Invest in the Solo?

Reaction score
Hi 'Soloers'. Had a Solo for two years but, due to wife's illness, it's been sat unused. Technology has moved on, the Mavic Air/Pro and the Parrot Anafi look particularly good. A Solo owner met on a film set said the Anafi was especially good for photography. So, my question: Stick with the Solo, invest in any hardware/software upgrades, and my time, or should I go with a newer model? Main interest is photography - landscape/property and Paddleboarding. Grateful for any/all opinions and advice.

I think it depends on if you have the time to put into it and a few skills to make it happen. I started out with a standard solo with gimbal and GoPro. I am also a stills photographer and wanted to fit a better camera. Over 18months I developed a platform with my solos (3) to do what I want. I needed to do some soldering, software updates, make some brackets, test fly etc but it was well worth it and I am the sort of person that enjoys that kind of challenge and getting my hands dirty.

Batteries are now becoming a problem but again with the battery mod that people worked out ,I now have 3 new packs that works great, again needed a few tools and some soldering skills but I made them up and they work fine.

I will admit I did a lot of reading on this forum and did get some help along the way with answers to a few questions but now a few people are doing the same thing which is great. To have a little Nikon j5 with a 1 inch sensor and a 10mm f.28 lens is exactly what I wanted

Take a look at these two threads,

Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter my set up is in this thread

3DR + NO-GoPro image thread this is some of the photography we have been doing with our solos

I hope this helps, totally up to you, I have helped a few along the way, sharing what I have learnt and I have learnt off other here. I think its a great platform and with some great people and ideas, it lives on.

Robpower:
Sorry to butt in but could you provide a link to the battery mod that you mentioned in your post?

I think it depends on if you have the time to put into it and a few skills to make it happen. I started out with a standard solo with gimbal and GoPro. I am also a stills photographer and wanted to fit a better camera. Over 18months I developed a platform with my solos (3) to do what I want. I needed to do some soldering, software updates, make some brackets, test fly etc but it was well worth it and I am the sort of person that enjoys that kind of challenge and getting my hands dirty.

Batteries are now becoming a problem but again with the battery mod that people worked out ,I now have 3 new packs that works great, again needed a few tools and some soldering skills but I made them up and they work fine.

I will admit I did a lot of reading on this forum and did get some help along the way with answers to a few questions but now a few people are doing the same thing which is great. To have a little Nikon j5 with a 1 inch sensor and a 10mm f.28 lens is exactly what I wanted

Take a look at these two threads,

Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter my set up is in this thread

3DR + NO-GoPro image thread this is some of the photography we have been doing with our solos

I hope this helps, totally up to you, I have helped a few along the way, sharing what I have learnt and I have learnt off other here. I think its a great platform and with some great people and ideas, it lives on.

Robpower, many thanks for your thoughts. I'll take your advice, do some reading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela