Keep having to calibrate and level and battery going crazy

Reaction score
I am wondering what's wrong with my drone. Everytime I go out to fly my drone, it either keep having Compass Error or Level Error. After 3-5 times restarting and flipping the drones millions of times, then it's working fine.

Does this happen often to you guys as well?

I have flown with battery #1 and #2 last week with fair amount of minutes to fly, 8-10 minutes. However, this time they lasted no more than 3 minutes until I am up to battery #3, then it's better. Is something wrong with my drone or the batteries? I was afraid it's gonna crash when I tried to land it with 6% remaining coming back...it's descending slow as hell. LOL But 2-3 minutes of flight time to 10-15% battery left is raising cause for concerns. :(

I am wondering what's wrong with my drone. Everytime I go out to fly my drone, it either keep having Compass Error or Level Error. After 3-5 times restarting and flipping the drones millions of times, then it's working fine.

I rarr have flown with battery #1 and #2 last week wi. fair amount of minutes to fly, 8-10 minutes. However, this time they lasted no more than 3 minutes until I am up to battery #3, then it's better. Is something wrong with my drone or the batteries? I was afraid it's gonna crash when I tried to land it with 6% remaining coming back...it's descending slow as hell. LOL But 2-3 minutes of flight time to 10-15% battery left is raising cause for concerns. :(
This is what ive learned .when u calibrate compass make sure u are away from any metal..even concrete. Because of rebar.. and make sure u fully complete the compass calibration there is a green loading bar u can barley see make sure it loads to the end.. and level calibration do inside house on a level table.use a bubble level on ur table .i ruined my first 2batteries brcause i always kept them fully charged all the time..this will ruin the cells..keep them 1/2 charged when not in use..this is storage mode.then top them off before u go fly..i have 3 chargers now.and 8 batteries i get 15 to 17 mins of flight with gimble..i get 20 to 23 mins on the one with no gimble..never run ur batteries under 15% ..landing at 6% battery is not good for ur battery i learned all this on this forum .i rarely have to do compass or level calibration .

Last edited:
Also get that new v2 gps shield to replace that cheap copper one.these are made from somekind of polymer instead of the cheap stock copper ones .I get 10 sats in about 30 seconds then in the air I get 12 to 14...every time i go fly im in the air in about 2 mins ...there is a guy on ebay who sells them for $9.99..I ordered 2 but they sent me 3 they work great. Since I've installed them I haven't had to calibrate any thing..my hdop is a .7 with these sheilds.

Last edited:

I have flown with battery #1 and #2 last week with fair amount of minutes to fly, 8-10 minutes. However, this time they lasted no more than 3 minutes until I am up to battery #3, then it's better. Is something wrong with my drone or the batteries? I was afraid it's gonna crash when I tried to land it with 6% remaining coming back...it's descending slow as hell. LOL But 2-3 minutes of flight time to 10-15% battery left is raising cause for concerns. :(
Also make sure that you aren't wearing anything with a magnetic clasp, bracelet, watch etc. If there's rebar in the concrete, or even metal in parts of the ground, that can cause a compass error. Even a slight slope or bump on the ground will cause a level error. When I was flying off road, I had to make a level launchpad before the drone would consider taking off.

Reactions: daniel s
Also make sure that you aren't wearing anything with a magnetic clasp, bracelet, watch etc. If there's rebar in the concrete, or even metal in parts of the ground, that can cause a compass error. Even a slight slope or bump on the ground will cause a level error. When I was flying off road, I had to make a level launchpad before the drone would consider taking off.
Good call on the magnetic clasp. I don't wear jewerly but that could mess with compass. ;)

It was leaked footage like this one that made 3DR go out of business! [emoji15][emoji12]

View attachment 8553 New shield vs old copper shield. I ordered 2 but got 3 by mistake.. if u need one let me know I have 1. Xtra.
Wow, looks much cleaner than the flimsy foil paper from grocery story!!! What material is the new shield made from?

I tried to make my own out of blister packaging. Check out the pic. I wonder if clear plastic works the same or just like a shield is missing like nothing is there. Lol20180420_014838.jpg

Wow, looks much cleaner than the flimsy foil paper from grocery story!!! What material is the new shield made from?

I tried to make my own out of blister packaging. Check out the pic. I wonder if clear plastic works the same or just like a shield is missing like nothing is there. LolView attachment 8590
Made from noise absorbing polymer .top secret nasa ..stuff. Lolo helps with any kind of rf noise that messes with gps. ..sat lock is real quick. .way better than cheap copper shield. I get 10 sats in about 30 seconds.. locked and ready to fly in about 45 secs hdop is a .7..in the air I get 3 to 4 mote sats

[QU. .iE="AlienPanda, post: 135455, member: 14657"]Wow, looks much cleaner than the flimsy foil paper from grocery story!!! What material is the new shield made from?

I tried to make my own out of blister packaging. Check out the pic. I wonder if clear plastic works the same or just like a shield is missing like nothing is there. LolView attachment 8590[/QUOTE]
Lol .nice diy sheild. Let me know how it works

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela