GoPro connection issue

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been flying for a while getting practice, but still new with the setup and operating the camera and video. For some reason, I cannot get my GoPro (Black Hero 4) to connect. The only way I can record video is to start the recording, then insert the GP into the gimble. I thought I could control the recording through the remote with the camera tilt function.
Also, is there a way to zoom in with the GP? I've been through the FAQ and other threads, but nothing seems to help with my issue.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

PS I've been through the steps to properly startup. I'm trying to make sure the GP has latest firmware, but my computer recognizes it for a couple seconds then just shows its charging is all. I've read through the other threads about the red button, which mine is gray, they phone icon has a slash across it, the picture icon above the record button has a slash, and when I go into camera settings, it it all grayed out except GoPro Model, Save to Camera Roll, and Record during shots is all active.

GP firmware 3.00 is the one you need. The things you describe are the same i notice the first time i put my new gopro 4 black on the gimbal. It has firmware 2.00. Upgraded to 3.00, problems gone!

Thank you for the information. I did a firmware update, but i'll have to check to make sure it is at 3.00. I know it still will not connect to my computer using the USB cable, but will using a micro SD card reader. Believe there's a thread on how to reformat the MicroSD or to get a new one.

Thank you for the information. I did a firmware update, but i'll have to check to make sure it is at 3.00. I know it still will not connect to my computer using the USB cable, but will using a micro SD card reader. Believe there's a thread on how to reformat the MicroSD or to get a new one.
I learned this the hard way- when you buy the GoPro it comes with a relatively short USB cable which is the ONLY cable that will connect it to your computer. Other USB cables will not work.

If you are using the correct cable and can't connect to your PC, then either the cable or your GoPro is defective. In that case I would contact GoPro support. I have had good experience with their chat service.

Also, GoPro's do not have any zoom capability. Have you read the GoPro manual, lol?:)

You can kind of fake zoom though by recording in 4k and zooming into a 1920x1080 area in post without any quality loss if you are outputting 1080p. Effectively a 4x zoom? Even more if you go down to 720p.

Reactions: Maddog
You can kind of fake zoom though by recording in 4k and zooming into a 1920x1080 area in post without any quality loss if you are outputting 1080p. Effectively a 4x zoom? Even more if you go down to 720p.
Thanks Steve- I wasn't aware of that!

I update mine via the sdcard. I still have no control. It must be the hero 3+ silver.

I learned this the hard way- when you buy the GoPro it comes with a relatively short USB cable which is the ONLY cable that will connect it to your computer. Other USB cables will not work.

USB cable, many are thin wires. GoPro cable is not only short for less resistance, it is quite thick. Hence it is very stiff.
USB 2.0 connector on a PC or Laptop, its life is approx 1,000 to 1,500 insertion/removal cycle. The one on GoPro camera, that small mini-B USB can do better at near 5,000 cylce, and so is the micro USB like found on SESSION or Hero+ LCD. I have worn out 3 of my USB ports on my PC front side because I use them so often. The best USB ports are the rear ones on PC, which means it is motheboard direct, no long thin wires like those needed to connect to USB ports of the front side of the PC. Bad or worn out gold plating on the USB ports in PC or Laptop is common. What I do is, i now on my PCs, I permanently install USB cable on the USB ports. Mini-B and micro ones. 2 of each.
So the worn out USB ports will be the camera side. Anyhow I do not like connecting my GoPro to PC direct, GoPro is a USB2.0 speed, its too slow. USB3.0 card reader is the way to go. I place permanently also 2 of USB3.0 card reader on my PC-s too. I never do any GoPro update firmware download using GP camera as the card reader, I use stand alone card reader.

Another problem for those who do not really Turn OFF a PC but only sleep it (like me ), you sometime get USB address clash. A certain USB port get stuck to 1 particular device. When we turn OFF our PC, all these address get deleted and all start new.

USB cable, many are thin wires. GoPro cable is not only short for less resistance, it is quite thick. Hence it is very stiff.
USB 2.0 connector on a PC or Laptop, its life is approx 1,000 to 1,500 insertion/removal cycle. The one on GoPro camera, that small mini-B USB can do better at near 5,000 cylce, and so is the micro USB like found on SESSION or Hero+ LCD. I have worn out 3 of my USB ports on my PC front side because I use them so often. The best USB ports are the rear ones on PC, which means it is motheboard direct, no long thin wires like those needed to connect to USB ports of the front side of the PC. Bad or worn out gold plating on the USB ports in PC or Laptop is common. What I do is, i now on my PCs, I permanently install USB cable on the USB ports. Mini-B and micro ones. 2 of each.
So the worn out USB ports will be the camera side. Anyhow I do not like connecting my GoPro to PC direct, GoPro is a USB2.0 speed, its too slow. USB3.0 card reader is the way to go. I place permanently also 2 of USB3.0 card reader on my PC-s too. I never do any GoPro update firmware download using GP camera as the card reader, I use stand alone card reader.

Another problem for those who do not really Turn OFF a PC but only sleep it (like me ), you sometime get USB address clash. A certain USB port get stuck to 1 particular device. When we turn OFF our PC, all these address get deleted and all start new.
I always download my GoPro videos by taking the card out of the camera and using a PC Card reader- much faster that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea