Howdy From N. Fla.

Reaction score
Been researching Quads for a little while, wife was looking for a gift idea. Was initially intrigued by the DJI Mavic but decided for my proposed application & experience something lower cost would probably be more suitable. Looked at the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced since there were some refurbs to be had for a few days at $539. Ran across the Solo and all the press involving 3DR, and figured the BB price was right, figured I could use the (refurb) GoPro 4 Silver for other things when not on the quad. The support community here looks to be robust and influenced my decision.

I've got a lot of reading to do, downloaded the manual and the apps, incl. the simulator app. For now, I'll be using my iPhone 5SE but will be looking for a low cost 7" Android wi-fi tablet. Been reading the thread on compatible tablets and searching for one in the $100 range.

One of my applications, I hope, is to use the Solo for surf fishing, to be able to fly out from the beach about twice as far as I can cast and drop a bait. Seen a number of videos on the application, if anyone has any input on doing that I'd welcome it. Other than that, I'll probably fly around my property, check on my livestock and what not. Not really into cinematography. I have a number of questions but I'll save them until after I do some reading if they don't get answered by then.

--Charles

Welcome, newbie here as well. However I think the extra bay on the solo might be perfect for your surf fishing. I could definitely see a design where you could drop a lure or line. Also you could spot down with your camera and the tablet. Interesting use case.

Welcome!

Poor Fish won't stand a chance between Fish Finders and Drones?

This has been a public service announcement from PETA
(People eating tasty animals)

I've got several ideas for the bait drop design that are mechanical but simple. When the Solo arrives I'll have a better idea how to incorporate it. I'm a machinist with my own CNC machines so I should be able to fab up something.

Something else to keep in mind, with a Tablet connected to your SOLO's WiFi, you don't have internet unless you have a Tablet with a Sim/Plan. Not a big deal for me. I fly mostly line of site.
ControllerYogaTab.jpg

Something else to keep in mind, with a Tablet connected to your SOLO's WiFi, you don't have internet unless you have a Tablet with a Sim/Plan. Not a big deal for me. I fly mostly line of site.
View attachment 5306

Yep, I'm aware of that. I figured I could use my iPhone if I needed the capability albeit it would be on a tiny screen or use a tablet and download the maps to the tablet. iPhone has hot spot so I could download maps on location if it became necessary. So far, I'm thinking I'll probably be mostly LOS, not envisioning being a power user. Got to admit tho, the 3DR videos sure are intriguing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela