GoPro Hero NDVI and use with Pix4D

Reaction score
I am very interested in the possibility of using the 3DR Solo for small area mapping. I know 3DR worked closely with GoPro to get a good integrated system, and I know the Solo does receive good GPS and can retain a flight log. But why no ability to write GPS coords to image file headers? This is critical for any precision mapping (AKA using Pix4D Mapper). I have a Solo and can get some great GoPro Hero mods at IRPros.com (Lens conversions for IR and NDVI). Please, please advise?!

Thanks. The process outlines is straightforward, if not a bit cumbersome and lengthy. I use my iPad and the Solo app to fly, and am hoping for a Pix4D solution, or at least a simpler faster, fewer steps needed process. Any ideas?

From what I remember reading on github, they are working on implementing the tagging directly in solo in the image metadata.

Instead of waiting for a geotag solution so that you can load the images into Pix4d, just point the camera straight down and fly a course recording video. I am using 2.7K, 60 fps, medium FOV. Then use any frame grabber to get individual frames out of the video and try for a 20% overlap in your images. I am using Photoshop but you could do it with GoPro Studio, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, or Matlab. Then use the panorama feature of Photoshop, Matlab, Hugin, or other software that can do multi-row panoramas, and you will have your map. The map will be created using ground features in the overlap for alignment, instead of GPS coordinates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc