If you were planning to upgrade to a new drone...

Reaction score
Which drone would you pick? I KNOW this is a 3DR Solo forum, and I KNOW they aren't coming out with anything new, so for those of you looking to replace or augment your Solo, what are you looking into?

I'm pretty impressed with the sensor options on the DJI Phantom 4 Pro; what do folks on this forum think about it?

If I didn't have 4 already, I'd get another Solo.
With the Green Cube, Solex, M8N GPS's, Open Solo and AC 3.5+ (thanks Matt!) the firmware/software/app future is brighter than ever.
Sure the DJI Spark is smaller and "fun to hand launch" but Solo is fun and a work horse too.
Sure the ZenMuse is a fantastic photo/video platform, but at what cost $$$???
I flew one of my Solo's today in a gusty windy environment just to see how it did with OpenSolo + AC 3.5.3.
Much better than I had hoped. (Steady 15MPH winds with Gusts to 30+MPH), Yep it moved around a bit, but in general, it stayed where I put it, unfortunately, the pix I took didn't show the lean the Solo had to keep in place, Sorry no pix...

Reactions: Freebird32
Which drone would you pick? I KNOW this is a 3DR Solo forum, and I KNOW they aren't coming out with anything new, so for those of you looking to replace or augment your Solo, what are you looking into?

I'm pretty impressed with the sensor options on the DJI Phantom 4 Pro; what do folks on this forum think about it?
I've a Mavic Platinum on order. Something easier to pack/travel with plus I just like the variety.

Reactions: brianuc4

As soon as I'm able to spend the extra cash,i plan to buy another Solo,..because I only have one.

Reactions: XevetS

I'm seriously considering selling the Solo to buy a Phantom 3 or 4. My main issue is not being able to control the Gopro from my controller. Plus if I try and record in anything above 1080p, the Solo and app freak out with glitchy freezing live feed. Not to mention the Phantom has more range than Solo right out of the box. Just my opinion..

Not DJI:

DJI's scanner can nab info on drones mid-flight

It can only monitor its own UAVs...for now.

[https://o-aolcdn-com]

David Lumb, 12h ago

This morning, Chinese drone company DJI demonstrated its new AeroScope device that can track UAVs in a 5-kilometer radius. At the moment, it can only monitor the company's drones, but it's a potentially potent tool for law enforcement (or other DJI-authorized customers) to keep an eye on aerial activity within their radius.

The AeroScope tracks drones via the radio transmission between them and their remote control. This gives the device everything it needs to know, from the UAV's location and speed to its registration or serial number, and even where it took off -- and its operator's position. DJI preempted questions about the AeroScope in a series of tweets, assuring that it couldn't take control of a drone, receive videos or photos from it or automatically transmit personally identifiable information. Another tweet pointed out the system's low cost to law enforcement, ability to theoretically track every existing drone and that it "respects the rights of responsible pilots."

I would upgrade my Solo.
The fact we do not have to be at the mercy of some (buggy) app limiting where and how I can fly and force updates is priceless for me. ;-)

Not DJI:

David Lumb, 12h ago

This morning, Chinese drone company DJI demonstrated its new AeroScope device that can track UAVs in a 5-kilometer radius. At the moment, it can only monitor the company's drones, but it's a potentially potent tool for law enforcement (or other DJI-authorized customers) to keep an eye on aerial activity within their radius.

The AeroScope tracks drones via the radio transmission between them and their remote control. This gives the device everything it needs to know, from the UAV's location and speed to its registration or serial number, and even where it took off -- and its operator's position. DJI preempted questions about the AeroScope in a series of tweets, assuring that it couldn't take control of a drone, receive videos or photos from it or automatically transmit personally identifiable information. Another tweet pointed out the system's low cost to law enforcement, ability to theoretically track every existing drone and that it "respects the rights of responsible pilots."
I personally think that's a benefit. I've seen videos of "pilots" flying over crowds of people and above traffic. It would make it easier for the authorities to prosecute people like this and keep people safe. Plus our hobby wouldn't get the bad reputation it's getting.

Not DJI:

David Lumb, 12h ago

I knew I was making the right decision to not go with DJI. Don't need a nanny over my shoulder, let alone one with dictatorship tendencies.

Reactions: JBAlaska
Already have in the fleet.. Mpp and p4p are my footage platforms and solo is my night flier.

I'm seriously considering selling the Solo to buy a Phantom 3 or 4. My main issue is not being able to control the Gopro from my controller. Plus if I try and record in anything above 1080p, the Solo and app freak out with glitchy freezing live feed. Not to mention the Phantom has more range than Solo right out of the box. Just my opinion..
For some reason I have none of the problems above.

Reactions: JBAlaska
I would not buy another commercially manufactured drone period. For me, I only bought the two Solos I have because they were dirt cheap and hackable.
I've custom built 4 multirotor craft already, and plan to build more. Next project is a very large heavy lift machine for agricultural spraying.

why not just choose camera settings before takeoff and hit "record" ? The sim card has plenty of room to edit out the parts you don't want. (assuming you have at least a 16gb card, or even 8gb) ... then just dump it to your computer ... with 32 GB you will run out of Solo batteries way before you run out of recording room.

My live feed did glitch out the other day when I tried to use 2k ..but I wasn't using a GoPro either .it was Xiaomi Yi cam..so not sure if GoPro will glitch or not.
FYI when I try and film in anything above 1080p my live feed is pretty much gone. And this is with a Gopro 4 black. Nothing but lines and static on my screen. Which is why I'm going to save up and get a Phantom. Nothing against the Solo, it's a fun bird. I just need more stability when it comes to filming.

FYI when I try and film in anything above 1080p my live feed is pretty much gone. And this is with a Gopro 4 black. Nothing but lines and static on my screen. Which is why I'm going to save up and get a Phantom. Nothing against the Solo, it's a fun bird. I just need more stability when it comes to filming.
Uggh..that kinda sucks..I was able to get my hands on a hero 4 black edition for a decent price yesterday and was hoping to be able to use the 2 and 4k functions..I'm cool with 1080 and all but when you get a cam that has that capability,it would be kinda nice to be able to use it..I wonder why it won't handle those resolutions? Seems like it wouldn't make any difference to me,but idk that's far beyond my knowledge.

Hopefully one of the veteran Solo users can shed some light on this but I'm just telling you my experience with the resolutions. Maybe there's some users that are able to use higher settings with successful fpv...not sure.

Reactions: overdriver999

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela