Is the gimbal too sensitive for travel while attached?

Reaction score
Why is it recommended to not travel with the gimbal attached? Is it just that delicate? It fits, attached, while in the original Solo box. Is that just not enough support?

It's just a minor pain to have to disassemble it so often. I've resorted to just having a passenger carefully hold the Solo with gimbal attached while sitting in a passenger seat.

Why is it recommended to not travel with the gimbal attached? Is it just that delicate? It fits, attached, while in the original Solo box. Is that just not enough support?

It's just a minor pain to have to disassemble it so often. I've resorted to just having a passenger carefully hold the Solo with gimbal attached while sitting in a passenger seat.
Never heard that before! Solos come available with pre-installed gimbals utilizing the foam, so what's the diffrerence? Just use the foam insert.

Never heard that before! Solos come available with pre-installed gimbals utilizing the foam, so what's the diffrerence? Just use the foam insert.

I believe that was the recommendation (to not travel with it installed) in the 3dr gimbal installation video. Maybe that's just for those who don't have that travel foam insert?

Is the foam insert the same as the one in the sold-separately gimbal box? If you don't know, do you have a picture of your foam insert you use while travelling with it attached to Solo, so I can compare? Thank you!

I don't even use the foam since I got the backpack
it has a soft foam pad that the gimbal sits on when its stowed
never had a problem and been carrying it like that for over a year

I don't even use the foam since I got the backpack
it has a soft foam pad that the gimbal sits on when its stowed
never had a problem and been carrying it like that for over a year

I now have true backpack envy. I'll be watching the best buy prices like a hawk.

I believe that was the recommendation (to not travel with it installed) in the 3dr gimbal installation video. Maybe that's just for those who don't have that travel foam insert?

Is the foam insert the same as the one in the sold-separately gimbal box? If you don't know, do you have a picture of your foam insert you use while travelling with it attached to Solo, so I can compare? Thank you!
I am definitely not going to take pics of various foam inserts, which I am sure are the same in both my pre-installed gimbal and my boxed gimbals. The hypothesis on the forum here is that ALL the pre-installed gimbals were installed at the factory long after the bird was originally manufactured (and at that time, the Rev B GPS was installed.) I would be about 99.99% certain that every gimbal came off the line with the same foam. You are over-thinking this.

Reactions: spartaHawk
I am too broke from Christmas, but I will trade you for the owners manual that came in the box with my Solo......o_O
If you've lost your foam insert gimbal lock, it should be easy enough to create one yourself. Study the pictures for and cut/carve your own out of foam. In a pinch, you can just stuff a clean cloth in gap between gimbal/camera/Solo to limit movement.

Last edited:
I have thrown mine away. Don't think that it will help anyway. Just try to not abuse your gimbal!! and all should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela