Hand Catch Solo

Reaction score
Hi All, I finally got the courage to practice hand catching my Solo, and yes I was extremely nervous doing this but really wanted to practice this.

I practiced safely both catching by the leg and by catching the under side of Solo. Both methods appeared very easy to do and I could quickly power of the motors with no problems. I would prefer catching the underside of Solo purely as you are not handling any flimsy components such as legs.

When catching by the leg I insured I let the drone drop to my side (whilst holding it) immediately when shutting the motors off, this takes undue stress of the leg.

I wouldn't say I don't recommend this, but, I would strongly recommend that anyone attempting this do so in good conditions, an open and clear area, wear a leather glove (one that still allows hand dexterity) take your time and only catch when you are confident and ready to attempt to do so.

I was watching a phantom pilot hens catch the other day and was quite envious of the relative ease he did this and thought I need to learn this skill for when I fly /land in obstacle laden areas.

I hope this helps anyone, happy flying and be extremely careful if attempting this. Regards

Reactions: Solo Keith and Bret
I, too, practice catching the Solo's underside while landing. Whenever I take off from my boat, there is no where else to land to. Just have to make sure you are confident that you catching it. Practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I've been practicing the hand catch and release since day one since I plan on using it to capture footage from a boat. I've found that if you don't put it into manual mode before landing, sometimes the motors don't want to shut down if it recognizes a NON level surface.
I pop it into manual mode (A button preset) just before grabbing it, then hold the throttle stick down and to the left, and motors shut down almost immediately every time

Reactions: Bret
I've been practicing the hand catch and release since day one since I plan on using it to capture footage from a boat. I've found that if you don't put it into manual mode before landing, sometimes the motors don't want to shut down if it recognizes a NON level surface.
I pop it into manual mode (A button preset) just before grabbing it, then hold the throttle stick down and to the left, and motors shut down almost immediately every time

That's interesting. I have never thought about. I just fly it down, catch it and hold left throttle down and out. The motors shut off very quick that way also.

I have not had that issue but am trying to get in the habit of putting in manual to do a hand catch.

if you put it in manual and try to hand catch, would it risk taking your eyes out if a moderate gust of wind comes blowing your way?

I've done hand catching and legs are safer because it's further away from the spinning blades...I would not worry at all about stress on those plastic legs with no internals in them (back ones at least)

I ensure I catch it with my arm extended above my head, quite safe I think. But yes, I agree that the leg is safer. Cheers

Either leg or body, it's probably advised to catch it above head-height. If a glitch did occur, Solo would be more likely to dart off laterally than vertically, and if it's above your head, you'd be in the clear. It's still obviously not without some degree of danger, but I've done it many times without incident.

I used to catch under the body, but have since started just grabbing the leg. Once I have it in hand, I just drop the throttle until the motors shut off, then let it drop to the side so I'm not supporting it level with just one leg. I don't feel it puts any excess on the leg.

Reactions: Bret and SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela