GOPRO HERO 5 support

Reaction score
Do you guys think 3DR will release a new gimbal for the hero 5 when it comes out? Personally i doubt it but it seems there are people in this forum that have a bit more knowledge in the area. Makes me wonder if I should sell my solo before it begins to devalue to quickly.

I think, this has been mentioned before, and I believe the response was the GoPro isn't expected to change sizes. But if it were to change sizes the chances of 3DR releasing a new gimbal are slim to none... at least for the GoPro, the may for their new Site Scan camera.

not having the features of the hero5 will not devalue your solo. even with the hero5 out the hero4 is still an excellent camera. i'll get a hero5, but i'll still fly my hero4 just as i still fly my hero3+.

that being said who knows if 3dr will make a gimbal for the 5.

Last edited:
Do you guys think 3DR will release a new gimbal for the hero 5 when it comes out? Personally i doubt it but it seems there are people in this forum that have a bit more knowledge in the area. Makes me wonder if I should sell my solo before it begins to devalue to quickly.
There already isn't that much value in a used Solo; you should probably just use it and enjoy it with a GP 3 or 4. I'm thinking consumer level R&D is over for 3dr. IF a third party GP 5 gimbal was ever produced (not likely IMO), the cost would likely shock you.

Runmor has it there is no bus connector on the back. So more than likely, the GP5 is not and never will attach to the current gimbal. And more than likely, there will not be a new gimbal produced by 3DR. They've clearly stated they're done with consumer products. And in fact it's looking like they're going to be done with hardware all together in the very near future. So the safest bet is to assume the solo is what it is today.

I think it's safe to say after seeing the release earlier today that the 5 will not fit the solo at all. As previous said there's no bus connector on the rear as there's a screen. Also the GP5 is a few mm larger in size to take into account the added mics and the touchscreen displays at the rear.

It's a shame they've done this as the RAW capabilities of the GP5 is much needed as a photographer. But i guess as a maker of a new drone on the market then you have to look at the competition and think to yourself 'do i want them using my new camera on a drone that is better than the Karma'

Also as a side note.....I wonder where GoPro got the idea for Cable Cam, Selfie Mode etc from ;)

Reactions: eclipseforever
I haven't been keeping up with news from 3DR very well. Just the general stuff that goes out in emails. So they aren't committed to consumer products anymore? After a single iteration of a mass produced consumer drone...?!?!

Are they really only looking to produce stuff for engineering/construction/surveying or something?

If so, then yeah, I wouldn't expect a GoPro5 gimbal for Solo.

I think it's safe to say after seeing the release earlier today that the 5 will not fit the solo at all...
Reading on the GP website, they claim the Karma gimbal is compatible with the GP4B & S. That may likely mean that there is a way to fit it in, but nothing else. Lot's of unanswered questions, but that would make sense IF the GP5 was a little larger than GP4.

Hero 5 won't be supported...

(04:08:45) 3DR: Hello, thank you for contacting 3DR Customer Support Chat
(04:09:31) 3DR: Hi Austin, we will not be developing a new gimbal for the gopro 5
(04:09:42) 3DR: so it wont be supported
(04:10:30) ME: Awesome...
(04:12:11) 3DR: we are sorry for the inconvenience
(04:12:21) 3DR: Is there anything else I can assist you with at this moment?
(04:12:33) ME: Any particular reason?
(04:14:53) 3DR: 3DR is no longer focused on the consumer market , now we are focusing on the enterprise market
(04:16:22) ME: So basically my purchase 3 months ago was for a lost cause...
(04:17:00) ME: are you guys going to support the solo at all? repair tech issues?
(04:17:22) 3DR: The Solo comes with a one year warranty , you will be covered for that whole year
(04:18:04) ME: when was the decision made to no longer focus on the solo?
(04:20:59) 3DR: At the beginning of the year with the release of Site Scan
(04:22:12) ME: Was is ever mentioned publicly that Solo was no longer going to be supported?
(04:23:47) 3DR: We never said that the Solo was not going to be supported , each Solo that we sell has a one year warranty after that if you need repairs we ahve an authorized repair center with spare parts
(04:33:04) 3DR: Im really sorry you feel that way, unfortunately there is nothing we can do in order to have the new gopro work with the Solo

A sad confirmation, but thanks for posting.

I guess the Solo simply didn't sell like they'd hoped, yeah? The download count on GooglePlay always seemed low.

I'm particularly bummed as I finally pulled the trigger 3 months ago and just a few weeks ago my gopros we're stolen so I'm in the market to replace them and I'm stuck with a drone that uses a solid camera no doubt but a camera that it is now "old tech"...

anyone who bought a Solo since spring and didn't know 3DR has left consumer space only have themselves to blame.

A product doesn't magically slash prices by 50% overnight and sustain at that price for months. There's almost always a reason.

Reactions: SARDG
how is solo not supporting the hero5 make your solo a lost cause? so on october 2nd your smart shots stop working? the hero5 is a marginal update to the hero4 and when you talk about it in a gimbal, the new features are nil.

dude go enjoy your solo, learn it, master it. it sounds like you are only using about 25% of its capability anyways.

Reactions: SARDG
Whether or not 3DR supports H5 (or vice versa perhaps its GoPro no longer supporting Solo), all we really need is a way to attach and power the new H5 gimbal. It sells seperately for $250. Anyone know how much it weighs or the power requirements?

http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/karma-stabilizer/AGMBL-001.html

But before we get ahead of ourselves, first we should find out if H5 is really a better camera than H4. It seem to me their focus was elsewhere. People might look back at H4 the way people are looking at iPhones. Sure its "old tech" now but it has the ports we need. Will the footage be better enough to put H4 users at a real disadvantage? I doubt it.

Whether or not 3DR supports H5 (or vice versa perhaps its GoPro no longer supporting Solo), all we really need is a way to attach and power the new H5 gimbal. It sells seperately for $250. Anyone know how much it weighs or the power requirements?

I thought it listed for $299 with the grip, and that grip has rechargeable batteries in it. There is also a GP mount that fits the grip, and that GP Grip mount would fit the fixed Solo mount. All that is likely within the payload limits of Solo. That doesn't answer control questions for the gimbal and camera.

I guess you're right and I don't really plan on ditching my solo to winds, but I've followed 3DR for sometime now and I definitely have not seen anything from them saying they're out of the consumer business but nbd.

I guess you're right and I don't really plan on ditching my solo to winds, but I've followed 3DR for sometime now and I definitely have not seen anything from them saying they're out of the consumer business but nbd.
I joined this forum on 4 JUL 2016, but did some serious lurking here long before that - and some other research that was easily Googled. The writing was on the wall for 3DR's direction before I bought my 1st Solo in the middle of June.

Product forums (for any product) are a good way to get insight from actual users of said product. And after you read any given forum for a week or less, you can tell which posters have the product savvy, and which do not.

how is solo not supporting the hero5 make your solo a lost cause? so on october 2nd your smart shots stop working? the hero5 is a marginal update to the hero4 and when you talk about it in a gimbal, the new features are nil.

dude go enjoy your solo, learn it, master it. it sounds like you are only using about 25% of its capability anyways.

The "lost cause" isn't the end of the world as you seem to have taken it, but one of, if not the only reason I chose the solo over a dji was the fact that "as GoPro gets better Solo gets better" and now that they aren't supporting H5 Solo doesn't get better. Also I chose the Solo because I already had and used my H4 for a variety of shots. Now that H5 is out and albeit only incrementally (RAW) better in a few areas I feel those upgrades are worth it since I'm starting fresh due to the stolen gopros...

If we could figure out a way to run the new gimbal like TaylorR137 mentions below I'll be pumped.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, first we should find out if H5 is really a better camera than H4. It seem to me their focus was elsewhere. People might look back at H4 the way people are looking at iPhones. Sure its "old tech" now but it has the ports we need. Will the footage be better enough to put H4 users at a real disadvantage? I doubt it.

I actually really like my Solo and will probably end up with a H4 and a H5, heck I should have enough money from the insurance to cover something like the PeauPro82 just for my Solo and then run a H5 for everything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc