Hobby Drones No Longer Register

Reaction score
A friend just told me about this court ruling that happened the other day.

Hobby Drones No Longer Register - Bing News

At first, i thought great.
But as I work for a marketing company, the more I thought about it, I started to get upset.

For me to get paid to fly my drone for a client, I have to take a ridiculous $150 test and learn manned flight information while someone could theoretically be standing right next to me flying an identical drone and preform identical flight operation. However, because they are doing it for "fun" I'm breaking the law and they are not. insane.

EDIT:
I was just thinking, could this perhaps lead the way now that Business would not have to take the drone test? This is basically like discrimination toward business, no?

Last edited:
I don't follow your train of thought whatsoever. Nothing has changed except the guy flying as a hobby doesn't have to spend the $5 to register himself (and all the drones he owns). Operational rules still apply.

Operational rules are fine, I get that. In my comparison I'm even saying the hobbyist would be preforming identical flight.
I guess what I'm saying is (probably a different topic altogether) that I think it's unfair and unreasonable that just for the right to legally sell drone footage, you need to pay $150 and pass a test.

To people who use sUAS commercially it is a benefit that there is a test and a process to go through. Weeds out the super cheap guys that think there making money when really they aren't. I may get a bunch of crap for saying that but its true.

I have my Part 107 Certificate as well. I don't disagree with you. I think the FAA is still a little stuck in the commercial pilot flying fare paying passengers paradigm.
Personally I don't mind having a couple of hoops to jump through if it separates me from the folks too lazy to earn the certificate. Old saying that always seems to apply -"20% more effort puts you ahead of 80% of the people".
I photograph weddings on the side, and the business has gotten more difficult with the advent of a digital camera in everyone's hands. "Uncle Joe has a nice camera, he can shoot the wedding to save us a few bucks". It is nice that the FAA required all the "Uncle Joes" to invest a little time and money to compete in aerial photography .

A friend just told me about this court ruling that happened the other day.

Hobby Drones No Longer Register - Bing News

At first, i thought great.
But as I work for a marketing company, the more I thought about it, I started to get upset.

For me to get paid to fly my drone for a client, I have to take a ridiculous $150 test and learn manned flight information while someone could theoretically be standing right next to me flying an identical drone and preform identical flight operation. However, because they are doing it for "fun" I'm breaking the law and they are not. insane.

EDIT:
I was just thinking, could this perhaps lead the way now that Business would not have to take the drone test? This is basically like discrimination toward business, no?

Many people share your view, that its absurd to link required safety protocol to profit, especially those UAV pilots who were prosecuted by the FAA before 107 was even published!

But, think positive. It might be great career opportunity. Take and pass the 107 and it opens a door. I have no aspirations to fly for profit but Id still like to wear that feather in my cap one day.

I enjoy investing my time and $ in my hobbies, so even I was not doing it commercially, I'd still like to have the certification. It does show you are trying to be the best UAS operator you can.
I also have my FCC Ham Radio license, although no one has ever asked me to provide that certificate number!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela