Import polygons or WPs into mission planner?

Reaction score
I'm teaching myself how to use mission planner but I can't see a way import a polygon or group of way points defining a polygon from google earth.

I was told before that this was possible, but I can't see how. I've created simple gpx files but they aren't recognised when using the Load WP File, which is the only thing I can see on the flight plan screen. Is there something I am missing?

If I can't do this with mission planner, is there another program similar that can fly missions and allow imports for locating surveys from arcgis/google earth data?

MissionPlanner can import .SHP (ESRI shapefile) and .poly (MissionPlanner file).

Reactions: Damien
In the end I found a good workflow: in GE I made a .kml of vector waypoints for each predefined polygon; used a converter to convert to .shp; then in MP, right click > draw polygon > from SHP... worked perfect. Made about 120 survey areas to cover 25km2 flawlessly. I love my solo even more than before!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
To simplify your workflow a bit, I'd recommend doing your digitizing in QGIS with the QuickMapServices plugin installed, and the Community Pack enabled within QuickMapServices so you can get a huge list of web map services you can easily put as a background layer.

Or, you can digitize directly in MissionPlanner to the .poly filetype, but I find that MissionPlanner's digitizing is a bit fiddly and I don't really like it.

Reactions: VaFlyer and Damien

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40