I have my FAA Section 333 Exemption

Reaction score
Website
drone-survey-photography.com
As close as I can tell I am number 1261 to get the exemption, I filed on May 31 and it has taken about 3 months. At that time there were about 400 application to process, now there are over 3000.

I don't have a pilots license so I cannot fly, but I am contemplating a number of ways to meet all the requirements. My son my get his license and be the PIC. Or I have a few pilots which I can pay to fly. I am really interesting in construction applications and learning a lot more about agriculture.

Any other ideas to help me get started would be appreciated. BTW in the legal post you can requires a copy of the template I used for the exemption, please do not crowd this post with requests or you can contact me by PM or email.

how does one get a pilot license? Just trying to learn all this myself as well

You can get a sport license, I have quotes for less than $5,000. A pilots license will most likely not be needed once the new regulations are in place but that will be 2017.

That sounds way more doable, at this time I plan on using my quad to get aerial shots of the venue for the events I cover. Is that something the sports license covers?

FYI - Airplane/instructor prices with fuel for modern LSA range from $160 to $220 per hour. Typically it should cost between $5000 to $8500 (this includes aircraft rental) to get properly trained and all the other required items by a qualified school.

Sorry to be 'SGT. Buzz Kill' - But flying is what I do... The above range of pricing would only be typical if you chose a block of time, say 3 to 4 months, without interruption of training of 3 to 4 days of flying per week. That also assumes you have the perfect aptitude for learning to fly. Everyone learns to to fly at slightly different pace.. And most of the time that's just not possible due to weather, personal and other. $5k 'zero to hero' would be more likely with an individual who's purchased an LSA and is receiving training in their newly acquired aircraft. Plus, you still need all the academic training materials, FAA written test(s), test prep-course, pilot supplies and the FAA Examiner LSA Check Ride.. all of which adds to the overall cost. Then there's solo flight time you'll need to prep for the FAA LSA Check Ride..Hence, closer to $8,500 than $5k.

Fear Not
, that's the typical response from a flight school, = best case scenario.. It can be done, it's just very rare..

If cost is the major issue or lack of needing to or wanting to fly fixed wing aircraft then waiting, as you suggested, until 2017 is good advice.

FWIW - Here's where I received my flying credentials ATP

I personally don't know what's up for the rules coming in 2017 but a friend in the Regional FSDO office, an old USAF buddy, has indicated that some sort of certification will be required to fly anything, as it is now, with commercial implications, at minimum an academic cert., is what I'm currently being told.

Cheers - I hope you learn to Fly - It's a life altering experience.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

That sounds way more doable, at this time I plan on using my quad to get aerial shots of the venue for the events I cover. Is that something the sports license covers?
I don't know - currently you need a 'Commercial Pilot License' ticket for making money from all forms of motorized flight.. I just don't know how that applies to shooting venues which are usually in Class G Airspace (unrestricted). Major park(s) venues such as Nascar, NFL, Disney Land etc, always have a TFR in place during games prohibiting flight within the immediate area and usually 1,000 to 2,000 above. I've heard of guys using small motorized blimps with a light weight 'tether' to circumvent the rule of 'controlled flight' for commercial use, with the venues' permission/involvement..

The FAA does provide waivers/permission on a case by case basis. You'd need an ongoing working relationship with a regional FSDO any results..

Reactions: 1264_Solo
I think we need to remember we are flying a very small toy. The need to a full pilots license for this type of flight is silly and dangerous. Do you really want thousands of people who what to fly a toy, flying a real aircraft? I do believe training is needed but I do not believe a full pilots license is needed.

The sport licence has been accepted by the FAA, a sport license is limited to few light aircraft and these are typically a very simple aircraft to fly. The number of flying hours is greatly reduced, I am not sure if it is the same groundschool. Also the cost of the aircraft for flight is alot less than a full airplane.

Attached is a summary, from FAA, describing the requirements that their new regulation would cover, a pilots license will not be required but training and reporting will be part of the program. Like I said they hope to have the regulation ready for review in September, it has to go for review and comment and then revision and finally implementation, the hope is for sometime in 2017.

Attachments

• 021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 31
I think we need to remember we are flying a very small toy. The need to a full pilots license for this type of flight is silly and dangerous. Do you really want thousands of people who what to fly a toy, flying a real aircraft? I do believe training is needed but I do not believe a full pilots license is needed.
Completely agree - but we are talking about the FAA

The sport licence has been accepted by the FAA, a sport license is limited to few light aircraft and these are typically a very simple aircraft to fly. The number of flying hours is greatly reduced, I am not sure if it is the same groundschool. Also the cost of the aircraft for flight is alot less than a full airplane.

LSA is a specific category and there are countless aircraft that conform and many more coming.. It's like you said it's way more affordable.. As to cost of flight, ease of flight etc.. As an instructor and a multi aircraft owner, I'm merely pointing out that the numbers you are reading are the absolute 'minimum'. By way of example, you're only required to have 40 hours of logged flight time to qualify for a private pilot license/check ride.. I know of NO ONE who's ever come close to achieving a PPL in under 65 hours and it's usually closer to 70 to 78 hours. Similarly, you will accrue more hours than the minimum required for LSA license prior to your check ride. Ground School is usually, but not always, self taught followed by the required written FAA LSA Exam. no biggie..

The really big thing for LSA license is that there's NO MEDICAL required - Only a valid drivers license.. Believe me that is HUGE.. Many guys ( over 55 ) want to fly but can't pass the 3rd Class Medical exam and they also don't care about being restricted to flying VFR day only. I rarely fly at night, maybe 10 hours a year but I do fly quite a bit, IFR, almost always.

Attached is a summary, from FAA, describing the requirements that their new regulation would cover, a pilots license will not be required but training and reporting will be part of the program. Like I said they hope to have the regulation ready for review in September, it has to go for review and comment and then revision and finally implementation, the hope is for sometime in 2017.

I hope it's sooner - They already know what they're going to implement, 98%.

Your quite correct, they are much less to own and operate. Most LSA's, new category in 2007/8, run on pump gas instead of the expensive 100LL (Thank you ROTAX) and while LSA's may be considered easier to fly, they are a little more expensive to insure, as a % of hull value, than fully certified aircraft due to the higher accident rates and less trained certificated pilots. Many of which are due to winds on final approach. LSA's are much lighter in comparison and with the lighter 'wing loads' becomes more difficult control in slightly windy conditions, 10 kts +.

And while it may not apply to you getting your LSA certificate per say, all insurance companies require 6 to 12 hours of dual transition training with an instructor in any LSA model change. Unless it's the exact make and model you trained in.. And most insurance companies will require annual currency training in type.. Welcome to my world.. I know - it doesn't really apply to you, I just really feel bad when students call for a quote and it's contrary what they've been told, perceived or otherwise.

Cheers!

The FAA doesn't specify the type of Sport Pilot's license. For those that don't know, there are different categories of certifications that include airplane, glider, gyroplane, lighter-than-aircraft, powered parachute, and weight shift control. Gliders and balloons only require 10 hours (min). The odd thing about the glider is that both the sport pilot certificate and private pilot cert require 10 hours.

I found a Part 61 school that has a LSA (Pipistrel Sinus) that is registered as a glider, not as a LSA. So, I'm using this plane/glider to obtain a private pilot cert (14 CFR 61.109(f)) with glider rating.

This should end up being less than $4k when I'm done.

If all you are trying to do is to get a pilot cert in order to satisfy the FAA, this may be a cheaper alternative. The hardest part is finding the right CFI and motor glider.

I submitted our 333 exemption on 7/20.

From a CFI - Just to clarify, that's a 'private pilot glider'.. And, yes, that would be the most cost effective way to acquire an FAA license for your stated purpose(s). Definitely cheaper than an LSA ticket.. ($6,000 to $8,500+) I believe what the FAA is looking for in the licensing, is the information contained within the 'written' exam.. i.e. airspace, rules & regs and common aeronautical knowledge.

Very good option - Good Call..

We have a local sport aircraft association which has a lot of options, I am still hesitant to get my pilots license. I worry about my life and home insurance once I have the license, I guess after I got it I could say I don't fly. For the limited number of commercial UAV flights I would probably do I think I could just team up with a pilot and pay them to fly and would not be much more than the $4-5K. If it is more then I should be making more $$, which is ok. I have discussed teaming with a couple experience pilots already.

I agree the plus side is getting the training which will help comply with the rules, seems now the locals are getting involved and making the rules more complicated.

@Drone-Survey-Photography
What type of notifications did you get as you went through the process?
I submitted mine on July 20th and received email same day that said "comment was submitted successfully" with tracking number.
But when I go to view current exemption requests here, I still don't see my application listed.
I don't want to find out something is wrong and they haven't even started on it yet.
What type/how much communication did they have prior to issuing exemption?

Thanks.

Thanks. I've been searching the site and I can't find ours posted yet. Today is 9 weeks since my initial submittal.
Yes, Civil PE. Mostly environmental related work.

I also do environmental, remediation.

You should be able to find it, it did take 4 weeks for mine to post. If you send your name or company that you registered under I can try to find it. You can go though posts that are dated about 4 weeks after yours and see if they have posted that time period, they may be behind.

The 3 months it took to process mine did include the 4 weeks that it was not posted.

FWIW, I sent an email to FAA trying to verify they at least have my application. I rec'd an immediate form response. A day later, I rec'd another email that also looks like a standard response, but I'm at least a little more comfortable in the lack of response on my application.

This is the text of the email I rec'd from the FAA.

Thank you for your email. The comment tracking number indicates that your submission was successfully submitted, and is in the queue to be posted. Each submission is manually processed and uploaded by the Docket Office, which typically takes between 6-8 weeks. Once it is posted, it will be assigned a Docket Number (FAA-2015-XXXX). However, in times of heavy docket activity, documents could take additional time to be processed. As a reminder, Part 11.63 requires operators to submit a petition for exemption 120 days before you need the exemption to take effect. We will do our best to process your petition in this timeframe; however, factors such as petition completeness, complexity, and volume of requests may affect the length of time needed to process your petition. We will contact you if we need additional information to process your petition. Otherwise, you may not hear from the FAA until we issue a decision letter. We appreciate your patience as we work to process petitions in an expeditious and safe manner.

Thank you for your interest in aviation safety.

FAA Office of Rulemaking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986