Green Cube Waggy RTL

Reaction score
Anyone else noticing that RTL now seems a bit "waggy"? Here are two instances, the first (the more green) is during one of my initial test flights after installing the Green Cube. That clip shows where I manually initiated a return to launch.

The second is a couple of days ago where I was flying out over a pond, here the RTL was auto-initiated when the Solo lost connection with the controller. Also odd is that it initially spun around as if looking for its way home, all of which was visible at the time on the video back to me as that signal remained clear.

The oscillation in the second case is more apparent in the longer video given that it is sped up.

Regardless, I suppose I'm pleased that it is happy to return to me.

Your first link is prompting me to buy a Vimeo plan rather than showing me a video. In your second link, you didn't say when this RTL happens.

I'm not sure what "waggy" means. So my initial response is no I haven't noticed anything waggy about it. But I also am not sure yet what you really mean.

Beautiful scenery, but I didn't see what you are talking about.
Can you let us know when it starts?

Thanks both. I feel like it yaws back and forth more than in the past. I was hesitant to post this as I find that the more I edit the more I invent artifacts that may only be present in my head and not really there. But mindful of the fact that it stood out to me after each viewing of post-Green Cube install video I asked.

The first clip is cut so that it starts at the RTH, you can see it increasing altitude at the start. It then heads toward the home point and you can see it sway at the 9-10 second point and again at 19-27 (or so). The gimbal is smoothing that so the actual yawing must be more significant than what I can see inthe video.

The second clip starts around 45 seconds, again it rises a bit and curiously spins back and forth. Ignoring that, as I look at it again this morning I admit it is not as bad as I thought last night (after perhaps too much time at the editor). Still, I see it yawing around the 2 minute mark. The sped up version (second link, also here) shows it more given that it is exacerbated by the increased playback speed. Go to about 1:22 where it starts the auto-RTL and you can see it up until I regain control at around 1:47.

As I said, I'm mindful that this stood out to me after the update. I often tend to fly out, RTL, and then control the pitch (lazy man cable cam?). I'd think that corrections would be more common the closer it got to the target yet I see them even out some distance.

Perhaps I'm just getting too fussy.

Thanks,

- Bruce

I'm not seeing the RTL issue. I see the "wag" but it's impossible to tell if it's the gimbal or the copter doing that. I've never seen that before so I don't think it's a systemic green cube thing.

RTL will gain altitude initially unless you have changed the RTL_CLIMB_MIN parameter. What GPS are you using and is the compass calibrated well.

RTL will gain altitude initially unless you have changed the RTL_CLIMB_MIN parameter. What GPS are you using and is the compass calibrated well.
Late coming back to this (been out for a while). I'm using the mRo GPS (or was). As you suggested, compass is one of the first things I tried. I still feel that it does more yaw movement than I remember but I will concede that it is likely I've been staring at footage in the editor too long.

Btw, during this discussion I was up toward Littleton, NH having a ball flying in windy conditions. When Matt states that the Green Cube makes the Solo a whole different animal he was not kidding. It is way more enjoyable flying it. Once with the GC it is hard to go back (hence replacement is on the way).

One windy flight made for a lot of gimbal shudder, got me to trying out the stabilizer in both proDAD Mercalli SAL V4 and that in Davinci Resolve V14. Check it out if you are so inclined. I'd always been impressed with what Mercalli could do but Resolve does very well. Price is great too.

Green Cube is great. Wind on the gimbal is some thing that needs to be handled in post. I have found that MAS props and using filters to slow down the shutter seem to help a lot.

One windy flight made for a lot of gimbal shudder, got me to trying out the stabilizer in both proDAD Mercalli SAL V4 and that in Davinci Resolve V14. Check it out if you are so inclined. I'd always been impressed with what Mercalli could do but Resolve does very well. Price is great too.
It would be cool if you posted these vid's over in the video forum, they are really interesting comparison. I'm sure others would appreciate seeing one to another...

I agree Resolve did very well on this footage.

Reactions: David Boulanger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea