It finally happened, my gopro died.....

Reaction score
So I got this GP4 Hero Black brand new upon the 2nd month of release (hey, it was worth the wait as I managed to get a $50 discount!). Worked hard and steady all the while.

Day before yesterday, I go to check a recording (I use it as a dash cam) and it was coming up SD ERR. Hey, no problem I though, I'll just reformat. That seemed to work and I started recording again. When I went to take the cam down I saw the message again "SD ERR".

So put the memory card in the pc, formatted it and did a scan disc. Put the card back in the cam "SD ERR".

So put the memory card into my other GP4 Black......... no issues. Took a working card put it back into the original GP4 Black "SD ERR". Noticed the LCD was slightly greyish looking too (usually a sign of an overheat problem).

Tried uploading the firmware again, but ran into two issues. #1: Since the GP4 isn't able to read any SD card placed in it, I can't load the firmware onto a memory card for it to reload. #2: Since the GP4 is running the latest software, I can't use the app to "update" the software.

Liveview still works fine via the app, plug it into a HDMI cable and it works just fine, it's just stopped reading SD cards.

I will attempt to disassemble to ensure the contacts aren't damaged ( I already attacked it with an air duster but to no avail), however with the LCD display giving issues, I fear the worst for my little cam.

Tis a sad day for me. :(

So I got this GP4 Hero Black brand new upon the 2nd month of release (hey, it was worth the wait as I managed to get a $50 discount!). Worked hard and steady all the while.

Day before yesterday, I go to check a recording (I use it as a dash cam) and it was coming up SD ERR. Hey, no problem I though, I'll just reformat. That seemed to work and I started recording again. When I went to take the cam down I saw the message again "SD ERR".

So put the memory card in the pc, formatted it and did a scan disc. Put the card back in the cam "SD ERR".

So put the memory card into my other GP4 Black......... no issues. Took a working card put it back into the original GP4 Black "SD ERR". Noticed the LCD was slightly greyish looking too (usually a sign of an overheat problem).

Tried uploading the firmware again, but ran into two issues. #1: Since the GP4 isn't able to read any SD card placed in it, I can't load the firmware onto a memory card for it to reload. #2: Since the GP4 is running the latest software, I can't use the app to "update" the software.

Liveview still works fine via the app, plug it into a HDMI cable and it works just fine, it's just stopped reading SD cards.

I will attempt to disassemble to ensure the contacts aren't damaged ( I already attacked it with an air duster but to no avail), however with the LCD display giving issues, I fear the worst for my little cam.

Tis a sad day for me. :(

Sorry to hear about this! Sounds like the camera went south and you might want to see what GoPro says about fixing it? The problem is, they cost
way too much and they are out of my budget and good luck with your camera.

Sorry to hear about this! Sounds like the camera went south and you might want to see what GoPro says about fixing it? The problem is, they cost
way too much and they are out of my budget and good luck with your camera.
Thanks for the kind words, I'll contact them, but being over 2 years old it's doubtful it's under warranty. Still, if it's repairable for under $200, it would still be worth it compared to buying a new GP4 or even refurbished.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll contact them, but being over 2 years old it's doubtful it's under warranty. Still, if it's repairable for under $200, it would still be worth it compared to buying a new GP4 or even refurbished.
Well, I just can't see buying a GoPro because of the price I fitted my cheap GitUp Git1 to the Solo's gimbal and the gimbal is a real good one!
Real impressive how good it works the only thing is, you have to turn on the camera before a flight which is no big deal since I'm use to
doing the same with my X380 quad but the difference in the videos compared to the X380 is very obvious which is better. Good Luck!

Bummer, hope you can get it sorted out.... Wish there were a universal tool to clean out these little USB/HDMI/Card slots. I know I've battled with fuzzy bunnies on the micro usb port previously on my phone.

Bummer, hope you can get it sorted out.... Wish there were a universal tool to clean out these little USB/HDMI/Card slots. I know I've battled with fuzzy bunnies on the micro usb port previously on my phone.
There is this https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Cleaning-Microsd-Micro/dp/B0015EL9XC which will clean em out, there's another tool with 4 ends on it for cleaning USB slots too.
Here's the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Laserline-Cl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V93AYFN9CZX9WV3KDZBY
(and then cancelled because I didn't seen a microsd slot cleaner on it)

However, the fact that the menu is awfully grey looking and has lines through it ( I'll try and get a comparison pic to stick up here), that kinda hints it may be something a bit more fatal.

At least it gives me a chance to open it up, see if there's anything completely obviously wrong. I remember when my LG plasma TV went down I wasn't happy, but found a bizzare solution of removing the motherboard, throwing it in the oven for 10 mins at 310 degree's......... it worked! Turns out the plasma got so hot and cooled so suddenly it would crack the solder on the mainboard. Throwing it in the oven melted those cracks back together.

At the very least I'll have a few spare parts go a gopro hero 4!

Reactions: RichWest
Hey IrishmanPDX-
This could be a good candidate for a Back Bone Ribcage modification. Take a look at this on the web- will allow you to still use on your Solo but will also let you change the lens. It come with internal components that you install- check it out on youtube!

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Well my plan is as follows...

1: Clean contacts inside camera to see if that makes a lick of difference.
2: If not, then take apart camera to see if there's any obvious faults (it would be nice if it was just a loose ribbon cable)
3: If fault cannot be found, don't buy backbone kit and then camera is used for parts and as a prop for photo's.
4: If fault is found and it's repairable.... then consider a Back Bone Modification kit (after all, interchangeable lenses are cool!)
5: Pick up jaw from floor after seeing prices of Backbone kits and then just buy some cheap lenses and the
Peau Productions fix kit!

Oh? I didn't say it was inexpensive; however, for $200- you get those internals which could be one of your malfunctioning parts ( if it did ) and if you get a Back Bone Ribcage Air- already done- they are like $600! But it gives your gopro a lot of different applications- christ; you could become a wedding photographer with a pocket sized camera PLUS a drone!

Funnily enough, I was thinking of ways to get a fledgling drone business off the ground (yes I went there) and I had a great idea. Contact local aspiring film makers on kickstarters etc. Instead of donating money to them, see if they could use drone footage in their project and in return, you get credited on their video production. Damn... now I'm thinking I need a Back Bone Ribcage Air for that purpose..... hmmm,

There is this https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Card-Cleaning-Microsd-Micro/dp/B0015EL9XC which will clean em out, there's another tool with 4 ends on it for cleaning USB slots too.
Here's the one I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/Laserline-Cl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V93AYFN9CZX9WV3KDZBY
(and then cancelled because I didn't seen a microsd slot cleaner on it)

However, the fact that the menu is awfully grey looking and has lines through it ( I'll try and get a comparison pic to stick up here), that kinda hints it may be something a bit more fatal.

At least it gives me a chance to open it up, see if there's anything completely obviously wrong. I remember when my LG plasma TV went down I wasn't happy, but found a bizzare solution of removing the motherboard, throwing it in the oven for 10 mins at 310 degree's......... it worked! Turns out the plasma got so hot and cooled so suddenly it would crack the solder on the mainboard. Throwing it in the oven melted those cracks back together.

At the very least I'll have a few spare parts go a gopro hero 4!
Wow, had no clue there were actual purposed tools.....may have to break out of my no-amazon buying syndrome...

Plasma TV's are like radiant heaters. I only buy LED TV's now, just because they produce mucho less heat.

I agree the screen will show over heating signs. A bad SD card will fire them up quick. I know I've read at some point about thermal paste in the GP, may have been an older model.... If the GP4 does have it, wonder if it has dried out.

Do follow up with what you find out. Mine is at two years and has seen a lot a use, heat and humidity. Still works fine, but would like it to stay that way.

Well that's the other thing, since this was used as a dash cam a lot (my brother is a truck driver, we send each other mad clips of crazy ass driving), it's experienced a lot of use in direct sunlight without much air circulation. I'll see what I can do to try and fix this issue (if it can be fixed). What I don't want to do is invest more than a new camera would cost trying to fix it (currently $270 brand new from Amazon).

Yeah, plasma's are radiant heaters alright, great in the winter but sucks during the summer. However 3D wise, they have a bit more "pop" than the LCD counterparts, at the time the black levels were also a lot better (although that's changed greatly now). Next upgrade will be a 4K system, but that's a bit down the road...... especially if I keep buying solo stuff!

Reactions: RichWest
you need to come up with a device that shades your gopro while you are on the road- maybe a little piece of reflective tape that deflects the direct sunlight

Replacing the mainboard will most likely fix it. I got one on ebay for $70 and it fixed a freezing issue. Less than 30 minutes to do and youtube channels help with the teardown.

Irishman-
Look on craigslist for a gopro- the better cameras get on phones- the more gopros go on the chopping block- I see the gopro hero 4 blk on there a lot for $100-$125
Just gotta keep looking

gonna miss my gopro when it dies. That thing has been a beast. I thought for sure when I dropped it through a 50 foot tree onto a metal roof I had totally destroyed it, but nope its still going.
They are getting cheap though and until the 6 comes out the 4 is still a great airborne camera. Just have to get that goofy fisheye lens out of it.

you need to come up with a device that shades your gopro while you are on the road- maybe a little piece of reflective tape that deflects the direct sunlight
Agreed, I found turning the front window de-mister on helps as that blows cold air directly up the window and onto the gopro. Maybe power externally and leave the battery compartment open with a fan circulating air inside...... see, this is why I need to invest in a 3d printer, custom solo accessories and gopro accessories to be built..

Irishman-
Look on craigslist for a gopro- the better cameras get on phones- the more gopros go on the chopping block- I see the gopro hero 4 blk on there a lot for $100-$125
Just gotta keep looking
Yes but it's another $100 for the body guard to make sure I don't get mugged... [emoji1]

gonna miss my gopro when it dies. That thing has been a beast. I thought for sure when I dropped it through a 50 foot tree onto a metal roof I had totally destroyed it, but nope its still going.
They are getting cheap though and until the 6 comes out the 4 is still a great airborne camera. Just have to get that goofy fisheye lens out of it.
I did get two years out of it with heavy constant use, so I guess I can't complain too much. However three birds with 1 working gopro between them?. not ideal. So..... when are we getting a gimbal and new camera support? Has anyone ever asked that before? [emoji1]

Reactions: pyrate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc