Group Purchase of the 3.8mm lens

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the 3.8mm lens (MODEL 123038MPF-B)? I'm going to place an order at the end of the week so if anyone wants to get one to save on shipping let me know. The lens is $29.99 each plus $30 shipping which will be split up between everyone. If you are interested message me and we can work out the details. Here is a link to the lens 1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount M12 Low-Distortion Board Lens for IMX117, Drone lens

Sorry to ask, but do you have any example videos...linkie...?
I do but where I live my internet is super slow,, less than 1mbps upload, It will take for ever to send a sample. All I can say is That I'm happy with video out of the camera, no PP. like all lenses you can get good one or a lemon, happen with Peau And the big names. I been taking pictures for 30 years
And I can tell when I get a lemon.

Attachments

• IMG_5270.PNG
    IMG_5270.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 65
I do but where I live my internet is super slow,, less than 1mbps upload, It will take for ever to send a sample. All I can say is That I'm happy with video out of the camera, no PP. like all lenses you can get good one or a lemon, happen with Peau And the big names. I been taking pictures for 30 years
And I can tell when I get a lemon.
Slow internet sucks. Next trip to the big city, upload from a thumb drive....;)

ETA: My upload speed isn't much better...1.04Mbps

Rich,

These are from a a 16MP 3.8mm may not be the exact lens but many sellers buy from the same factory. My example showed a soft corner but it may have been a slightly out of square lens mount.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome Greg, I remember each video now, excellent work. I've known the 3.97 and 3.8 have shown well. I suspect editing does improve the results, as you guys have crazy good skills. Possibly @Ismael Bugarin is just all talk, since he won't show his work....;) JOKING

I'm kind of hankering on the 5.4 for a while now. I've gotten my gimbal fairly smooth and am interested in giving it a try with a less forgiving lens. It plays in to my addiction for vibe reduction I've had over the last two years.

I just contacted Peau, they don't rent setups. So I may pull the trigger and buy a package then add a lens. I know I'd muck up my GP4B if I attempted. Besides, them offering a warranty would give me a little peace of mind.

I'm kind of hankering on the 5.4 for a while now.

Rich,

I ran a 5.4 for a while and it helps getting a closer view when filming from a distance. The narrower field of view can be a plus or minus depending on the subject and ability to move in or out to frame. I decided that most of the time I preferred a wider field of view.

It's too bad that they can't be instantly swapped as one can with lens on a DSLR camera.

Rich,

I ran a 5.4 for a while and it helps getting a closer view when filming from a distance. The narrower field of view can be a plus or minus depending on the subject and ability to move in or out to frame. I decided that most of the time I preferred a wider field of view.

It's too bad that they can't be instantly swapped as one can with lens on a DSLR camera.
Thanks for your perspective, that's somewhat my goal to have a +2X zoom. I agree a swap-able lens would have been most ideal out of the box. But for the current platform and the expand ability this is an awesome solution.

Again I appreciate the conversations, examples and suggestions. I'm slowly getting there, wish I wasn't so objective minded. What I fully realize now is that the majority of the "art" is in the post editing.

Rich,

Really nice videos Greg. I picked up a 3.8mm as well not too long ago. First one had a blurry left side. I figured it was the lens so I got them to send me another. This one seems better but I need to sharpen the focus. I printed off an image that the military uses for setting focus and set it up inside only about 5 feet from the camera and dialed it in quite well. I'd also point it out the window while doing it to see what distance looks like. However I think I should be sighting it purely on distance. It seems not perfectly sharp.

Do you have any tricks for focusing new lenses?

Awesome Greg, I remember each video now, excellent work. I've known the 3.97 and 3.8 have shown well. I suspect editing does improve the results, as you guys have crazy good skills. Possibly @Ismael Bugarin is just all talk, since he won't show his work....;) JOKING

I'm kind of hankering on the 5.4 for a while now. I've gotten my gimbal fairly smooth and am interested in giving it a try with a less forgiving lens. It plays in to my addiction for vibe reduction I've had over the last two years.

I just contacted Peau, they don't rent setups. So I may pull the trigger and buy a package then add a lens. I know I'd muck up my GP4B if I attempted. Besides, them offering a warranty would give me a little peace of mind.
Yes by all means buy the PEE-U brand lens. Higher price always means better! They MUST be made in Germany, Japan, or hey maybe even Switzerland for that price (it would be funny if their supplier was China AliBbaba lmao).

I am curious though (and IT is yet be answered in ANY forum): Why are their lenses sooooooo much better than the one I bought for $25 from China (that I find to be perfect in both focus and coloration)? Most likely answer: Price of China lens with no marketing hype=$25 Same lens with Peau marketing hype=$99

Good for them though; they have made a market niche appealing to suckers who require a designer label and a lollipop.lol.

I have no dog in the fight, but when dealing with optics, microns of thickness can make a difference. Slightly inconsistent density of your refractor affects the refractive index and thus your image. Incomplete coating, gluing, or alignment can affect focus and thus your image.

At present, the Germans, the Japanese, and the Swiss have proven track records of quality control and process control in lens production. The chinese, I general, have a record of inconsistent, hit-or-miss optics. For better or for worse, that seems to be the truth of the matter for now.

Reactions: DJMc
Yes by all means buy the PEE-U brand lens. Higher price always means better! They MUST be made in Germany, Japan, or hey maybe even Switzerland for that price (it would be funny if their supplier was China AliBbaba lmao).

I am curious though (and IT is yet be answered in ANY forum): Why are their lenses sooooooo much better than the one I bought for $25 from China (that I find to be perfect in both focus and coloration)? Most likely answer: Price of China lens with no marketing hype=$25 Same lens with Peau marketing hype=$99

Good for them though; they have made a market niche appealing to suckers who require a designer label and a lollipop.lol.
I'd buy the whole setup from them, camera, lens and profile.... I just don't want to muck around, they cover the warranty and I get what I want with less potential issues. If the lens is a smiggin better, then the cost will be worth it.

But hey, I got no problem with what is being proposed. Group buy 3.8 lenses from china for $25 each, buy a couple and pick the better of the two...still cheaper than Peau...

I have no dog in the fight, but when dealing with optics, microns of thickness can make a difference. Slightly inconsistent density of your refractor affects the refractive index and thus your image. Incomplete coating, gluing, or alignment can affect focus and thus your image.

At present, the Germans, the Japanese, and the Swiss have proven track records of quality control and process control in lens production. The chinese, I general, have a record of inconsistent, hit-or-miss optics. For better or for worse, that seems to be the truth of the matter for now.
No argument there! The argument is which factory in China did Peau get their lenses from, and additionally HOW are they any different or better than the ones that come from, (most likely) the same bin from the same manufacture with the same specs? Furthermore, the $30 lens site goes into lengthy specs. Pee-u has NONE! That doesn't instill, in me, much confidence in their product.

I, being the cynic and wise to the hustlers, believe that they ARE the same EXACT ones that can be found for $25-$30 all day long. As of yet no one has refuted nor offered a comparison to my contention (nor did I find any.)

I have a GoPro black. I changed out the lens with a $25 Ebay lens that looks identical to Pee-U's, even the external writing is the same. The clarity, focus, coloration, and resolution looks the same as GoPros factory lens to my eye. Perhaps (read again perhaps) it is measurably better, but I don't see it. I do see the $75 still in my pocket and the (presumed) satisfaction that I wasn't hustled by the "brand" designers whose ONLY added value was the hype of the web design.

I'd buy the whole setup from them, camera, lens and profile.... I just don't want to muck around, they cover the warranty and I get what I want with less potential issues. If the lens is a smiggin better, then the cost will be worth it.

But hey, I got no problem with what is being proposed. Group buy 3.8 lenses from china for $25 each, buy a couple and pick the better of the two...still cheaper than Peau...
"buy a couple and pick the better of the two."
That would probably be twice the quality control than Peau would give you too.
Additionally, MAYBE the Peau lens that they would send you would be the lesser of the two $25 lenses that you referenced. But hey, if you have the money, spend it; but before ya do.....throw some my way :)

Really nice videos Greg. I picked up a 3.8mm as well not too long ago. First one had a blurry left side. I figured it was the lens so I got them to send me another. This one seems better but I need to sharpen the focus. I printed off an image that the military uses for setting focus and set it up inside only about 5 feet from the camera and dialed it in quite well. I'd also point it out the window while doing it to see what distance looks like. However I think I should be sighting it purely on distance. It seems not perfectly sharp.

Do you have any tricks for focusing new lenses?
Chiniming in, hoping to throw in my experience. First, you have to decide what distance you want to have in focus. Consider that you may not want to have infinity as the set point. Having said that. you have to set the cam on a solid surface with the lens able to be twisted in the mount. Attached via USB will be the cam to a monitor. I happen to have a UHD monitor so I get fairly decent details. pick a point fairly far away that when in focus, will be easy to see. something like a corner of something with contrast. So when you "dial it in"" it'll be obvious.
Note that there is going to be a little wiggle room with twisting the lens to get focus at infinity. You want to be on the focused in end where some things not quite at infinity are also in focus. There a thing called the depth of focus aka field of focus. You want that field to favor things closer than infinity.

Reactions: Ricard
Chiniming in, hoping to throw in my experience. First, you have to decide what distance you want to have in focus. Consider that you may not want to have infinity as the set point. Having said that. you have to set the cam on a solid surface with the lens able to be twisted in the mount. Attached via USB will be the cam to a monitor. I happen to have a UHD monitor so I get fairly decent details. pick a point fairly far away that when in focus, will be easy to see. something like a corner of something with contrast. So when you "dial it in"" it'll be obvious.
Note that there is going to be a little wiggle room with twisting the lens to get focus at infinity. You want to be on the focused in end where some things not quite at infinity are also in focus. There a thing called the depth of focus aka field of focus. You want that field to favor things closer than infinity.

Thank you. I did just that but only at about 6 feet, not thinking that it wasn't focusing the deeper view. I'll set up the monitor again and get out pointed out a window or possibly take it outside.

Thanks for the help. This one from 4k seems to be better quality than the last one which had blue on the left field of view.

My focusing methodology is time consuming but seems to work well enough for me. I get a rough focus inside using a 60 inch TV across about 35 feet.

Then I move outside using the camera mode I take pictures of a 10 inch high black letter on a white background. This is typically placed around 100 to 110 feet out.

I have the lens marked with three or more faint lines scratched in the paint about 2mm apart. I take a series of pictures moving the lens one notch at a time.

I pull the card and look at the pictures on a 4k monitor and blow them up to 200% to 400% to judge sharpness. I also look at foreground objects to see if closer distances are acceptable. Once I find a notch area that looks the best I will take three more pictures moving half above, On and half below the notch and repeat the reviewing process. Once I decide on the spot I mark it more prominently.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea