Has anyone used these filters

Yea I got em they ain't half bad, they're worth the price and I got em fast. Was going to go with the taco set but didn't want to wait any longer on stuff for solo.

Yea I got em they ain't half bad, they're worth the price and I got em fast. Was going to go with the taco set but didn't want to wait any longer on stuff for solo.

What is the "taco" set? I don't mind waiting if they are better in quality.

What is the "taco" set? I don't mind waiting if they are better in quality.
Can't say if they are better, I've not used them but it is a larger set made by taco and seems like a good deal if you need a larger selection. I figure I'd get these fast and buy others after I upgrade to a new lens over winter. Think I'm going to have peau install it so they can do their fix for pink corners. Odds are the glass quality is similar, but I'm not big on ordering from overseas and hoping things show sooner or later was why I went with those mentioned.

Last edited:
I have been using the Polar Pro 6-Pack as well - mostly the ND8 and ND8 PL. As others have said, they are light and have been working well.

Being in Canada, I didn't get a case - just the microfibre bags. I ordered a case from Taco-RC last month. Never got it. They say they are re-shipping it? Will wait some more.

I just flew my first flight with these. I noticed a huge improvement in jello with the ND8 filter. Still waiting on a prop balancing rod.

I am considering buying the Polarpro 3 pack set from BestBuy $49. I mainly want to avoid the darkening of footage as the drone faces the sun/bright sky vs. facing away. Am using Hero4 Black on gimbal with Solo. I want to know whether/how each of these three filters helps eliminate that darkening by equalizing the footage regardless of whether drone is facing toward vs. away from sun. Also does the quality of footage in general get diminished by the filtes?

Finally what would make it worth spending twice as much for the 6-pack?

Thanks

Can't say if they are better, I've not used them but it is a larger set made by taco and seems like a good deal if you need a larger selection. I figure I'd get these fast and buy others after I upgrade to a new lens over winter. Think I'm going to have peau install it so they can do their fix for pink corners. Odds are the glass quality is similar, but I'm not big on ordering from overseas and hoping things show sooner or later was why I went with those mentioned.

All US filters set orders are shipped from New Jersey warehouse. Usually it takes a week to deliver the item.

I am considering buying the Polarpro 3 pack set from BestBuy $49. I mainly want to avoid the darkening of footage as the drone faces the sun/bright sky vs. facing away. Am using Hero4 Black on gimbal with Solo. I want to know whether/how each of these three filters helps eliminate that darkening by equalizing the footage regardless of whether drone is facing toward vs. away from sun. Also does the quality of footage in general get diminished by the filtes?

Finally what would make it worth spending twice as much for the 6-pack?

Thanks
JCage, The darkening of the image when you turn towards the sun is a function of the automatic exposure setting in your GoPro and these filters will not change that. Basically what these filters will get you are:
1. Help eliminate the jello effect seen in your footage which is caused by a combination of vibration and high shutter speed chosen by the automatic settings in your camera to give you proper exposure for a bright scene.
2. Give you a more "filmic" look by getting you closer to a 180º shutter (or double the shutter speed of your framerate). ie, if you are shooting at 60 fps on your GoPro, to get the proper "filmic" look, you would want to shoot at 120/sec shutter speed to hit the 180º rule. Since we can't set this on the GoPro manually, we add ND filters to help the auto settings on the camera choose a slower shutter speed.
3. If you choose a ND/Polarizer combo filter, you'll also get the benefits of having the glare reduced and some help with the colors.

That's why the 3 and 6 pack exists, to cover you in more situations. You'll need to experiment with the settings on your GoPro (setting the max ISO down to 400-800) while adding one of these filters for more professional looking footage. I own the Polar Pro 6 pack.

Reactions: J R
JCage, The darkening of the image when you turn towards the sun is a function of the automatic exposure setting in your GoPro and these filters will not change that. Basically what these filters will get you are:
1. Help eliminate the jello effect seen in your footage which is caused by a combination of vibration and high shutter speed chosen by the automatic settings in your camera to give you proper exposure for a bright scene.
2. Give you a more "filmic" look by getting you closer to a 180º shutter (or double the shutter speed of your framerate). ie, if you are shooting at 60 fps on your GoPro, to get the proper "filmic" look, you would want to shoot at 120/sec shutter speed to hit the 180º rule. Since we can't set this on the GoPro manually, we add ND filters to help the auto settings on the camera choose a slower shutter speed.
3. If you choose a ND/Polarizer combo filter, you'll also get the benefits of having the glare reduced and some help with the colors.

That's why the 3 and 6 pack exists, to cover you in more situations. You'll need to experiment with the settings on your GoPro (setting the max ISO down to 400-800) while adding one of these filters for more professional looking footage. I own the Polar Pro 6 pack.

Wow, do you offer instructional courses? If so then sign me up. Looks like I have much to learn, but I am glad you answered the question that the darkening will not be eliminated by the filters alone. Can I get ri of that by adjusting the auto exposure setting in GoPro?

Thanks

Do you have a favorite?
I got the 3 pack yesterday, it does weigh the gimbal down at rest.
My lens is modded with the 4.4 12MP and I think 4K 30 is going to be my format for this weekends shoot
thinking of using the 4 because it is going to be partly cloudy and at 30FPs the shutter will be slower naturally

Do you have a favorite?
I got the 3 pack yesterday, it does weigh the gimbal down at rest.
My lens is modded with the 4.4 12MP and I think 4K 30 is going to be my format for this weekends shoot
thinking of using the 4 because it is going to be partly cloudy and at 30FPs the shutter will be slower naturally
I like the ND8-PL. I know that is not included in your kit so you will need to see what works best for you.

Reactions: pyrate
Wow, do you offer instructional courses? If so then sign me up. Looks like I have much to learn, but I am glad you answered the question that the darkening will not be eliminated by the filters alone. Can I get ri of that by adjusting the auto exposure setting in GoPro?

Thanks
JCage,
Nope, just try to help out when I can as I've learned so much from others. I'm pretty new to the UAV world like many others here, but video is my profession so I can help people out with that!
I'm not sure if there are any graduated filters for GoPros, but if you can find some that might help out a bit. That would darken the sky without darkening the ground as much. Think of it like a pair of sunglasses that are darker on top and gradually clear up towards the bottom. It's a common filter used in photography and video, but the trick would be when using it on a moving drone that tilts the camera often, it wouldn't always be positioned correctly. But it could help in certain shots.

JCage,
...I'm not sure if there are any graduated filters for GoPros, but if you can find some that might help out a bit. That would darken the sky without darkening the ground as much. Think of it like a pair of sunglasses that are darker on top and gradually clear up towards the bottom. It's a common filter used in photography and video, but the trick would be when using it on a moving drone that tilts the camera often, it wouldn't always be positioned correctly. But it could help in certain shots.

Gradient Filter 3-Pack: GoPro Frame 2.0

Reactions: Maddog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc