How to Power Remote Mirrorless Camera Control Device from Solo

jxo

Reaction score
I am mounting a Sony a5100 on my Solos for photos only with good results. To date, I have been using an inexpensive JJC remote device (works surprisingly well to almost 300ft) as a basic shutter release (with half press AF).

I am upgrading the remote in order to achieve longer range and more remote exposure setting (Av, Shutter speed, ISO), AF and zoom controls. Making these adjustments in the air will be a substantial improvement. VP Systems has been a huge help with their product—CAMremote. Linnar, in particular, has been very informative. VP-Systems - Remote Controlled Video & Photography

I am using Solos with stock mainboards—upgraded mRo GPS, Open Solo, NO green cube.

I need to get 5V from the Solo to power the small CAMremote device (which is velcro’ed to the Solo). The CAMremote comes with 3-pin cables, 15cm in length. I can slap a 9V battery on for the interim but would rather power the CAMremote from the Solo. Am clueless as to how.

My useful knowledge hits a brick wall at this point. Looking for idiot-proof advice on how to tap the Solo to power this tiny 5V device.

Not to suggest I even know all the questions to ask, but will I need to install a breakout board on the Solo for this purpose or is a useful power outlet hiding somewhere already in the innards of the Solo. If a breakout board is needed, any suggested sources? Install instructions?

thanks much,
Jim

It is not mechanical so I doubt it draws anything over 1A. If I am not using the gimbal, is it possible to tap into the gimbal cable for power?

The device takes around 30mA. I understand the gimbal cable has a 5V power line (yellow) and GND (black). Is splicing the only way to tap into the gimbal cable to pull the power? Is there a cable with the right Molex connector I could use to plug into it?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea