Landing pads

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on a good landing pad? Any real difference between them? I see some pretty wildly varying price levels for what mostly looks like a car window shade with a big H on it. Not sure if there's more to them than that?

Anyone have opinions on a good landing pad? Any real difference between them? I see some pretty wildly varying price levels for what mostly looks like a car window shade with a big H on it. Not sure if there's more to them than that?
The fabric is stretched a lot tighter than a sun shade - needs to be so that if launching from grass or a soft surface the gimbal isn't touching. I received a 30" pad as a gift. It works great for launching. A 42" pad would make landing on it easier.
Here's one on Amazon that looks very similar to what I have, just larger (and only $20): https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Col...d=1532464096&sr=8-8&keywords=drone+launch+pad
Buy some aluminum tent stakes to use with this.

A landing pad is a good idea if you're taking off from a Sandy or Dusty environment, it can really cut down on the amount of dust/sand raised. You may also find it a good idea to invest in some leg extenders. This will also help keep the gimbal away from the ground. Relish3D did some folding ones that work out nicely for me.

Reactions: scottm32768
Just got a set of Relish3D legs- they are real nice! About $30, but so much nicer than the 3D printed ones on ebay.
You can use a piece of 1/2 plywood and use you artistic talents to paint an H on it. Home Depot has pieces already cut, or you may have a piece lying around?

Might try a rubber “anti-fatigue” mat used in shops. Might find something cheap at harborfreight.com.

It needs to be fairly heavy and stiff as Solo really puts out a lot of air when landing. Bigger is better too- 42” should be good.

I'm partial to dry erase board taken out of their frames myself. You get enough rigidity that the Solo can land and take off easily, and there is enough flex in the board that it can lie on uneven terrain fairly easily.

Plus, I can write down important mission stats in order to photograph them before I take off and when I land.

Attachments

• WP_20180726_10_55_53_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    WP_20180726_10_55_53_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I'm partial to dry erase board taken out of their frames myself. You get enough rigidity that the Solo can land and take off easily, and there is enough flex in the board that it can lie on uneven terrain fairly easily.

Plus, I can write down important mission stats in order to photograph them before I take off and when I land.

I use a square section of 1/2" plywood which I had laying around it can be checked using a level. The plywood
might be cumbersome to lug around but is a solid platform to keep the Solo out of the grass or gravel. A fella
could use 3/8" plywood all painted up and decal-ed and cut in a circular pattern. ;)

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I "borrowed" some parts of 3DR Solo logos and had one designed and made up by a vinyl sign maker. A friend put together a 30" diameter circle made of a lightweight fiber board about 1/4" thick with routered smooth edges and also a routered smooth cutout carrying handle. I wish it was a little larger in diameter (probably at least 36") but I'm very pleased with the overall look. If anybody wants the digital layout to get printed, I'm happy to provide for minimal costs so I can try to recover mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 26
I "borrowed" some parts of 3DR Solo logos and had one designed and made up by a vinyl sign maker. A friend put together a 30" diameter circle made of a lightweight fiber board about 1/4" thick with routered smooth edges and also a routered smooth cutout carrying handle. I wish it was a little larger in diameter (probably at least 36") but I'm very pleased with the overall look. If anybody wants the digital layout to get printed, I'm happy to provide for minimal costs so I can try to recover mine.
I had something made out of very similar material but it blew away when Solo came in to land. Any problems with yours?

I had something made out of very similar material but it blew away when Solo came in to land. Any problems with yours?

No, this is very substantial material and not affected by air movement created by Solo. It is some kind of high density fiber. It needed to be smooth enough, unlike most plywood, to allow the vinyl to be applied to it.

Reactions: Maddog
"Gym floor mats" (available at Home Depot and probably sporting goods stores) are thick foam squares with jigsaw-puzzle edges that fit snugly together. I bought a set of four 24×24 inch squares, which fits easily in my car truck, and is light enough to carry anywhere, but makes a steady 48×48 inch landing pad for about $18 total. Mine are light gray on one side and dark gray on the other side, to make them less eye-catching in the video. Brightly colored ones are also available.

Just got a set of Relish3D legs- they are real nice! About $30, but so much nicer than the 3D printed ones on ebay.
You can use a piece of 1/2 plywood and use you artistic talents to paint an H on it. Home Depot has pieces already cut, or you may have a piece lying around?

what is these Relish3D legs - look like? have a picture?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela