Help!! Broke antenna chip in one of legs & gimbals never worked!!

Reaction score
So I broke antenna chip in one of legs, now controller gives me constant "magnetic interferance." don't know where to get a chip or how to fix it.. Is it game over..? I only cracked the end of the chip off where the set screw is. It doesn't look like a working part of the chip but it definately must be because of the interference.
Also I bought my solo and gimbal in package both in brand new packageing for b&h photo. The first gimbal started making funny noises before I ever flew it, then first flight it went limp and never recovered. Flashing orange led. So I sent it back got another "new" gimbal. This one wouldn't do anything once installed except show a solid red led. So I factory reseted solo with gimbal installed, now it slowly flashes a red light. I missed the last shipping day on return shipping label I got again for this last gimbal, and b&h wouldn't give me another one. So I'm stuck with a failed gimbal. I bought the whole system to get good shots, so for the last year I've had to fly with hard mount which sucks. Gimbals back up to $350. Any suggestions/fixes? Please help..

Attachments

• 20180329_171059.jpg
    20180329_171059.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 21
The part that broke its actually the leg compass and its very easy to replace, If this broke in a crash you need to check the wire on the other end inside the solo to make sure it did not break anything on the Main-board connector.
You can probably find a used one here or new from B&H Photo your favorite place to shop 3DR Replacement Leg with Compass for Solo Quadcopter LC11A B&H

Last edited:
Bad leg compass it's broken and does not calibrate so it does not know where "north" is Hence Magnetic interference.....Just the same if you strike a magnet hard enough you can reverse the magnets Poles, Replace it and recalibrate the solo it should work..

How did this break?

Last edited:
Bad leg compass it's broken and does not calibrate so it does not know where "north" is Hence Magnetic interference.....Just the same if you strike a magnet hard enough you can reverse the magnets Poles, Replace it and recalibrate the solo it should work..

How did this break?

I was taking legs off to put in smaller backpack, didn't know there was a chip in there

I received my new in package from 3Dr leg compass antenna and it still gives me constant magnetic interference. 3Dr drone only gave me magnetic once I broke compass. New compass installed still magnetic interference. Any help?

It's not an antenna its a compass, its broken according to the OP
I received my new in package from 3Dr leg compass antenna and it still gives me constant magnetic interference. 3Dr drone only gave me magnetic once I broke compass. Newcompass installed still magnetic interference. Any help?

If you did not crash the Solo and it was working properly before you broke the Leg Compass try this Make sure you are not near any steel/ferrous objects no rings or jewelry and perform a Level and compass calibration best to be out in a field not in your house.

If that does not work I'm afraid you are not alone Search Results for Query: magnetic interference | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

This seems to happen after a bad crash and usually indicates a problem with the internal compass on the pixhawk, it may be damaged or it my simply be stuck....
You can try to "unstick the Compass" by removing the battery flipping the Solo on its back and try smacking the bottom right behind the Gimbal bay a few times.....This may or may not work when you shock a magnetic device to the point of failure it's usually broken So a new Pixhawk may be in order

Reactions: Jakington
X
If you did not crash the Solo and it was working properly before you broke the Leg Compass try this Make sure you are not near any steel/ferrous objects no rings or jewelry and perform a Level and compass calibration best to be out in a field not in your house.

If that does not work I'm afraid you are not alone Search Results for Query: magnetic interference | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

This seems to happen after a bad crash and usually indicates a problem with the internal compass on the pixhawk, it may be damaged or it my simply be stuck....
You can try to "unstick the Compass" by removing the battery flipping the Solo on its back and try smacking the bottom right behind the Gimbal bay a few times.....This may or may not work when you shock a magnetic device to the point of failure it's usually broken So a new Pixhawk may be in order

Wouldnt the compass only be stuck if I had crashed it..? I never crashed it, only broke the leg compass chip in half.. I will go do the compass calibration today and see if that helps.. I ended up doing a full factory reset the other day after the new leg compass didnt fix it, but that didnt do anything.

X

Wouldnt the compass only be stuck if I had crashed it..? I never crashed it, only broke the leg compass chip in half.. I will go do the compass calibration today and see if that helps.. I ended up doing a full factory reset the other day after the new leg compass didnt fix it, but that didnt do anything.
Do you have the gimbal attached? If so try to calibrate without the Gimbal attached, you did mention it had an issue..

X

To answer the question about when the compass can be stuck -

It doesn't need to be a crash. Stiction is a real thing and though manufacturers guard against it thru various manufacturing and design tricks, most MEMS parts are still subject to it if shocked. Some parts will suffer stiction if subjected to as low as 5 Gs. I have personally had a compass get stuck after a ride [in the backpack] down a rather terrible Chicago street at moderate speed. While I believe Solo's part is god upwards of 15G, I wouldn't quote me on that. Also it is suprisingly easy to subject a part like a MEMS compass to a shock load if carried in a motorized vehicle.

Also, did you do a parameter reset when you did the factory reset? They are not the same thing...

The part that broke its actually the leg compass and its very easy to replace, If this broke in a crash you need to check the wire on the other end inside the solo to make sure it did not break anything on the Main-board connector.
You can probably find a used one here or new from B&H Photo your favorite place to shop 3DR Replacement Leg with Compass for Solo Quadcopter LC11A B&H

Who has experience using compass included with some iterations of u-Blox M8N GPS such as from E-bay or AliExpress instead of original SOLO leg compass? I ask because I am thinking of switching from leg compass to other type. Any observations,suggestions, or insults?

Thanks, Joe Homer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc