Gopro Hero 5/6/7 control with Solo

Reaction score
Update: new version including battery monitoring, multiple Gopro support, and more.

For all who want to use the newer Gopro models with their Solo and control it with Solex. Works with OpenSolo as well as with the stock setup and all Arducopter versions.
All the Gopro functions to the extent they are implemented in Solex are available.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For full instructions see here:
GoPro Hero 5/6/7 Black Control with 3DR Solo - Hackster.io

Last edited:
How is interference and flight distance? I'm always worried about putting extra wifi noise around the bird....

How is interference and flight distance? I'm always worried about putting extra wifi noise around the bird....
I never fly beyond LOS and I could not see any difference in behavior nor I experienced any issues.
Nevertheless I invested a bit in proper shielding of the GPS and main board to be on the safe side. See the description on github.

It looks like KonradIT's work includes the ability to query status of the camera. Is there something I'm missing that would prevent getting the status so it isn't necesarry to have the GP set up according to gopromanagers assumptions?

...Or is it just a 'so many hours in the day' thing ? [which I totally understand as I have been moving glacially on my own project....]

Also, if you can get me high-contrast pictures of the gopro with a measuring tape in the frame I can maybe see about knocking up a model of an adapter for printing.

The command:
http://10.5.5.9/gp/gpControl/status
returns a json object which contains all gopro parameters. I simply haven’t found a way yet to transfer the content to the IMX due to the pymata string limitations.
People who are smarter developers than me might have an answer.

Also, if you can get me high-contrast pictures of the gopro with a measuring tape in the frame I can maybe see about knocking up a model of an adapter for printing.
Thanks. Yes it would be possible physically to fit the newer gopro models into the 3DR gimbal, but since the Hero 7 is significantly heavier than the Hero 4 I am concerned about gimbal overload.
A tarot gimbal attached to Solo as described by some others in this forum would be for sure a good alternative.

Thanks. Yes it would be possible physically to fit the newer gopro models into the 3DR gimbal, but since the Hero 7 is significantly heavier than the Hero 4 I am concerned about gimbal overload.
A tarot gimbal attached to Solo as described by some others in this forum would be for sure a good alternative.
You'd need to rebalance. Properly rebalanced I shouldn't think you'd need to worry about the motors overloading....but just my .02

Reactions: skyhax
The command:
http://10.5.5.9/gp/gpControl/status
returns a json object which contains all gopro parameters. I simply haven’t found a way yet to transfer the content to the IMX due to the pymata string limitations.
People who are smarter developers than me might have an answer.
Hmm. A quick search reveals pymata_aio that includes built-in JSON parsing. Wondering if this might allow you to parse and send along...?

Hmm. A quick search reveals pymata_aio that includes built-in JSON parsing. Wondering if this might allow you to parse and send along...?
I am using pymata 2.1. Pymata-aio requires Python 3.5 and therefore doesn’t install on Solo. Solo is running on Python 2.7.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
You'd need to rebalance. Properly rebalanced I shouldn't think you'd need to worry about the motors overloading....but just my .02
While the Gopro Hero 5/6/7 world physically fit into the Gimbal, the HDMI connector doesn’t.
You would have to significantly rework the original plug to make it fit.
90B5D726-1459-44AC-B466-22DA70538102.jpeg

I am using pymata 2.1. Pymata-aio requires Python 3.5 and therefore doesn’t install on Solo. Solo is running on Python 2.7.
Ah. Of course.

This is what comes of me flailing about the internet in the wee hours.

It is such an interesting project though that I'm gonna put some more thought into how to get the status thing solved....

Just wondering..... what about "import json" and then using json.load? Or does Solo's version of python not include the json module?

While the Gopro Hero 5/6/7 world physically fit into the Gimbal, the HDMI connector doesn’t.
You would have to significantly rework the original plug to make it fit.
View attachment 9646
Copy that. There do exist short extensions, but I can also see just designing a new gimbal rather than adapting and adapting and adapting.

Just wondering..... what about "import json" and then using json.load? Or does Solo's version of python not include the json module?
The parsing is not the issue. Problem is to get the ~1Kbyte Json object from the Arduino to the IMX.
If you have a solution for this it would be great if you add a PR.

OH. I understand now. My bad. Will work and submit anything I come up with.

OH. I understand now. My bad. Will work and submit anything I come up with.
Any progress on your side?
I am about to publish an enhanced version soon and would be happy to add anything you came up with.

Any progress on your side?
I am about to publish an enhanced version soon and would be happy to add anything you came up with.
Just had a look @fpvsteve. Nice work.

If I can get my hands on the relevant cameras I will prototype a gimbal to fit them.

Extending Solos lifetime bit by bit

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc