Gopro Hero4 Micro vibrations

Reaction score
Does anyone have a properly working gimbal that doesn't have micro vibrations in the Gopro video even when using a lens filter?

A filter is not a good solution, a filter typically just tries to hide issues by blurring the footage.

You can deal with micro vibrations with entire success with ProDrenalin, it's cheap and if you buy from ProDRENALIN there's a discount code of 3DR which is valid until tomorrow I believe, which makes it around $20. It also removes fisheye so I think it's a great tool to have.

However, it would be best to not have any vibration to begin with, to achieve this, make sure you balance your props with a DuBro balancer (there's threads on doing that on this group and videos on YouTube).

Whilst it's a not a pretty looking mod, removing the shielding from the latter 4cm or so of the HDMI lead does work wonders. See the thread on it here:

HDMI outer shielding mod | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Finally don't fly the Solo at top speed for video as A) it makes for crap video anyway, pans should be slow and smooth B) it makes vibration more likely, especially in bad winds.

You can get great footage on the Solo selected to slow, despite being called "slow" on the application it's still a fairly fast speed when used for video.

There's some great installation tips in this thread to check as well: Just a word on the gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Last edited:
A filter is not a good solution, a filter typically just tries to hide issues by blurring the footage.

You can deal with micro vibrations with entire success with ProDrenalin, it's cheap and if you buy from ProDRENALIN there's a discount code of 3DR which is valid until tomorrow I believe, which makes it around $20. It also removes fisheye so I think it's a great tool to have.

However, it would be best to not have any vibration to begin with, to achieve this, make sure you balance your props with a DuBro balancer (there's threads on doing that on this group and videos on YouTube).

Whilst it's a not a pretty looking mod, removing the shielding from the latter 4cm or so of the HDMI lead does work wonders. See the thread on it here:

Finally don't fly the Solo at top speed for video as A) it makes for crap video anyway, pans should be slow and smooth B) it makes vibration more likely, especially in bad winds. You can get great footage on the Solo selected to slow, despite being called "slow" on the application it's still a fairly fast speed when used for video.

There's some great installation tips in this thread to check as well: Just a word on the gimbal | 3D Robotics Drone Forum
Thank you for all the information much appreciated.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Does anyone know if the data connector for the gimbal is a common or standard type connector? The wires seem to be far stiffer than necessary. I'm getting a lot of small vibrations as well, and if I can pick up the connectors, I'd look into wiring up either an entirely new cable or a small extension with some nice soft silicon insulated wire.

Just route that cable so it's not restricting the gimbal and it'll be fine. Some people have flown with the HDMI unplugged which has shown the gimbal cable wasn't an issue. I suspect it's some kind of Molex plug maybe?

Finally don't fly the Solo at top speed for video as A) it makes for crap video anyway, pans should be slow and smooth B) it makes vibration more likely, especially in bad winds.

You can get great footage on the Solo selected to slow, despite being called "slow" on the application it's still a fairly fast speed when used for video.

Hey I wanted to thank you big because ProDRENALIN works really well, better then Cyberlink PowerDirector anyway in terms of artificial stabilisation software goes. Thank you for the tip I downloaded my copy with the promo. =]

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Glad to help, you can also cut your video for the shots you want moving the sliders on the time line. I believe there's some good tutorials kicking about so have a look on YouTube and shout if you can't find any.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Glad to help, you can also cut your video for the shots you want moving the sliders on the time line. I believe there's some good tutorials kicking about so have a look on YouTube and shout if you can't find any.
Sure well thank you again friend hope you get some type of commission assuming you're not already the owner of the software, I was thinking about balancing my props but this can do for now. =]

Just route that cable so it's not restricting the gimbal and it'll be fine. Some people have flown with the HDMI unplugged which has shown the gimbal cable wasn't an issue. I suspect it's some kind of Molex plug maybe?

I found the connector and ordered male/female ends and some soft silicon wire to make an extension. The HDMI cable wraps around enough that it probably doesn't transfer much vibrations, but the data cable is pretty short and really stiff. Maybe it'll help, maybe not, but the parts didn't cost much, so I'll give it a try.

I'll confirm when I get them, but I'm pretty sure these are the molex part numbers:

503149-0800 (cable part)
503154-0890 (socket part)

Reactions: Projeffrey11
I found the connector and ordered male/female ends and some soft silicon wire to make an extension. The HDMI cable wraps around enough that it probably doesn't transfer much vibrations, but the data cable is pretty short and really stiff. Maybe it'll help, maybe not, but the parts didn't cost much, so I'll give it a try.

I'll confirm when I get them, but I'm pretty sure these are the molex part numbers:

503149-0800 (cable part)
503154-0890 (socket part)
Where did you order from?

Any update ? I'm in the process of re-soldering a broken gimbal connector and curious if adding the additional flexible extension helped reduce vibration.

I'll try to fly it soon and report back. I've been so busy with work, life and other things, I haven't flown my Solo a single time this summer. Hasn't helped that it's been windy almost every single day.

So just an update on my cables. I made both a new HDMI cable with very thin, very flexible 34 or 36 gauge silicon wire, and a small 3 inch extension for the gimbal data cable out of very flexible 24 gauge silicon wire. When I compare the video I get now to what I got when I first flew my Solo stock, the difference is night and day.

Each change reduced the vibrations, but it was only the combination of all 3 - HDMI cable, data cable extension, and balancing the props, did the vibrations reduce to what I would call very minor - you can still see very slight vibrations, but you have to really look. Stock, the vibrations were obvious and very distracting.

I know some people seem to get buttery smooth video with the stock cables, but I wasn't, no matter how much I balanced the props. Here's a pic of my cables. The HDMI was pretty tedious to make, there's 19 wires plus a ground which I connected to shielding for everything but the last inch. If I wasn't a die-hard DIY'er, I'd have just bought the Relish ribbon cable. But the gimbal data extension should be do'able by almost anyone, it's only 8 wires. If people are interested, I'll dig up and post the part numbers for the male/female clips.

With the extension, I was able to rout it so it made a little coil - not putting any pressure in any direction, and the wire is so soft, virtually nothing would transfer. For balancing, I balanced the motors individually, then balanced the props, then balanced the props on the motors (being very careful, obviously). Once each prop was balanced to the motor, I indicated what motor it was installed on so I can always put them back. The balance would likely be off if each one was put on a different motor.

Anyway, I still stabilize most videos, but at least now it's just because I'm anal about it as opposed to it being an absolute necessity.

View media item 408

Reactions: RichWest
So just an update on my cables. I made both a new HDMI cable with very thin, very flexible 34 or 36 gauge silicon wire, and a small 3 inch extension for the gimbal data cable out of very flexible 24 gauge silicon wire...

If people are interested, I'll dig up and post the part numbers for the male/female clips...
Always interested in these DIY projects so would like to get a parts list and source if possible.

Sometimes I don't get a round-tuit immediately, but I save the info for later reference.

ETA: I see above, you've been using Mouser for connectors.

Always interested in these DIY projects so would like to get a parts list and source if possible.

Sometimes I don't get a round-tuit immediately, but I save the info for later reference.

ETA: I see above, you've been using Mouser for connectors.

Yep, here are links to the parts:

Housings (can't figure out which is male and which is female, but these are they)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMs%2bGHln7q6pm7hGlHXpAKcpgrcpFDrUPOE=
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...03cWg1PsC7o033WHpWHWQYz7EFmoRYl8%2booRRj6sQ==

And the crimp connectors:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...bGHln7q6pm5lMt7DE4wr9h7AGbYLqm5o54aBEboDEzA==

If you don't have it, you can pick up soft silicon wire from ebay in assorted colors a lot cheaper than you'll find it at Mouser or Digikey. Just look for high strand count, soft silicon wire.

Reactions: SARDG
Print this out and use as needed...:D
Round-Tuit.jpg

Reactions: SARDG
Print this out and use as needed...:D
Round-Tuit.jpg
I actually have one of those - but not only don't I get a Round Tuit, I can't even find my Round Tuit. Now that I have one again, I'm feeling a little better... thanks. :cool:

Reactions: bluesgeek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela