Hot gimbal

Reaction score
I noticed that that metal bit as your facing the gimbal left of the camera. There is a plastic cover and the price of metal sticking out is so hot that it melted through my GoPro. I took it all apart and can find nothing shorting out or any problems.

Anyone have this?

Nope everything is nice and tight. I took the plastic cover off and just visually inspected it. I didn't notice anything odd. I felt it with my fingure just now and it's un touchable.

One possibility that I can think of is if you leave your drone on mistakenly and tuck it in a bag or stick in the foam block (protector of the gimbal) the motors will keep turning trying to level it and the adjoining metal parts will get extremely hot.

Reactions: RichWest
I checked for anything like that. All the covers were off. I did here though quetly the motors running. The green light on the back is on, slow pulse so no errors detected software wise

my gimbal gets warm- but not so hot I cannot handle it-

Texas must be drying out nicely, I can see some sarcasm on Rich’s horizon!!
I was just saying my gimbal gets warm, but not hot!! I thought maybe those three screws backed out and it was causing friction.
Thinking it’s probably getting pretty hot in Texas; if not yet, you know it’s coming!

No sarcasm....just a different breed of people. I've known a few.

Still would like a photo of the item getting hot and melting the GP. Other than the Hero port and the HDMI connector, there is no other metal in contact with the camera. There is the silver half disc off to the inside of the camera holder, which is the pitch motor bell. If that is heating up then either the motor is failing or it is in a bind.

Regardless, Solo and its components are designed to dissipate heat, when in flight. It's surprising how well it works in 100+ temps. Sitting idle, in full sun, is asking too much for the black bodied design. I really liked the idea of painted or masked batteries in white. The batteries can get really hot in my climate.

The heat did arrive today, humidity was already here. I'd venture to bet this will be one hot summer and another active hurricane season for the gulf and east coast. Hope everyone is preparing...

Reactions: jonbrotherton
well i hope mother nature spares you fine folks - you’ve been through enough already.

I used to have a problem with the GP4 mounted in my car window (and this is the PNW). It would get so hot during the summer it would shut off, remove the battery and you'd nearly get a burn. Even filming at 30 FPS, 1080P in Medium has the same result. Turns out crappy memory card was to blame. As soon as I upgraded, no more issues. I do remember researching this at the time and lots of people were having OH problems to the extent that in one case, cellophane was placed on the hdmi port, it actually melted.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that no one has mentioned that there is an inherent flaw in the Hero4B that causes it to overheat. Might be something to look into.

Last edited:
Not really sure if that's true, I think most overheat problems are caused by low speed memory cards that tend to cause overheating issues. Also if you're trying to record at 4K or even 1080P at 120 FPS for an extended period in a location without good airflow, overheating will occur.

Not really sure if that's true, I think most overheat problems are caused by low speed memory cards that tend to cause overheating issues. Also if you're trying to record at 4K or even 1080P at 120 FPS for an extended period in a location without good airflow, overheating will occur.
It's definitely true. Google Hero 4B overheating. It was a big deal for a while. That said, I just threw it into the thread as a possibility and not a definite cause for this case. If there is nothing in the area of the gimbal that can overheat then it might make sense to suspect the GP.

Well you may have a point as I did make sure that when running the GP4 black in hot weather, I had the window defroster on at all times (which blew cold air up at the GP mounted in the window). Well the GP6 doesn't seem to have overheating issues as for the Fusion, they really do over heat which is surprising since they are technically nothing more than the worlds most expensive door stop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc