Help! Flying drones in Pa. state parks?

Reaction score
So i heard you can fly drones in like 6 Pennsylvania state parks so i called one state park named Benjamin Rush state park which was one of the 6 parks and asked to speak about the rules for flying. The lady who answered said i would need to have an AMA license to fly at the park and said she would email me info. This is part of the info -

At Benjamin Rush, while you do not have to be a club member to use the field (however, it is encouraged), you do have to be a licensed, card carrying member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). It’s my understanding that as long as you have an AMA ID, you are permitted to fly by contacting the Northeast Philadelphia Radio Control Club pertaining to and understanding all the club’s field rules and regulations.

If anyone here is from Pa. and can shed some light on this and let me know if its indeed true because I thought flying for a hobby would be ok to just fly at the park without some license.

It's because that location is an AMA charted club. To fly at an AMA chartered club field, you need to be a member of the AMA. It's their field and they maintain it. So you're basically using someone else's club. The club likely has an MOA with the state park for use of the facility.

It's because that location is an AMA charted club. To fly at an AMA chartered club field, you need to be a member of the AMA. It's their field and they maintain it. So you're basically using someone else's club. The club likely has an MOA with the state park for use of the facility.

Makes sense now pedals thanks for that !

It also could be about Insurance in case of a injury.

I was flying in a state park the other week with no issues, so I did some checking.

Though there are no official drone laws currently in effect in the state of Pennsylvania, that does not mean users can operate however they wish to do so. There are certain restrictions and rules that have been put in place by the state and a handful of state parks.

Most state parks have no restrictions, but that doesn't mean they won't ask you to stop flying for whatever reason..

If you want to fly at Benjamin Rush, it would be best to aquire the AMA license or find another local park that's not on the list..

Reactions: june03dr
I was flying in a state park the other week with no issues, so I did some checking.

Though there are no official drone laws currently in effect in the state of Pennsylvania, that does not mean users can operate however they wish to do so. There are certain restrictions and rules that have been put in place by the state and a handful of state parks.

Most state parks have no restrictions, but that doesn't mean they won't ask you to stop flying for whatever reason..

If you want to fly at Benjamin Rush, it would be best to aquire the AMA license or find another local park that's not on the list..

Here are the current rules.

Unmanned Aerial Systems and Drones

Reactions: J0S0L0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377