Got my Gimbal! Flew too!

Reaction score
Man, what a few days...
My gimbal finally arrived this Monday from Fry's. So after watching all the videos etc., I did the install without removing the battery tray. I just tucked all the cables out of the way, and it seemed to work. Got the GoPro Hero 4 Black hooked up and the camera was frozen... To make a long story short, spent the rest of the day trying to get the GP to work with GP tech support, realizing it was beyond help, then dealing with Best Buy to get them to exchange at the store (I had purchased a BB plan/warranty). By the time I got this all sorted and made the trip to Best Buy and back, it was too late to fly for the day.
Just before going to bed, I decided to go grab a pork roast out of the freezer to bring in to the fridge to thaw. Opened the garage to find my hot water heater spewing water and flooding my 3 car garage! What a mess. Of course the third bay is a junk storage area, so had to pull all that out and start the drying process.
Despite the mess, I got up early and drove down by the Green River and made a perfect flight! No limp gimbal, everything works like it is supposed to work. I did have a few seconds of a sloping horizon line, but that seems to have resolved itself. Came back home, made arrangements to have the hot water heater replaced and by late afternoon was free to fly through two more batteries. I'm starting to really like this thing finally! So far there hasn't been a single issue with the gimbal!
Now 3DR, get us the firmware updates that will give us the capabilities promised! Then my affections for the Solo will be as strong as they are for the P3P right now.

Glad to hear it GN! Welcome to SOG (Satisfied Owners with a Gimbal) club. Sounds like good ol' Mr. Murphy was hanging out at your house. Try to keep him away from your Solo..

wait a minute, back to the water heater.....you mean to tell me that you can't replace the water heater yourself? LOL

wait a minute, back to the water heater.....you mean to tell me that you can't replace the water heater yourself? LOL
I could have replaced it myself. But I have enough projects to keep me busy for an entire year...

I own a rental home about 40 miles north of where I live. After a couple of successive bad tenants I decided to keep it vacant this past winter, with the plan to do some upgrades and sell it this summer. In January a tree fell in a wind storm and came through my roof. The neighbors on either side were renters, didn't know who to contact, so the house set like that for a month of winter rain. Vandals saw the tree in the roof and nothing being done about it, so they broke in and trashed the house, ripped out all the wiring and copper plumbing. They burned foam cushions in the house to see at night, covering every surface with black soot. A month later when we found the house the mold and water damage was severe. The insurance company tried to back out, said the house was "abandoned" since it had been 5 weeks since I'd checked the vacant property. Got an attorney involved and the insurance company settled for about 40% of the cost of the damages...
I've spent $15K for a new roof, $10,000 to have the house rewired, $8K for plumbing, and the majority of demo and clean up has been done by me and two buddies. There is still a lot of work to do., replace a large deck that the tree took out, kitchen and bathrooms are down to studs...
Yeah, I can replace a hot water heater, but I also have the means to hire it done, and that is a luxury I have no problem indulging in right now.
Right now I'm headed over to the house to put in another day of work by myself. Then back to work tomorrow for 4 twelve hour shifts over the weekend.

YAY we should join/create a forum that consists of only SOGs! Im super happy with mine and cant stand all the whiners in this forum!! haha. Good to hear that you got it going. Mine was super easy to install. I personally did notice it was chewing through the battery a little faster while i was flying but that's to be expected.. extra weight/power consumption ect. Not sure I will achieve the 20min mark like they state.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I could have replaced it myself. But I have enough projects to keep me busy for an entire year...

I own a rental home about 40 miles north of where I live. After a couple of successive bad tenants I decided to keep it vacant this past winter, with the plan to do some upgrades and sell it this summer. In January a tree fell in a wind storm and came through my roof. The neighbors on either side were renters, didn't know who to contact, so the house set like that for a month of winter rain. Vandals saw the tree in the roof and nothing being done about it, so they broke in and trashed the house, ripped out all the wiring and copper plumbing. They burned foam cushions in the house to see at night, covering every surface with black soot. A month later when we found the house the mold and water damage was severe. The insurance company tried to back out, said the house was "abandoned" since it had been 5 weeks since I'd checked the vacant property. Got an attorney involved and the insurance company settled for about 40% of the cost of the damages...
I've spent $15K for a new roof, $10,000 to have the house rewired, $8K for plumbing, and the majority of demo and clean up has been done by me and two buddies. There is still a lot of work to do., replace a large deck that the tree took out, kitchen and bathrooms are down to studs...
Yeah, I can replace a hot water heater, but I also have the means to hire it done, and that is a luxury I have no problem indulging in right now.
Right now I'm headed over to the house to put in another day of work by myself. Then back to work tomorrow for 4 twelve hour shifts over the weekend.

I know exactly what you are going through! My experience was not as bad as yours though. Bad and dumb renters can ruin everything! Too bad this forum is not a rental forum because I can share horror stories too..... :) LOL

Sorry for what you had to go through.
Now go out and fly it!

Man, what a few days...
My gimbal finally arrived this Monday from Fry's. So after watching all the videos etc., I did the install without removing the battery tray. I just tucked all the cables out of the way, and it seemed to work. Got the GoPro Hero 4 Black hooked up and the camera was frozen... To make a long story short, spent the rest of the day trying to get the GP to work with GP tech support, realizing it was beyond help, then dealing with Best Buy to get them to exchange at the store (I had purchased a BB plan/warranty). By the time I got this all sorted and made the trip to Best Buy and back, it was too late to fly for the day.
Just before going to bed, I decided to go grab a pork roast out of the freezer to bring in to the fridge to thaw. Opened the garage to find my hot water heater spewing water and flooding my 3 car garage! What a mess. Of course the third bay is a junk storage area, so had to pull all that out and start the drying process.
Despite the mess, I got up early and drove down by the Green River and made a perfect flight! No limp gimbal, everything works like it is supposed to work. I did have a few seconds of a sloping horizon line, but that seems to have resolved itself. Came back home, made arrangements to have the hot water heater replaced and by late afternoon was free to fly through two more batteries. I'm starting to really like this thing finally! So far there hasn't been a single issue with the gimbal!
Now 3DR, get us the firmware updates that will give us the capabilities promised! Then my affections for the Solo will be as strong as they are for the P3P right now.
About time huh!
That's great. I haven't flown mine with the gimbal maybe 4 or 5 times but it has been flawless.

Wow. Wish I could help you out.

Man I too have had some bad luck latley, but after your story it's not worth a mention anymore. Sorry things have been rough for ya lately, glad most of the guys that have been here a while with me stuck in there too. It's finally complete and seems the few, the proud, the SOG are pretty happy, now it's time to start having fun getting great vids and making solo something special as long as the tech allows.

Good luck with all the bs GN.

Man, what a few days...
Any video?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44