GoPro HDMI failure?

Reaction score
I have only flown my solo 5-6 times. Noticed the video feed starting to intermittently disconnect and connect. So I unplugged the HDMI cord and reconnect only to discover the female socket had broken and was now inside the camera rattling around? Tried my other GoPro hero3 black and discovered it was loose and had a bad connection also. So much so it can't be used. I think the cable on the solo is very stiff and hopefully it wont be used on the new Gimbal? Anyone else have this problem? If it hasn't happened yet. Be careful cause I'm sure it will!

Last edited:
I have only flown my solo 5-6 times. Noticed the video feed starting to intermittently disconnect and connect. So I unplugged the HDMI cord and reconnect only to discover the female socket had broken and was now inside the camera rattling around? Tried my other GoPro hero3 black and discovered it was loose and had a bad connection also. So much so it can't be used. I think the cable on the solo is very stiff and hopefully it wont be used on the new Gimbal? Anyone else have this problem? If it hasn't happened yet. Be careful cause I'm sure it will!

I had the same problem with my Hero3 Silver. I had the HDMI socket get broken off in the camera. I called GoPro and they do not cover it unless it is one year or less from purchase date. I had to foot for a new one. I got the extended warranty this time. I learned a lesson!!

My HDMI port broke off and fell into my Hero 3+ Black in the exact same manner a few days ago, the last time I flew. However, I have to take responsibility for it, as I made the mistake of trying to turn off the camera's WiFI while it was in the Solo mount. I had turned WiFi on to use the GoPro app to change some camera settings prior to flight, then forgot to turn it off before mounting the camera in the Solo. While pressing on the button on the side of the Hero, I inadvertently was pressing on the top of the HDMI cable connector on the other side..... not on the side of the camera itself. I pressed fairly hard I guess, as I felt and heard a "click" as the HDMI port broke off its mount inside the camera.

I was able to carefully remove the broken socket with a tweezers when I got home, and everything on the GoPro still works perfectly... except the HDMI port of course. I have a Hero 4+ Silver arriving tomorrow (thank you Amazon Prime). Expensive lesson learned.

WoW No one reads these posts or searches them till after they have a problem ..........I wrote about this 2 months ago .....forget about your hero 3 + black unless your a very, very good at soldering with a microscope (digital) and even that you need to make sure...and believe me ...on your PCB board at least 2 or 5 pads are ripped off ... putting pads back on are hard to do ..never mind soldering micro hdmi back onto board... I have done it and like I have said good luck...each pad is as thick as a Hypo needle....there is 19 pads all together in a 1/4 inch area ...BUT good news with gimbal you don't need hdmi you need usb input...

Reactions: Kenwes2336
Once I saw those microscopic pins, I didn't even consider trying to repair it. I knew it was toast, cursed myself several times, and ordered the Silver. lol We won't need the HDMI port with the gimbal? I expected that we might need BOTH inputs, not just the USB.

Once I saw those microscopic pins, I didn't even consider trying to repair it. I knew it was toast, cursed myself several times, and ordered the Silver. lol We won't need the HDMI port with the gimbal? I expected that we might need BOTH inputs, not just the USB.
was not easy to solder.

Well the way I see it. With so many people having this happen. There is a flaw someplace? This should not be happing! But as sad as I am hear it's happend to others. It's nice to know it wasn't nessaraly my fault. I think the solo HDMI cord is just to thick and stiff? It should of been more like IPhone charge cable with lots of flex to it. My Gopro hero3+ is less then a year. The other camera in question is out of warranty :( Has anyone tried to contact 3DR? Maybe it's time they do something about the problem????

Happened to me also, a 3+silver, fortunately it was covered by the 1 year warranty. The cable is indeed too stiff. Both 3DR and GoPro should have consulted on the application. I'll wager the GoPro drone will not have this problem.

In talks with Gopro regarding at least replacing one of my cameras. I got a feeling this gonna take longer then waiting for a solo Gimbal. Lol.

Wish me luck.

Still waiting for Gopro to respond? We had a brief phone conversation and I answered a few questions via email. Also sent a few photos of as requested of the Drone and Gopro. Gopro asked me: What Brand of Drone was it used with? Did it crash? How many times has it been connected to the Drone? So hopefully they will warranty the camera. Does anyone know if they can even replace a Hero3+? Or would I be upgraded to the New Hero4?

Since there appears to be a lot of failures like this due to the stiff HDMI cable GP may not honor any more claims, even within the warranty period. If you're lucky you'll get a refurbished 3 not a 4. This should be on 3DR's dime.

Still waiting for Gopro to respond? We had a brief phone conversation and I answered a few questions via email. Also sent a few photos of as requested of the Drone and Gopro. Gopro asked me: What Brand of Drone was it used with? Did it crash? How many times has it been connected to the Drone? So hopefully they will warranty the camera. Does anyone know if they can even replace a Hero3+? Or would I be upgraded to the New Hero4?
Last time .GP said they would give $50 off a new one. Hardy a discount.

Wanted to Give a update. Gopro has agreed to give me a replacement camera under the 1 year warranty. As for the 2nd camera. It is just outside of a year old so I was told I could get a 20% discount towards a replacement camera of my choice. However I'd have to return the damaged camera. I opted to keep the damaged camera and do without the HDMI port functionality of it. I may sell it on eBay or locally when the time comes for an upgrade.

My problem with my Solo is that the HDMI cable itself has some loose pins inside the housing My GoPro works great on my TV (3DR asked me to test my GoPro and the only way I thought was to purchase a HDMI micro to standard and plug it into my TV) 3DR is sending me a replacement cable as we speak -text.

As I said on another thread, I have not once been able to get 'live view' to work. Went through every step a person can go through up to taking the Solo apart with 3DR's direction and checking under the circuit board to make sure the HDMI cable was connected. To their credit, 3DR sent me a new Solo and I mailed them back the one that wouldn't work. Problem is, I just got the new one and same problem.....no live view! Ugh.

As I said on another thread, I have not once been able to get 'live view' to work. Went through every step a person can go through up to taking the Solo apart with 3DR's direction and checking under the circuit board to make sure the HDMI cable was connected. To their credit, 3DR sent me a new Solo and I mailed them back the one that wouldn't work. Problem is, I just got the new one and same problem.....no live view! Ugh.
Check your HDMI on the gopro using your Tv? I'd bet it's the gopro. :(

Check your HDMI on the gopro using your Tv? I'd bet it's the gopro. :(
I tried it's fine! I also tried my Hero3+ and just to be sure I tried my Hero session surf - no video. The cord has 3 little prongs out of place in it's housing.

Same Here I took it apart. I did find 3 little prongs out of place in the housing that plugs into the GoPro, A person has to use a magnifying glass to see them I'm gonna try and take a picture and post it.

It's not the GoPro, the GoPro works fine plugged into any TV via mini HDMI to HDMI port.
It's frustrating to have this occur on the Solo I got to replace the Solo that wouldn't give me
live view. Never have even seen a glimpse of anything other than black on my phone....ugh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000