GoPro's Reaction to lost GPS/Controller Signal

Reaction score
Hey everybody -

I got my 3DR Solo a couple of weeks ago, and just joined this forum to learn as much as I can from many smart people around here. Glad I did because I have learned a lot so far...so, thank you everyone.

My first questions for this forum are:

What happens to the GoPro, which is recording, when it loses GPS?

What happens to the GoPro, which is recording, when it loses controller signal?

Ever since I've started flying with the gimbal, I've been having a hard time getting consistent footage from GoPro. I keep getting disappointed that I've come away with only 1 minute in footage when I thought I've been recording the whole time. I've been researching on the GoPro topic and it seems that most are blaming the HDMI cable for lackadaisical performance, but I think the issue might be separate because I don't have many problems with consistent footage whenever I have strong GPS/controller signal.

This issue mostly arose when I flew around Chicago downtown and lost a GPS/controller signal frequently due to tall buildings. Thoughts?

Correct....I'm still not sure which one - loss of GPS or loss of controller signal - actually affects the GoPro yet. It was chaotic around the tall buildings in Chicago.

Weird... I've lost gps and my gopro recordings have been flawless. Neither of those should impact recording though... Really weirdweird.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
I have, on rare occasion, looked down and noticed that my 3+B was not recording when I certainly had pressed record. I would get a shorter than expected recording off of the card. Other than that, there hasn't been a problem. Another note: all of my early distance testing had the GP recording and when I lost signal, it would RTH with full recording. Now that I think about it, I've flown under canopies and lost GPS and it continued recording as well. That is weird...

Hey everybody -

I got my 3DR Solo a couple of weeks ago, and just joined this forum to learn as much as I can from many smart people around here. Glad I did because I have learned a lot so far...so, thank you everyone.

My first questions for this forum are:

What happens to the GoPro, which is recording, when it loses GPS?

What happens to the GoPro, which is recording, when it loses controller signal?

Ever since I've started flying with the gimbal, I've been having a hard time getting consistent footage from GoPro. I keep getting disappointed that I've come away with only 1 minute in footage when I thought I've been recording the whole time. I've been researching on the GoPro topic and it seems that most are blaming the HDMI cable for lackadaisical performance, but I think the issue might be separate because I don't have many problems with consistent footage whenever I have strong GPS/controller signal.

This issue mostly arose when I flew around Chicago downtown and lost a GPS/controller signal frequently due to tall buildings. Thoughts?
The wireless on the GoPro is turned off correct? I've not heard of this issue before. The GoPro would continue to operate as normal in a loss of signal or GPS situation. You would lose live feed in a signal loss but the camera should continue to operate. You might want to check all your cables at both ends as we are talking about 2 separate issues that really are not related.

bad card? Have you tested the gopro outside of the uav? how about recording from the ground or close range does it still happen?

the loss of gps affects the quad but it has never caused an error w my gopro. Just keeps recording as normal

The wireless on the GoPro is turned off correct?

Correct, Raybro. The Wireless is turned off.

Sometimes when I lose GPS - my GoPro stops recording. The issue seems to be sporadic which frustrates the heck out of me when I fly for 10 minutes and realize I haven't been recording. I wish there was an option to record the entire flight so I can guarantee 100% that I'm recording my flight.

I have eliminated the loss of controller signal as the reason that my GoPro stops recording last weekend when I flew at Pittsburgh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000