Interesting. Who can log hours as a Pilot

Reaction score
I'm starting my drone logging. Should have two years ago but now ready to service commercially. I came across the comment of drone pilots not being able to document as Pilot In Command(PIC). No where does it state a drone pilot can log the recent flight experience requirements. Very interesting.

FAR 61.51(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights.

Now this also means FAA pilots should be logging all drone hours as PIC of a register aircraft N####.

While the language may not be there, the intent is. Just because the FAR has not been yet amended, the intent is clear. And, given that UAS are legally considered Civil Aircraft in per Part 91, logging is indeed required. As are maintenance logs. A smart UAS pilot logs his air time, training time, battery cycles, and maintenance. If you're in possession of a 333, you MUST do this, in addition to your monthly/quarterly reports to FAA. When Part 107 is executed, this is already written into the FARs.
And yes, a rated pilot should log drone hours.

One fairly glaring difference; people who fly drones aren't pilots. They're operators. Both in fact and language, in military and civilian worlds. Planes are piloted, drones are operated. A pilot sits inside the airframe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo