I followed instructions and now I'm in the twighlight zone. Help please

Reaction score
I took the advice to make my never flown Solo work by getting an older android device to get the solo app working without constant crashing. So I went and picked an old android device, BUT in the playstore on this old device the solo app isn't even available. Please help. I've been trying to get this thing flying for over a month. And if I spend anymore time trying to crack this nut, my wife's gonna leave me and then I WILL BE SOLO!

What old model phone or tablet works with the solo app please!

Last edited:
Just get Solex and install Open Solo 4. It will allow you to skip the Preflight Update. Make sure to follow these instructions carefully.

Reactions: JCBird and Wetstone
It's a shame someone couldn't make a video tutorial on how to ake this insanly complicated open solo process easier (some of us just wanted to fly a drone...not get a migraine). I mean "come on, there's money in you tube these days. And based on the amount of people that got suckered into buying a Solo and need help. It's a "win-win"!

Hell, I'll give you $20 right now if you can walk me through this.

I know the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and 10.1 both work.
Thanks Bruce. The Solo controller mount will not hold a large tablet. Can you recommend a smaller tablet or phone? Much appreciated.

It's a shame someone couldn't make a video tutorial on how to ake this insanly complicated open solo process easier (some of us just wanted to fly a drone...not get a migraine). I mean "come on, there's money in you tube these days. And based on the amount of people that got suckered into buying a Solo and need help. It's a "win-win"!

Hell, I'll give you $20 right now if you can walk me through this.
The instructions are step by step. Have you read and followed them? Where are you getting lost? Here's a link to the instructions I'm talking about.

Hi Jon, First, I would like to thank you for your reply and good nature. I have truly tried to follow the instructions and couldn't get to the "packages"( and that's what I mean by frustrating. I don't have a clue what a package is).

Here's a huge favor I have to ask before I consider the solo a huge mistake and loss. Someone on this forum mentioned all I would have to do is get an older android device that would still allow 3dr solo app to install the updates. If that's true, please tell me what device you know of that would be compatible.

Hi Jon, First, I would like to thank you for your reply and good nature. I have truly tried to follow the instructions and couldn't get to the "packages"( and that's what I mean by frustrating. I don't have a clue what a package is).

Here's a huge favor I have to ask before I consider the solo a huge mistake and loss. Someone on this forum mentioned all I would have to do is get an older android device that would still allow 3dr solo app to install the updates. If that's true, please tell me what device you know of that would be compatible.
I suggest something with Android 5 or 6. I can't specify any one device really. I have an old ZTE Z-Max that will still complete the Preflight Update. I think it has 5 on it.

Updating it with the old app is the same process as with Solex. If you say specifically what step you're getting stuck on we can probably get it going.

IThanks Bruce. The Solo controller mount will not hold a large tablet. Can you recommend a smaller tablet or phone? Much appreciated.
I use a Tab S 8.4 every time. So yes, the controller mount will hold one.

Reactions: JCBird
Where is this step on the app?

"With your device connected to the internet, go into the Solex Firmware Updates menu."

Why can't I see what you're referring to?

Thanks

And when cell phone connected to the sololink's wifi the solex app no longer opens. I just get a little number 1 on the apps icon.

Attachments

• app.jpg
    app.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 4
And when cell phone connected to the sololink's wifi the solex app no longer opens. I just get a little number 1 on the apps icon.
Make sure Advanced is checked in the App Settings and also set Default Vehicle Type to Solo, then Firmware Updates is the very bottom menu item on the Solex menu.

It looks like you have another instance of Solex running, never seen that. Try restarting your phone.

Also I didn't write the instructions. They were written by the developer of Open Solo. And the developer of Solex might be able to help with the little red thing on the icon.

I think I will call you "Jon The Patron Saint of Drones". Seriously, you either saved my sanity or the Solos life because I was ready to have a meltdown and throw it in the trash. Not sell it. I wouldn't wish this grief on anyone else.

I'll give your help a try.

Thanks again St. J. !

I think I will call you "Jon The Patron Saint of Drones". Seriously, you either saved my sanity or the Solos life because I was ready to have a meltdown and throw it in the trash. Not sell it. I wouldn't wish this grief on anyone else.

I'll give your help a try.

Thanks again St. J. !
Hahahaha I'm just a guy that likes Solos. We'll get it flying and you'll be doing an Orbit shot of your house in no time. Lmao!

Reactions: JCBird
Hahahaha I'm just a guy that likes Solos. We'll get it flying and you'll be doing an Orbit shot of your house in no time. Lmao!
I would love nothing more than to take that orbit shot. if not for the pain and anguish of being defeated by technology(again), but a little for regaining the respect I lost buying this thing when things were tight. All the wife's seen me do with this thing is stay up late swearing at it.

One things for sure. It's gonna fly. One way...or the other.

And the other way meaning, throwing it into the air, so it has technically been flown and taking crash footage in slow motion. Make a video of this entire ordeal ending in Man v Machine...Premeditated Drone Murder. And then I will consider this a win.

JCBird, did you get your solo sorted?
I bought one last year, (it was demo'd and I know it flies nicely) then started reading up on the various options and issues people seem to be having.
I'm carrying ADD and Autism, which tends to make me over think and under perform, and when it comes to instructions I need "clear and unambiguous", otherwise the unanswered questions that pop up will just ruin my experience..
I've read of people having to rip the network card out of these, after trying to migrate to the other packages, and to be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever take it out of the box again.
I'm currently easing my way into operating the JJRC x9 simply because it's more straighforwards, and does most of what I believe I'll ever want, whilst running the Pixhawk/arduopilot platform, but I am lead to believ that teh solo will get me better footage when that becomes more important.
I do wish someone did a critical path analysis of the steps needed to take a solo out of the box, figure out what you have, (apparently 3dr got a bit jiggy with "variants" towards the end?) and get it working as reliably as the makers intended.
I've got some R/C flying skills now after a LONG training period, (Full size light aircraft flying was so much easiert to learn!) and I NEVER WANT TO CRASH AGAIN.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela