Improved GPS Shield Causes Magnetic Interference Problem

Reaction score
Website
www.westernrockart.org
Brand new solo, out of the box. Worked fine.

Then, installed a newly purchased improved GPS shield, over a REV B board, and a MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE warning popped up.

Then then, removed the new shield, put the old one back in, and cardboard spacer, and everything worked fine again.

WTF ??

Apparently it changed enough. Removing a huge sheet of copper is pretty significant. The leg compass may not see it but the compass in the pixhawk a few inches away probably does. If the calibration was already marginal, this isn't surprising at all.

Correct. I have a Sony camera hung under a Solo and actually depending on the pitch of the camera I have had to do a compass calibration. Maybe if the camera is on or off the same would be true. It does not take much.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Noticed the same with our Canon SX260 cameras when set on the static camera mount in nadir mode (close to the body of the Solo). We'd routinely get compass calibration errors if the camera was powered on before the Solo had fully booted. Perhaps here order of operations matters as well, especially if there is an RF-noisy payload nearby.

I also noticed some substrates would give me a calibration error (some rocks in the fields), so I would check maybe you're not powering ontop of somewhere noisy.

Reactions: David Boulanger
How can I put a different camera on solo instead of a gopro? Does the stock HDMI that's comes out of solo connect right into the Sony camera? And or different cameras? Because I purchased a 1080p 4k cheap camera and tried to plug and play keep in mind I'm not using a gimbal. And I cannot get picture? I'd hate to spend the money on a Sony or more expensive camera and it not work. Cam you please share with me how you did that?

How can I put a different camera on solo instead of a gopro? Does the stock HDMI that's comes out of solo connect right into the Sony camera? And or different cameras? Because I purchased a 1080p 4k cheap camera and tried to plug and play keep in mind I'm not using a gimbal. And I cannot get picture? I'd hate to spend the money on a Sony or more expensive camera and it not work. Cam you please share with me how you did that?
Flying blind, no HDMI out. We ran autonomous missions with the camera for mapping/survey purpose.

I use a Panasonic TX110 for my still shots, take a look at this thread

https://3drpilots.com/threads/camera-mount-lumix-tz110.8931/

So are some cameras compatible and some not or is it my hdmi cable is that why my cheap cam isn't working

I don't believe I have a tv out on that cam, do you know what settings I should have it on

I would read everything at dashcamtalk about that camera. I see in their review of that cam they list "Crystal clear HDMI output". That output does not stay on by default or it would kill the battery. So in the menu will be "TV out" or similar and you can get FPV.

Every thing I look up about it says FPV N/A, so sad. O well that's what I get for not reading about it before I bought it. So just going to look for a gopro. If anyone has one forsale PLEASE let me know. Thanks guys for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela