the same altitude (6,700 ft). ACA458 was at 8 000 ft when it noticed the drone 1 NM to its left at 2 000 ft below ACA458’s altitude. The target headed to the southeast at 20-30 kt on primary radar and was lost at about 2055Z.

This thing was large enough to show up on primary radar, and could move along at 35mph at 6-7,000 feet. And be seen by two different aircraft going nearly 300mph. Presuming this story isn't total BS, this was not a consumer drone or toy.

I believe it's true. We don't panic over things in Canada unless there is a real threat. Who ever owns this, and flew it really was going for a reaction.

I believe we will find who they are, and they will be charged with what ever crime we can charge them with.

Do you believe our Solo's and even the Phantoms and the Inspire or SJ1000 are too small to be seen on radar? I don't know the answer to this, as I have no training in the radar field.

Thanks for the additional info

I don't think they would even be noticed by ATC primary radar. But if they were, they would not show up on an air traffic controller's screen because they would be filtered out as clutter. The only way to see them would be to play back the recorded raw data without the clutter filters after the fact. And again, that's assuming they could even show up at all. Considering a Cessna 150 without a transponder is not even an easy primary radar target, a little plastic flying toy doesn't stand a chance.

Reactions: Benzo and SteveReno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela