Grand Canyon

Reaction score
I just got my solo a month ago. As I understand it the solo has a barometric altimeter that calibrates takeoff altitude as zero. If this is true then I should be able to fly over a cliff at the canyon and the solo SHOULD maintain altitude and not fall like a rock (trying to find 10 feet at 1500 feet). Has anyone tried this? What happened? Also my friends want me to fly in a large hangar. What does solo do when it looses GPS?

Yes. It does not know or care what the elevation of terrain is.

FYI, The grand canyon is a national park, and drones are banned there.

Reactions: Gosling1
The SOLO will maintain altitude if you fly over a canyon edge, with the possible exception of air density changes causing altitude variations.

However, DO NOT attempt to fly over the Grand Canyon. It is RESTRICTED airspace per the NPS and FAA.

Also my friends want me to fly in a large hangar. What does solo do when it looses GPS?

See the Solo User Manual, page 62 (bottom): "If Solo loses GPS during flight, it switches into Fly:Manual." What that means, and what to do when it happens, and how to practice for that eventuality before it happens unexpectedly, are all covered in the User Manual. It's a good manual. Highly recommended. Hint, hint.

Reactions: rbldude14
Well ok... scratch the cool canyon pics. Thanks for the input.

GCNP uses Solos in the park. I have flown there, legally. Solo doesn't do anything weird going over the edge. A couple things to ponder tho, angle of the antennas on the controller and make sure you have enough battery to climb back up.

I saw that article. You guys have the FPVLR rigs right? First sweep for lost hikers and such before they send out the helicopters in an effort to keep the helicopters and their pilots safer, right.?

Super jealous. I wanna play, too!:D

I think they do have the FPVLR now. I helped train them to fly last fall and we used stock Solos with good results. At the time we talked about FPVLR to get them a bit more range. I work for another agency and was invited to help out with the training. It was definitely one of the cooler places Iv flown.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421