HDMI cable interference solution-jello is gone

Reaction score
I'm guessing this story will sound crazy to those of you who understand the electronic part of these birds, but I had to replace my original HDMI cable on my solo. I bought one online from a recommendation I found here at 3drpilots, in another discussion.
Here is a pic of the original and the replacement side by side. The original has the "barrel" shaped piece that is molded on the cable. I can't remember what it's name is but it seems to help eliminate interference with the GPS unit. To some extent anyway.HDMI cables.JPG

After installing the replacement, I went for a fly to try it out. Being in a hurry, I neglected to turn on the camera. Had 11 sats and screen said hold fly for motor start. Went to Solo and turned on the camera. Went back and the screen say searching for GPS. Ugh, wait a couple minutes.....and a couple more.....figured something was wrong and went to turn all off and start over. My wife calls me and says we have lock. So I tell her to take off. Not recording but at least we had vid on the iPad. She flies it back so I can push the shutter and off we go for a whole battery. Once the thing is in the air, it stayed flying after I would turn on the cam.
She lands, fresh battery, and set to go again. Cam is now on and Solo won't lock onto GPS. Turn off camera and Solo instantly locks on. She takes off and I turn on camera. Long story short, the cam is causing some type of interference with the GPS. I double checked to see if the wifi was on in the camera, and it wasn't.
I decide to add shielding to cable on the way home.
I removed the cable, and then I took a 12" square piece of aluminum foil, folded it, and rolled it around the cable. Then wrapped that with electrical tape. Reinstalled the cable and went out front for a quick try at acquiring sats. Turned on camera first then Solo, then controller. All worked like new. Then tried turning on different items at different times. Each time, sats were quickly found so I did a short around the block test with cam on.

When I played the vid back on the laptop, the normal "jello" appearance was GONE!! (I am gimbal-less BTW) so I'm wondering if this "aluminum foil" trick might help someone else.

Hope so !

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog and Raybro
Thanks Raybro!!

So that's what it's called. Should I be using the FC instead of my $0.03 solution? Can I use multiple ones, or would weight become a problem? Ferrite is iron based, I think, so using 3 or four can add up. Can I remove the one on the old cable and re-use it? Even when I had the original cable the jello was there, and like I said, it's GONE now.

Reactions: Maddog
If it's working the way you like it, I would stick with it. I'm finding it hard to believe 3DR does not have these cables listed in their parts section. They may be trying to source a more flexible type cable.

Reactions: Maddog
Thanks Raybro!!

So that's what it's called. Should I be using the FC instead of my $0.03 solution? Can I use multiple ones, or would weight become a problem? Ferrite is iron based, I think, so using 3 or four can add up. Can I remove the one on the old cable and re-use it? Even when I had the original cable the jello was there, and like I said, it's GONE now.
I've been told that if it's sitting slightly to the right, it is normal. Personally, mine is straight ahead and I think if it's slightly off center, the cable tension pushing it that way.IMG_20151018_082508945.jpg

If it's working the way you like it, I would stick with it. I'm finding it hard to believe 3DR does not have these cables listed in their parts section. They may be trying to source a more flexible type cable.
Absolutely agree...whatever the reason for things working well for you...if they do, count your blessings and remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Reactions: Raybro and Maddog
Santa- was the replacement cable as stiff as the original?
The new cable was slightly less stiff than OEM. Even though, it has a larger diameter.

I also spoke too soon. The jello in todays videos is there, but hardly noticeable. After closer scrutiny, the short vid I shot yesterday had almost none. I should have given a better report. It still is a LOT better than before adding the shielding. I'm hoping to use one of those ribbon cables if my gimbal ever arrives.....haha. I might just try the foil trick on the ribbon one too, depending on my results post gimbal.

Thanks for everyones input!!

L8R

I've been told that if it's sitting slightly to the right, it is normal. Personally, mine is straight ahead and I think if it's slightly off center, the cable tension pushing it that way.View attachment 1616

After all I've read on here about the OEM cable being stiff, I'm leaning hard to the side of one of the ribbon cables. Seems to me 3DR should consider how these parts affect each other?

The new cable was slightly less stiff than OEM. Even though, it has a larger diameter.

I also spoke too soon. The jello in todays videos is there, but hardly noticeable. After closer scrutiny, the short vid I shot yesterday had almost none. I should have given a better report. It still is a LOT better than before adding the shielding. I'm hoping to use one of those ribbon cables if my gimbal ever arrives.....haha. I might just try the foil trick on the ribbon one too, depending on my results post gimbal.

Thanks for everyones input!!

L8R
There is another thread going now about that ribbon cable. Somebody posted that they shielded the cable with metal HVAC tape I think. Not sure what the results are yet.

If I was to add a small comment here, If you note where the HDMI Out on the Gimbal is and on the HDMI board under the mainboard of the Solo, you would note that there really isn't a reason for a wire to be coiled directly under the GPS. I have a ribbon in place and I may need to reduce the noise on it, as I have a GPS issue to solve. I will post results, but a mere observation I wanted to voice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso