How is your distance with the Sunhan WiFi Amp?

Reaction score
I would like to hear from those that are using the Sunhan WiFi Amps with their upgraded antenna. How are you guys matching your either stock or upgraded antenna from the radio's antenna output. What is your SWR reading?

I am asking this because on my Taranis I can see this SWR readout when the Sunhan WiFi Amp and antenna is connected straight onto the stock antenna jack which gives me a read out of 17 - 25 (BAD) but without the amp I read "0" (GOOD). In order for me to match this number back to "0 or 1," I need to use an "Attenuator" from eBay to get the extended distance. See link below

SMA 2W male to female RF Coaxial "Attenuator" DC - 6.0GHz 3dB 50ohm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360620137804…

In summary, if you are "JUST" using an upgraded or directional antenna you should be fine but adding the WiFi Amp inline should give you shorter distance.

I intend to do this when I option to add the SUNHANS eSunRC SH-RC24G3W 3000mW 2.4Ghz 35dBm WiFi Signal Booster
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291595278914…

The question is. What have you done to correct this on your SOLO Controller and how would you know this without an SWR Meter to show you?

1pce SMA 2W male to female RF Coaxial Attenuator DC - 6.0GHz 3dB 50ohm
RP SMA female is outside screw with plug center. SMA female is outside screw with hole center, for example :SMA male is inside screw with plug center, RP SMA…
EBAY.COM

Reactions: Raston Warrior
Meanwhile the neighbors arent able to use their wifi at all.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You need to do some homework.
Merry Christmas.

Meanwhile the neighbors arent able to use their wifi at all.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. You need to do some homework.
Merry Christmas.

@Roland S888 Elaborate to clarify on your reply. I don't know about you but it looks like to me that you are an older member of this forum and quite possibly know something I do not know about the SOLO. This is why I am asking the question because "I am doing my homework."

If you are not using a WiFi amplifier on your SOLO TX or on any other TX at all then perhaps it would be wise not to be sarcastic with your reply. Sarcasm is not what I am seeking as it does not help me with my homework. This is why I asked the question. I have shared what I have experienced with my Taranis radio controlling my models and I do know where my limits ends.

So kindly enlighten me and any other forum members that would like to know more about the subject as posted above.

Happy Holidays to you and yours...

Jun, I dont know which country you are in, but I can tell you with certainty that in any country with broadcast regulations such as America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc you would need to be licenced to broadcast with a 35dbm amplifier on the 2.4Ghz wifi band.
Are you licenced?

And there is not one word of sarcasm in my previous post.

This sort of calculator may assist you in learning how far your link will reach
Radiolabs - Wifi Range Calculator

Jun, I dont know which country you are in, but I can tell you with certainty that in any country with broadcast regulations such as America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc you would need to be licenced to broadcast with a 35dbm amplifier on the 2.4Ghz wifi band.
Are you licenced?

And there is not one word of sarcasm in my previous post.

This sort of calculator may assist you in learning how far your link will reach
Radiolabs - Wifi Range Calculator

Thank you Roland. I am from Canada and no I do not have a ham or any other broadcast license. I understand where you are coming from and I am familiar with that subject. We can discuss this on another thread if you like but I would rather not.

However, your reply was still not the subject of discussion sir. The question from above was "What have you done to correct this on your SOLO Controller and how would you know this without an SWR Meter to show you?"

So to reiterate. What are the SOLO owners doing to match the amplifier output and the antenna they are using with the SOLO's TX to get an SWR reading of either "0" or a low readout as per my example on my Taranis radio?"

My answer is;
If I were to use such an amp that is sold to the open market from all over the world is to use an "ATTENUATOR" to decrease the SOLO's TX output without distorting its signal that goes into the amplifier to get the desired perfect reading of "0" so that the "amplifier can actually send out the clear boosted dedicated coded signal that comes out of it to be received by the model's dedicated RX for either better signal in a heavy WiFi environment or for distance flying."

yesterday, my new record range was 11275 feet no problem at all.

More power to you sir but what have you done to make sure your set up is matched with your TX?

Imagine this;
Stock antenna is match with the TX's output at 100% to the RX = Very good
Any upgraded antenna (only) will match with the TX's output at 100% to the RX = Even better
TX's output at 100% x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Amplified distorted signal is a disaster waiting to happen.
TX + proper "ATTENUATOR" to decrease the SOLO's TX output without distorting its signal x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Better stability and coverage or distance with stock or directional antennas or the combination of both antennas.

More power to you sir but what have you done to make sure your set up is matched with your TX?

Imagine this;
Stock antenna is match with the TX's output at 100% to the RX = Very good
Any upgraded antenna (only) will match with the TX's output at 100% to the RX = Even better
TX's output at 100% x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Amplified distorted signal is a disaster waiting to happen.
TX + proper "ATTENUATOR" to decrease the SOLO's TX output without distorting its signal x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Better stability and coverage or distance with stock or directional antennas or the combination of both antennas.[/QUOTE
What mean TX

@ Rex,
What have you done to your Solo transmitter to make sure that your amp and antenna set up is matched to your transmitter to get maximum performance out of you amp and antenna upgrade?

Hint: I do not see attenuators between your transmitter and amplifiers. Did you adjust anything inside your transmitter or did you just slap on the amps and antenna to you transmitter?

jun.. I did nothing change inside controller or transmitter. just slap the amp and antenna.. do u think I need attenuator?? why?? I am learning every day!

TX's output at 100% x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Amplified distorted signal is a disaster waiting to happen. will it be serious?? if so, I will have to buy attenuators

a device consisting of an arrangement of resistors that reduces the strength of a radio or audio signal.

jun.. I did nothing change inside controller or transmitter. just slap the amp and antenna.. do u think I need attenuator?? why?? I am learning every day!

TX's output at 100% x 3 W of boosted signal to the RX = Amplified distorted signal is a disaster waiting to happen. will it be serious?? if so, I will have to buy attenuators

a device consisting of an arrangement of resistors that reduces the strength of a radio or audio signal.

@ Rex,
You can buy the attenuator below and put it on the TX then connect your amp to it via the cable to the amp.

@ Rex,
You can buy the attenuator below and put it on the TX then connect your amp to it via the cable to the amp.
@ Rex,
why do I need them? can you please explain me little more so I can understand! by the way happy new year to you..

To all Amplifier users with the FPVLR antenna!!! This is the answer I have been looking for!!!
As Per Tony of FPVLR and I quote from another thread;

"Hi, for the Taranis you MUST use an attenuator because output power is 500mw and sunhans max input is about 120mw. You'd burn the amps, no question about it!

For 3dr solo controller there is NO need for an attenuator!"

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc