Hi Everyone, Just bought a solo. A couple of things to ask if thats ok?

Reaction score
What will happen if the drone flies out of the controller range?
Or what will happen if the controller is switched off?
In the return home mode does it retrace its path or return directly via shortest path, and if so how does it avoid trees?
In selecting the follow mode the app says to turn on the gimble lock, I dont know how to do this?
Or if someone could post the steps to put it into follow me?
In follow me will it follow the phone with the app or the controller, or if both how can you select one or the other?
thanks
kind regards
Kev

In the return home mode does it retrace its path or return directly via shortest path, and if so how does it avoid trees?
In selecting the follow mode the app says to turn on the gimble lock, I dont know how to do this?
Or if someone could post the steps to put it into follow me?
In follow me will it follow the phone with the app or the controller, or if both how can you select one or the other?
thanks
kind regards
Kev
Welcome! That's a lot of questions!

Personally, I'd start here

User Manual | 3DR

by having a really thorough read, and take small steps starting with simple task then moving up to some of the smart shot stuff when you have an understanding of the basic operation of the drone...what happens if controller disconnects for example.

I'll answer one question right here though....Solo doesn't avoid anything, it has no 'intelligent' collision avoidance at all - nearest to any form of collision avoidance is the pre-programmed flight profiles for RTH, and they vary depending on where the drone is.

Solo is out of production but 3dr.com/support has lots of resources still, as well as the ever expanding tremendous knowledge base on here.

Well done on bagging a Solo! Have a read and enjoy....

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Horn
Default Behavior: RTH
Default Behavior: RTH
Default Firmware: Straight path at current altitude + RTH altitude rise
OpenSolo Master Firmware: SmartRTH (shortest possible known safe/flown path). HAS TO BE CHOSEN AS FLIGHT MODE
The Solo has no active/passive obstacle avoidance capability unless you have significant hardware modifications (LiDAR/Sonar/PingRx, etc). You need to be conscientious when you operate it that it won't RTH into something you don't want it to.
Follows the phone/app, the controller does not have a GPS.

Last edited:
Follows the phone/app, the controller does not have a GPS.

But the phone & controller still need to be together right? If I understand correctly ... the phone/tablet connects to the controller & the controller connects to the Solo. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

But the phone & controller still need to be together right? If I understand correctly ... the phone/tablet connects to the controller & the controller connects to the Solo. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Within Wi-Fi range of one another, which depending upon your phone, might surprise you how far that is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc