I don't always believe the news .....

D

DodgeP

Another drone was reported to be too close to an airplane / airport again. Floyd Bennett field is just barely outside of 5 miles from the closest landing strip at JFK. Playing devils advocate with this one. What if the drone was following all the guidelines >5 miles from the airport and <400 altitude but yet was still too close for comfort? In this situation it's quite possible. Thoughts?

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...ear-miss-of-drone-at-jfk-airport-495549507846

Unfortunately it really makes little difference since very few people outside of our hobby care or even think about what's true, if it's broadcast than it may as well be cause most won't research or ask for any proof. Hate to say it but every copter needs to at least have the ability to be restricted from flying near airports or were all going to end up banned from flying. The more of these stories in the media the closer we are to being grounded for good and the simple fact is a huge portion of our population is just flat out stupid or careless at very least. They don't think about or even care if what they want to do will effect others. If it makes them happy they do it regaurdless of what issues it will cause.

I hope they come up with a way to either require a license and hold folks accountable or restrict them enough so stupidity is taken out of play, just make it if your not allowed to fly in a place you can't across the board. Sure some will still do dumb things but at least it'll take more effort and will cut down on em a bit.

I totally agree that some of these stories are blown up or flat out BS but as long as just anyone can buy a multi and send it anywhere they want wel keep seeing these stories. It sucks that this kind of thing is needed and I'd love to be able to keep things as they are but if you leave individuals in charge of if they want to follow the rules or not we're in trouble.

Reactions: rrmccabe
@Adimuzio513 Agree agree agree.

@DodgeP I am with you on the media. Liberal crap and will embellish anything for a story.

But @Adimuzio513 is right, people don't care and it will be automatically taken as authority.

I am all for locking them down GPS to a distance/glide path. The idiots cant fly without GPS so that should help.

Does anyone know if Solo has this even working? I know DJI is locked down but I keep hearing stories of guys flying Solos anywhere.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
My thoughts and opinions.

1st- Being #1 (or #2 I can't remember) in "Drone" sales in the US is a double edge sword. Every time there is a news story they want to show video of DJI Phantoms multi-rotors.

2nd- Although he/she is within the safe guidelines was the quadcopter within the flight path of airlines? Right now its a war on "drones" and in my opinion its a good time to not push the boundaries with flying as if a incident does occur the authorities and public opinion would surely stone you to death if they could (heck look at the polls showing that the guy should not have been arrested for shooting down the drone).

3rd- You're going to start seeing some serious opponents to RC flying to the point where if someone sees you flying in a field it will equate to calling the police. This is what you get with the "If You See Something, Say Something" and "Snitch on your neighbor" mentality.

BS, I don't believe it. If that drone was 100 feet from a large aircraft flying 190 knots the wing vortices would have destroyed it.

Thought it was supposed to be but not sure if it actually is or
My thoughts and opinions.

1st- Being #1 (or #2 I can't remember) in "Drone" sales in the US is a double edge sword. Every time there is a news story they want to show video of DJI Phantoms multi-rotors.

2nd- Although he/she is within the safe guidelines was the quadcopter within the flight path of airlines? Right now its a war on "drones" and in my opinion its a good time to not push the boundaries with flying as if a incident does occur the authorities and public opinion would surely stone you to death if they could (heck look at the polls showing that the guy should not have been arrested for shooting down the drone).

3rd- You're going to start seeing some serious opponents to RC flying to the point where if someone sees you flying in a field it will equate to calling the police. This is what you get with the "If You See Something, Say Something" and "Snitch on your neighbor" mentality.

Yup agreed I've already been waiting to have the cops show up and harass me one of these days only reason it's not happened yet I usually fly from my home. I have no doubt sooner or later in public or even from home the police will be called on me even though I make it a point to be flying safe and legal.

Thought it was supposed to be but not sure if it actually is or

Yup agreed I've already been waiting to have the cops show up and harass me one of these days only reason it's not happened yet I usually fly from my home. I have no doubt sooner or later in public or even from home the police will be called on me even though I make it a point to be flying safe and legal.

The marketplace is capable of handling this issue. At least those that offer RTF solutions. Now I understand why DJI implemented and increased the amount of no Fly zones. They should have given people to disable that "feature" but offer no support in doing so.

The plane is traveling 190 knots with probably a high angle of attack, The only thing the pilot sees is sky and maybe the horizon. How could he have seen a drone 100 feet below him?. If it was at eye level it would have gone past him so fast he wouldn't have been able to know what it was.
Probably a bird, a large bird at that.
I'm sure these commercial pilots would love to ground us droners.

The plane is traveling 190 knots with probably a high angle of attack, The only thing the pilot sees is sky and maybe the horizon. How could he have seen a drone 100 feet below him?. If it was at eye level it would have gone past him so fast he wouldn't have been able to know what it was.
Probably a bird, a large bird at that.
I'm sure these commercial pilots would love to ground us droners.

Pics of the drone or radar signature or it didn't happen ;)

I don't know about this,

On one hand, if it was 100' below the right wing at 1700' I doubt he could see it, especially in landing mode at low speed with flaps.

Maybe the Co was leaning against the glass looking for sunbathers and spotted it.... maybe.
(The CoPilot is on the Right Side. No way did the Captain/Pilot see anything on the right.)

But then again, there are some...... OK, I won't use any strongly negative nouns here beginning with Idio..... I'll say "knuckleheads" that insist on setting their drones to fly well into controlled airspace to prove a point.
What that point is, I have no idea.

If you want to fly so far you can't see it, fly horizontally, not vertically.
400' high should suffice any cool sunset views unless you are dead-set on getting this hobby permanently grounded.

I guess it's like a pissing contest, I never did get the point.
Hydraulic Physics would tell me that smaller would reach further anyways....

Last edited:
Reactions: datalogger
I believe that some GPS restrictions could help but don't think we need any more laws. When ever the media or public knee jerk a reaction and demand some law be written, I think of this poster that is my office at the Sheriff's Dept...
b3b28f080ddd88d84d25579fb54cdbbb.jpg

I found it interesting that the pilot, when checking in with the tower didn't mention his altitude but instead said, "100ft below the wing." I'm not an airplane pilot but given the fields proximity to the airport combined with the fact that the plane was landing isn't it possible that the "drone" could have been at max altitude; 400' and the plane at 500' ? Sometimes I hate the news.

- Drone Lives Matter!

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I believe that some GPS restrictions could help but don't think we need any more laws. When ever the media or public knee jerk a reaction and demand some law be written, I think of this poster that is my office at the Sheriff's Dept...
b3b28f080ddd88d84d25579fb54cdbbb.jpg
Agreed that's hillarious yea if everybody listened to rules or laws we'd have no need for hundreds of thousands of cops ,judges all the rest crime is the biggest business of all. Odds are if drug lords tried they would have quite a presence on the Fortune 500 and richest people lists. So gps restriction or some kind of trackers to hold folks accountable are really our only options.

I found it interesting that the pilot, when checking in with the tower didn't mention his altitude but instead said, "100ft below the wing." I'm not an airplane pilot but given the fields proximity to the airport combined with the fact that the plane was landing isn't it possible that the "drone" could have been at max altitude; 400' and the plane at 500' ? Sometimes I hate the news.

- Drone Lives Matter!
Good stuff drone lives matter here in Cinci I hear the phrase as much as hello it seems with all our officer and officer involved shootings recently. Almost missed the reference still.

At least the city's peaceful after the conviction this week and we're having beautiful weather for a change on top of it. I'm stuck working but almost off so I'm heading to fly and enjoy the weather before it changes back.

Everybody have a great weekend "fly safe fly smart fly whatever the hell u want to" just try not to make the news unless it's for for saving a baby holding a kitten in a tree with your "drones"

- Drone Lives Matter!
What's his ground altitude..

Let's see... going by memory here but:

190 MPH = ~165 Knots
3 Degree Landing Glide Path for a commercial jet makes it approximately (165/2)*10 = 825 fpm rate of descent Glide Path (not exact, more of a Rule of Thumb calc)

If he's 5 miles from the strip, traveling at 190MPH, he's about .026 Hrs or 2 Minutes from the runway.
2 x 825' puts him at 1650' from the runways altitude, more or less.

Of course this doesn't account for the local terrain and elevation differences, but it matches pretty much what the newscaster stated about being at 1700' relative.

Like I said, there shouldn't be anything in the Glide Path flying around at over 400'

If the Drone was at 400', it would be impossible for anyone in the plane to distinguish it from the ground unless they used magnification equipment (Binoculars or a Telescopic Lens) and knew exactly where to look.

It would be like you looking at a tiny little Solo flying 1300' away without the aid of having a blue sky background. It's hard enough if you think you know exactly where it is....and you are not moving at 190 MPH relative to it!

Last edited:
What's his ground altitude..

Let's see... going by memory here but:

190 MPH = ~165 Knots
3 Degree Landing Glide Path for a commercial jet makes it approximately (165/2)*10 = 835 fpm rate of decent Glide Path (not exact, more of a Rule of Thumb calc)

If he's 5 miles from the strip, traveling at 190MPH, he's about .026 Hrs or 2 Minutes from the runway.
2 x 835' puts him at 1670' from the runways altitude, more or less.

Of course this doesn't account for the local terrain and elevation differences, but it matches pretty much what the newscaster stated about being at 1700' relative.

Like I said, there shouldn't be anything in the Glide Path flying around at over 400'

If the Drone was at 400', it would be impossible for anyone in the plane to distinguish it from the ground unless they used magnification equipment (Binoculars or a Telescopic Lens) and knew exactly where to look.

It would be like you looking at a tiny little Solo flying 1300' away without the aid of having a blue sky background. It's hard enough if you think you know exactly where it is....and you are not moving at 190 MPH relative to it!

Thank You.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000