Its a solo... wait.. its a DIY X8 wait ... its a Open SoloX8

Dang!! That thing looks huge! What will it be carrying?

Man, I've been itching to build something from one of my spare Solos but just have too many things already on my plate. But I love seeing what other people are doing!

Successful maiden with the IMX6. It is a very odd sensation flying this thing with a solo controller and watching it do cable cams and other smart shots
will take some getting used to after flying it with a taranis these many months

Successful maiden with the IMX6. It is a very odd sensation flying this thing with a solo controller and watching it do cable cams and other smart shots
will take some getting used to after flying it with a taranis these many months
Nice!

How does it feel in the air vs the Solo? You know, in terms of agileness, responsiveness, that sort of thing...

I imagine you need to dial back on the speed in smart shots with hard, quick direction changes.

the cable cam and orbit were quite smooth with the speed sliders on medium in solex.
It felt amazingly like a solo on the sticks but in the air it is just bigger. So if solo was as big I think it would feel the same.
Right now the only thing I am looking at is a strange osolation sometimes in hover, small but there. I did auto tune on it with RC and without the IMX6 and it was nice. But I know one guy that did auto tune after the IMX6 and it worked fine. So I am going to try auto tune on it that way.

Big challenge now is the gimbal, I have a cable coming so I can test the video feed from the Zcamera e1

Reactions: erikgraham and DJMc
I am looking at is a strange osolation sometimes in hover
Perhaps try a CompassMot, for vibrations, I had a vibration problem on a DIY causing an oscillation and it helped a lot..Also raising the HERE as far from the motors as possible helped me..
From Randy MacKay
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
that is pretty cool, but not what I am experiencing. I have seen my stock solos do this sometimes, it is very small wobbling when in loiter forward and back. On solo when it happens landing and taking off make it go away
It is like some resonance vibration is getting to the IMUs
I have this one hard mounted and my vibes chart is not bad, I think I am going to try some sorbotane on the plate. if not I will isolate the Pixhawk, or look for the vibrations which I suspect is coming from my retracts

Reactions: XevetS
Ah ok yeah the CompassMot compensates for vibrations that effect the compass itself causing it to misalign itself to the true compass heading making it seem like the Quad is drunk, I have a video of my DIY doing this, it eventually caused it to crash. At 4 minutes into the video is the moment it oscillates in loiter (fly) mode, you can see me shake my head thinking wtf?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham
for those who might use this for a reference picture note the Here is intentionally mounted backwards, I offset the orientation in MP by 180 degrees

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea