GoPro Control in App with Gimbal?

Reaction score
I have a GoPro Hero 3+ that I'm using with the solo. I have 2 separate issues and am hoping that they're not related.

1. With "Save to Camera Roll" turned on, nothing is saved to the GoPro itself. I've been told that I need to manually hit record on the GoPro before putting it into the gimbal, but that seems really counter-intuitive and like an easy way to break something if I'm constantly plugging and unplugging the GoPro just to hit the record button. Is that really the case and is that intentional? If so, do they plan on offering an update that will let you control the GoPro directly from the app?

2. If I go into the Solo settings in the app and choose "Hero 3+" as the model for the GoPro, the GoPro shuts off completely. If I manually turn it back on, I'll get a glimpse of the live feed and then it shuts down again. I can't keep it on unless I choose "Other" as the model of GoPro. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!!

Also are you in PAL land. Current firmware with GoPro control works for NTSC only. Not PAL (not yet anyways).

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ that I'm using with the solo. I have 2 separate issues and am hoping that they're not related.

1. With "Save to Camera Roll" turned on, nothing is saved to the GoPro itself. I've been told that I need to manually hit record on the GoPro before putting it into the gimbal, but that seems really counter-intuitive and like an easy way to break something if I'm constantly plugging and unplugging the GoPro just to hit the record button. Is that really the case and is that intentional? If so, do they plan on offering an update that will let you control the GoPro directly from the app?

2. If I go into the Solo settings in the app and choose "Hero 3+" as the model for the GoPro, the GoPro shuts off completely. If I manually turn it back on, I'll get a glimpse of the live feed and then it shuts down again. I can't keep it on unless I choose "Other" as the model of GoPro. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!!
Leave the GoPro in the gimbal and turn it on with the button on front of the GoPro- no need to take it out just to turn it on.

Do you have the 3+ black? If not select "other".

Leave the GoPro in the gimbal and turn it on with the button on front of the GoPro- no need to take it out just to turn it on.

Do you have the 3+ black? If not select "other".

I have the 3+ Silver. I have been leaving it on "Other" but still am not getting any footage saved to the GoPro itself. My understanding is that it should record to the GoPro and, if I have the "Save to Camera Roll" option turned on for the app that I should get a lower-quality preview saved to the camera roll.

Also, I'm not talking about taking it out just to turn it on. I meant to start video recording. Others have suggested hitting the record button on the GoPro itself and then starting the flight but the button is on top of the camera. It's not possible to start recording once the camera is in the gimbal because the button is covered. If it worked to start recording from the app, that'd be great, but it doesn't. I just get the "Camera Roll" version of the footage (and even then sometimes I don't get that).

Reactions: nexxypoo
Ahhh- now I get it.

You're right about saving to roll- that only saves to your device. If you are recording it should always be on the GoPro.
Back to basics- does the GoPro record when not in the gimbal?
If so, when in the gimbal, can you start recording using the record button on the Solo app screen or by pushing in on the gimbal lever on the top left corner of Solo controller?

Is there an SD card in the GoPro?

If you can, is the red "record" light on GoPro lit? If it's not, then I can see why the GoPro isn't recording.

Is the led on back of the gimbal red or green?

Last edited:
Is "Save to Camera Roll" an iOS thing? I dont see it on my app...

Derek
I have the 3+ Silver. I have been leaving it on "Other" but still am not getting any footage saved to the GoPro itself. My understanding is that it should record to the GoPro and, if I have the "Save to Camera Roll" option turned on for the app that I should get a lower-quality preview saved to the camera roll.

Also, I'm not talking about taking it out just to turn it on. I meant to start video recording. Others have suggested hitting the record button on the GoPro itself and then starting the flight but the button is on top of the camera. It's not possible to start recording once the camera is in the gimbal because the button is covered. If it worked to start recording from the app, that'd be great, but it doesn't. I just get the "Camera Roll" version of the footage (and even then sometimes I don't get that).

I am seeing the same issue as you Derek. I am using a 3+ Silver and when I use the Save to Camera Roll option it does save to my iPhone. But when I turn the option off it does not save to my GoPro as I would expect.

I believe the Solo app allows some control of some GoPro settings but I have not seen a function to initiate the record option. My question is if the 3+ silver has limited capabilities and doesn't have the API available to initiate a remote record action.

Ahhh- now I get it.

You're right about saving to roll- that only saves to your device. If you are recording it should always be on the GoPro.
Back to basics- does the GoPro record when not in the gimbal?
If so, when in the gimbal, can you start recording using the record button on the Solo app screen or by pushing in on the gimbal lever on the top left corner of Solo controller?

Is there an SD card in the GoPro?

If you can, is the red "record" light on GoPro lit? If it's not, then I can see why the GoPro isn't recording.

Is the led on back of the gimbal red or green?

Sorry for the delay. In order, the answers to your questions:

1. Yes. The GoPro functions normally by all accounts when not in the gimbal.
2. I can start recording on the Solo app by pressing the record button but it doesn't show me that the GoPro is responding. The little GoPro-looking icon is "greyed out". Despite this, the footage does save to my camera roll. It just doesn't save to the GoPro's card.
3. Yes, there is an SD card in there and it's empty except for 1 test video that I filmed manually. There should be plenty of space for video, though.
4 and 5. I would have to check both of these on the next flight out. If I remember correctly, the GoPro's light is on (and the blue wireless light is off).

Derek

I am seeing the same issue as you Derek. I am using a 3+ Silver and when I use the Save to Camera Roll option it does save to my iPhone. But when I turn the option off it does not save to my GoPro as I would expect.

I believe the Solo app allows some control of some GoPro settings but I have not seen a function to initiate the record option. My question is if the 3+ silver has limited capabilities and doesn't have the API available to initiate a remote record action.

I thought that too but now can't imagine that being the case as we have other devices that the GoPro snaps into that *do* allow for remote record actions. In addition to that, the GoPro app has a choice for a Hero 3+ and it has all kinds of options. I can't get it to work, but the options are there.

Sorry for the delay. In order, the answers to your questions:

1. Yes. The GoPro functions normally by all accounts when not in the gimbal.
2. I can start recording on the Solo app by pressing the record button but it doesn't show me that the GoPro is responding. The little GoPro-looking icon is "greyed out". Despite this, the footage does save to my camera roll. It just doesn't save to the GoPro's card.
3. Yes, there is an SD card in there and it's empty except for 1 test video that I filmed manually. There should be plenty of space for video, though.
4 and 5. I would have to check both of these on the next flight out. If I remember correctly, the GoPro's light is on (and the blue wireless light is off).
You can check 4&5 while on the ground.:)

You can check 4&5 while on the ground.:)
Of course... I just don't have access to the drone, at the moment, and won't have it in my possession again until my next project for work, that's all. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea