Welcome to 3DRPilots.com

1. mike_kelly

I replaced my stock motors with surplus Iris motors that were made for 3DR by Tiger Motor. They are a 2213-950kv and are very high quality motors. I got mine from Multirotor Mania for $10 each. They fit in the motor pods but you must ream out the hole a tiny bit to clear the larger C clip on the bottom of the Tiger Motor.
    These motors have adapters for spin on props so there are CW and CCW versions. The motors are, of course, the same and only the prop adapters are different.

I don't like spin-on props so I replaced the stock motors purposely to get T-Motors 12mm two bolt prop system.

These motors work very nicely with carbon 10x45 props on the Solo. I will use FCmodel 20L2 folding prop hubs, once they arrive, with Graupner R-Fold props.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. RichWest

That's quite the deal. Since your flying 1045 props, what kind of flight time are you getting with these 950's?

And why do you not like spin on props?

3. mike_kelly

I just got this Solo and installed all the mods so I have not done flight time tests yet. But my eCalc predictions show a similar 18 minutes. But I built a XuGong folding quad with the same motors and the same AUW as the Solo and it also gets 18m although it is running 11x4.7.

I was very impressed with how nicely tuned the Solo is right out of the box. I have a lot of other Arducopter buillds and none of them fly as stably as the Solo. It is a little tame but that is desirable in this craft.

I have a prejudice against spin-on props because with large >15" props in windy conditions, where the multirotor had to make sudden moves to keep in place, it can rev a motor up and then stop suddenly and the momentum of the prop can unscrew it. Not pretty. I am sure it is much less likely with a 10" prop but I am not willing to take a chance at damaging another aircraft that way.

4. RichWest

Cool, 18 min would be awesome. Look forward to hearing of your actual results. I can only imagine how much inertial is in 15" props, the 10 and 11's seem to be no issue off of Solo stock motors.

I have T-Motor MT2216-12's installed with 1045 APC, it's a 800kv motor. I'm getting roughly 15min when landing at +20% battery. My one motor cost more than your four.... Even so, the upgrade was the best investment I made to Solo, no regrets.

Solo Keith and Saijin_Naib like this.
  5. Dash Hewes

Thanks and hats off to MK, as requested please keep us informed on your mods.

My personal assessment in the late, valuable forum input has been very marginal.

Certainly not like the old days of 2015.

Solo Keith likes this.
  6. Maddog

I'd also be interested in the noise level/smoothness compared to stock. Thanks Mike!

7. mike_kelly

I have been building for a couple of years and initally I had a lot of trouble with failures of ESC's and motors. When I finally switched to Hobbywing Xrotor ESC's and T-motor I never had a problem again. I am dubious of high priced items these days because so much is just the same junk with high priced lipstick on it.

But in the case of T-Motor they are noticeably smoother. They use larger bearings and shafts. The windings are clean and uniform. But I am still a cheapskate and I take advantage of surplus like the 2213-950kv from 3DR. I bought 10 when they were dumping their stock at $5 per motor. But even at $10 from Multirotor Mania, who did the same thing, they are a good buy. I also get them surplus when someone is not doing a build or for some reasoning getting rid of new motors.

I kind feel bad about intruding over here because the Solo was always designed as a tool for cinematographers but now that the Open Solo project has brought it back from the dead it is a target for the DIY crowd. It offers features that are just not cheaply available to the DIY community. My Holy Grail is to have HD Video, RC Control and telemetry over one transceiver radio, which the Solo offers, but it is very hard to find in the DIY arena. Usually we have to have three radios on an aircraft to do the same thing, which poses problems.

So I am using another donor Solo to build a 680mm quad with Solo guts which should have 25m of flight time, at least that is what I am shooting for.

8. Freebird32

I'm having a hard time finding prop adapters for these 2213 motors. Anyone have a link to a source ? I see a lot of 3 screw adapters, but these motors use only 2 screws. Mine all came with CCW (no choice), so I need some CW adapters.

9. mike_kelly

There is a long thread on RCGroups about this subject when 3DR dumped these motors and everyone was looking for prop adapters.

3DR Iris+ 2213 950kv;Tested, and Prop Adapter Options - RC Groups

Of course you don't need CW adapters unless you want spin-on props, otherwise just use Nylock nuts. All the motors are exactly the same only the prop adapters differ.

10. Solo Keith

Still take my T-Motor out every once in a while & they still perform flawlessly.

RichWest likes this.