How much rain is too much?

Reaction score
Website
edbeckphotography.com
So I'm sitting in my car in a parking lot in Chehalis WA. I'm supposed to be flying a parking lot survey every 30 minutes for the next several hours.

It's a typical spring day in the PNW, rain g just hard enough so you need you windshield wipers set to the medium setting when driving at 30 mph.

Vertical visability is fine for the job.

If it was drizzling I'd have no problem flying. If it was a constant, steady rain that obscured my windshield I'd stay on the ground.

It's this in-between crud I'm not sure about.

Any feedback? I know that the 3DR line is don't do it.

Well, it seems to me that any amount of water on the motors could cause rusting on some metal parts. Electrical shorting could be a problem with enough water. How much is too much is anybody's guess.

Is there enough moisture to obscure the camera lens?

Is the job important enough to risk damage or an inflight malfunction that might result in a crash?

Reactions: speatuk
I think the motors are the least sensitive electronic part of the quad. I've seen "waterproofed" outrunner motors actually operate perfectly well underwater.
The YouTube channel Flite Test has done some testing in this area.
If this were a paid gig I'd fly if the camera could handle it. You could always spend the $200 for a refurbished Solo if any long term damage is done, but I think you will be fine.

Reactions: Ed Beck
Well, it seems to me that any amount of water on the motors could cause rusting on some metal parts. Electrical shorting could be a problem with enough water. How much is too much is anybody's guess.

Is there enough moisture to obscure the camera lens?

Is the job important enough to risk damage or an inflight malfunction that might result in a crash?
If the rain would obscure the shot I wouldn't go.

Nothing is important enough to risk a crash and possibly injuring people.

I'm trying to find the operational limits.

When it crashes onto a car or people in the parking lot because water was dripping directly onto the motor pods, are you prepared for that? On every solo that's gone into the water, the first thing that fails every time is a motor pod. This doesn't sound like a good idea.

In world of aviation, whether it be manned or UAS, the same applies. If you have to ask if this is a good idea, the answer is no.

I think the motors are the least sensitive electronic part of the quad. I've seen "waterproofed" outrunner motors actually operate perfectly well underwater.
The YouTube channel Flite Test has done some testing in this area.
If this were a paid gig I'd fly if the camera could handle it. You could always spend the $200 for a refurbished Solo if any long term damage is done, but I think you will be fine.
Yeah, it's a paid gig but they understand that I have operational limitations.

Made one flight in rain that would cause me to use a medium setting on my windshield wipers at 30 mph. I just love that measurement! Completely subjective and uncalibrated but it gives an id a.

I wonder if a thin disc could be placed between the motor and prop, a rain shield.... I wouldn't fly it unless needed, Then you'd have to cover the vent holes on the upper pod frame. Some type of gasket for the pod to frame fit.

If you wanted to go further, you'd need to gasket/seal the battery tray and gps cover. Depending on your flight, you could install a rain shield forward and above the camera, off the gimbal beauty plate.

Just thinking out loud...;)

If the rain would obscure the shot I wouldn't go.

Nothing is important enough to risk a crash and possibly injuring people.

I'm trying to find the operational limits.

I totally understand. But apparently nobody has explored them in depth.

I don't think I would risk it. Not because of the risk to the Solo, but rather the risk of injury to the people and their property.

Imagine trying to defend yourself in a court case if it fell on a person failed motor caused by rain.

Way to large a risk.

I don't think I would risk it. Not because of the risk to the Solo, but rather the risk of injury to the people and their property.

Imagine trying to defend yourself in a court case if it fell on a person failed motor caused by rain.

Way to large a risk.
Even if it's just misting? Get a lot of that up here in the winter.

Water is water. Just mist is still getting blown straight onto the motor pods. If it was over nothing in your yard or a field, I'd say you're being a test pilot and accept that it may fail. If you're being a test pilot over uninvolved people and property, that's called negligence.

Even if it's just misting? Get a lot of that up here in the winter.

I lived in the pacific South West - of Canada, so I know your conditions. I have twice flown when at altitude there was some mist. I decided to land because there are no windsheld wipers on GoPro.

I guess your survey work can still be handled with poor visibility. If that's true and you can handle the law suit if water sends you down, go for it..

I lived in the pacific South West - of Canada, so I know your conditions. I have twice flown when at altitude there was some mist. I decided to land because there are no windsheld wipers on GoPro.

I guess your survey work can still be handled with poor visibility. If that's true and you can handle the law suit if water sends you down, go for it..
Fortunately it's nice and clear today. Having a great time getting out of my car for 10 minutes every 30 to send Solo off.

So glad I live in SoCal for Solo's sake.....best flying weather in the nation......oops....did I just say that....we only have 330 days of sunshine a yr.....

Living in the PNW as well, I can say that I feel your pain. Two weeks before my trip to Hawaii it rained for 2 weeks straight. Had absolutely no chance to practice lining up shots. Coming from someone who doesn't have much money to spare, I can safely say that even a little rain would be too much for my Solo. water will eventually lead to rusting on the motors, which can result in a motor failure. That being said, since you're doing this commericially, and I'm guessing you have some ~$200 to spare for another Solo, I say anything more than a light misting would be too much.

Mist is good heavy down pore is bad. If it gets wet spray some W-D40 in the motors to dissipate the moisture. No biggy.

I'll tell you another trick off topic. If you are running a car or truck with a distributer cap. Going thru a puddle or wet stuff and it dies. Pull your cap spray wd40 and wipe it out. should run like a champ again.

Main electronics can be sealed easily, even a dousing of CorrosionX is enough to seal them from immersion.
It's the ESC's that are the critical area which WILL fail if moisture gets on the board, the grey smoke will get out.
For wet weather operations you could pot the ESC's but you would need to take care the FET's are still being cooled adequately.
Motors are not an issue, especially with rain water. Even with salt water it is only the salt crystals that get into the bearings that cause skidding which do the damage (unless you are running cheap Chinese bearings). The addition of sealed bearings will fix that problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela