Hi Everyone. I'm from South Carolina

Reaction score
I have been a solo owner since they first started rolling them out for sale. My customer service experience with 3dr from the beginning has been outstanding. As anything new sometimes has issues my first two solos and one gimbal were sent back for replacement because of defects. Those issues have been resolved a while ago and my Solo has been operating great. Being a new member to 3dr Pilots has helped me find out about the Solo gps shield V.2. I ordered it yesterday and I'm not expecting it right away lol. I already have a question.
Has anyone had any experience with
3DR Solo Other then the website I can't find anything else on it. I have herd mixed reviews for FPVLR but mostly positive things. I'm not having any issues but I just want to boost my wifi to fly around congested areas. I'm not going for distance however that would be nice as long as it stays in my view. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people here and I'm happy that I have found this site.

Thanks

I have the FPVLR spherical antenna (no boosters) on my Solo. It will run out of visual range before I run out of bars/signal. I have a 2nd solo with stock antennas and it goes to 2 bars/70 RSSI when I get out about 250-300 feet. I also tried the Alpha wifi panels but signal was no different or no better than stock antennas. I live out in the country with minimal wi-fi interference, I would expect better performance on stock antennas than I get. The FPVLR does give you a more solid signal in congested areas, but keep in mind it is directional so you need to keep the antennas pointed at your bird. You will find some distance results in this forum for most all of the antennas available.

Hello and welcome! One of the 'best bangs for the buck' to increase range & signal reliability I've found are the Alpha Antennas (I spent $20 for the pair on Amazon). I was looking at the FPVLR for awhile but got a deal on a DBS for Solo and never looked back. The DBS is less directional than the FPVLR (from my experience with the DBS & other reviews of the FPVLR).

I have the FPVLR spherical antenna (no boosters) on my Solo. It will run out of visual range before I run out of bars/signal. I have a 2nd solo with stock antennas and it goes to 2 bars/70 RSSI when I get out about 250-300 feet. I also tried the Alpha wifi panels but signal was no different or no better than stock antennas. I live out in the country with minimal wi-fi interference, I would expect better performance on stock antennas than I get. The FPVLR does give you a more solid signal in congested areas, but keep in mind it is directional so you need to keep the antennas pointed at your bird. You will find some distance results in this forum for most all of the antennas available.
Thank you

Hello and welcome! One of the 'best bangs for the buck' to increase range & signal reliability I've found are the Alpha Antennas (I spent $20 for the pair on Amazon). I was looking at the FPVLR for awhile but got a deal on a DBS for Solo and never looked back. The DBS is less directional than the FPVLR (from my experience with the DBS & other reviews of the FPVLR).
Wow DBS is what I'm looking for then. Maxxuav makes something I think that looks kinda like that but for $329.00. The site says there sold out and availability is limited. Or that could just be a sales pitch. Who knows. I have herd that FPVLR are very directional also. Thank you for your advice. DBS sounds like it's the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with the terribly affordable FRSKY 5DB 2.4 omni rubber duckies?

Wow DBS is what I'm looking for then. Maxxuav makes something I think that looks kinda like that but for $329.00. The site says there sold out and availability is limited. Or that could just be a sales pitch. Who knows. I have herd that FPVLR are very directional also. Thank you for your advice. DBS sounds like it's the way to go.

No problem, I'm very happy with mine.

Please post what you end up going with and how well it works for you so that others can gain from your experience. :)

I'm still using stock antennas myself. I also live out in the middle of no where with no wi-fi interference and for my first bird and not having anything else to compare it to, I was alright with the range I got when I first started flying back in April, but then after a few more flights I got to thinking, "Solo is supposed to have a range of a half a mile or something like that" and I was getting no where near that. This is fine most of the time because of flying in line of sight anyway, but still a little disappointing. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found out I was positioning the antennas in the wrong direction (as I said, I'm new to the scene and didn't read ALL of the details when preparing for my first flight). I had pointed them up because the controller fits in my backpack like that. I found out that aiming them like this just blasts the signal straight into the ground. After I aimed them correctly, I got over the half-mile range advertised. I'd still like to eventually upgrade to the FPVLR or at the very least take a $20 gamble and try out the Alphas.

I had stock antennas positioned per the manual. I don't know how much further I'd get and what kind of RSSI it would be before video/signal drops. I've been mostly line of sight. If I want to be daring I'll take out my P3 with the windsurfers on it. I didn't have much luck with any better signal on the Alphas. I moved the antennas around while I had the bird in one spot just to see if the signal strength changed, but as I said I got no better than the stock antennas. My FPVLR antenna's work very well compared to stock on the Solo.

I had stock antennas positioned per the manual. I don't know how much further I'd get and what kind of RSSI it would be before video/signal drops. I've been mostly line of sight. If I want to be daring I'll take out my P3 with the windsurfers on it. I didn't have much luck with any better signal on the Alphas. I moved the antennas around while I had the bird in one spot just to see if the signal strength changed, but as I said I got no better than the stock antennas. My FPVLR antenna's work very well compared to stock on the Solo.
That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind when I go looking to upgrade mine in the future and deciding which ones I want to try.

I hope you didn't take my post about having the antennas positioned wrong like I was assuming you had done the same, just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone had made the same dumb mistake as me and runs across this.

Just went to Amazon site. Not sure I ever experienced a "Not sure when or if this item will be back in stock again" disclaimer. The gadget looks straight out of Buck Rodgers.

Just ran into this: Amazon.com: 3DR SOLO ULTIMATE Range Booster Kit: Computers & Accessories

Looks a bit pricey, but interesting... wonder how much useful distance a Solo can get with ~3 watts of RF @ the controller to play with?
That certainly is interesting. I'm fairly new to all of this. It uses the same SUNHANS Amplifiers as the MAXXUAV I am currently looking into. I'm guessing the amplifiers are in high demand not just for solo but other drones as well not really sure. That's a good question you asked! I would like to find out myself. I'm in agreement that it looks like something out of Buck Rodgers lol

Wow, that didn't last long! The same company has them on eBay for $289.99 + $13s&h.

I'll post my take-aways on this RF booster system to anyone interested, but first I have to squelch an irritating controller disconnect issue....fun. o_O

Wow, that didn't last long! The same company has them on eBay for $289.99 + $13s&h.

I'll post my take-aways on this RF booster system to anyone interested, but first I have to squelch an irritating controller disconnect issue....fun. o_O[/QUOTE
Im definitely interested in your findings before I buy anything:)

For $20 I took a chance on the Alfa antennas off Amazon. I have the ability to run the drone over a large body of water and was able to get just shy of 9,000 ft before loosing the signal completely and the drone returning home. What I have found with the Alfa antennas is that they are extremely directional and you have to keep pointing antennas at the drone ( I turn the antennas down and keep them as perpendicular to the drone as possible). If I'm shooting through yards of houses that I'll assume have wifi, my distance goes considerably. Line Of Sight is a must have to get near the 9,000 ft. IMO the $20 is worth the upgrade of the stock antennas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela