Gopro 4 Black Overheating when installed on Gimble/Solo

Reaction score
Hello
I just bought a new Hero 4 black ( upgraded from Hero 3+Black)
It was still in box sealed.The guy had it for a while unopened so the firmware is V2.0
It got very hot and froze last night when I connected it to Solo/Gimbal :( I took it off and removed the battery and it soon cooled down . Camera seems to be working ok.
Would the V.2 firmware cause the battery/camera to overheat when its on the gimble and powered up?
Also, no camera settings /controls seem to be available on the controller, to tablet, presumably due to the V2.0 being installed? Good picture though from camera back to tablet.
From reading posts on here it seems that the best firmware for Hero 4 Black control is V3.0?

Should I try to find this and upgrade the go pro ? Or should I upgrade the firmware to the latest version V5.0?
I would like to have as much control of the camera as possible from my controller, however Im not fussed about having to turn it on and off manually before and after flight

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Bill

From reading posts on here it seems that the best firmware for Hero 4 Black control is V3.0?
Yes you need to upgrade the GP FW to at least 3.0x for Solo to control the camera. You may prefer FW 5.0, but you could always downgrade if not...

If the heating persist thereafter, post back. Could be as simple as the micro SD card choice.

Again most questions have been answered here on the forum at some time over the last few years.

I just got my GPB4 with Sandisk 64GB Extreme card about a week ago. I had it in the gimbal, everything powered up, sitting on the shelf, and was just playing with the settings trying to figure things out. After 15 or 20 minutes of this, it started powering down due to overheating. When it sits in the gimbal housing here is no air getting to the rear, sides, top & bottom of the camera, so I expect that is the issue. When flying, shouldn't be an issue. The manual mentions the overheating safeguard.
GoPro overheat icon.jpg

Concerning the firmware. I am running v5.0 and as mentioned, the only thing I have notice is hat you do have to powered the camera up manually before flight. However, it does powered down when you power down the battery of Solo. All controls in Sidepilot seem to work fine.

Thanks very much for replying guys
I realised that I hadnt formatted the sd card when I took it from my Hero 3+ and put it into the H4 black.
Im about to try it now and see if it gets hot again.

So Allen_993, Are you saying that you get every camera control on the Solo controller with V5.0 except maybe the on/off function?

Bill

Thanks very much for replying guys
I realised that I hadnt formatted the sd card when I took it from my Hero 3+ and put it into the H4 black.
Im about to try it now and see if it gets hot again.

So Allen_993, Are you saying that you get every camera control on the Solo controller with V5.0 except maybe the on/off function?

Bill
Yes, you get all the same functions.

No...I am not saying that. I have only recorded 2 flight videos so far, and all I've done is turn ON before flight, record start/stop in flight, camera powers down when solo powered down. I set all camera settings before I take off, so the only thing I really need to do in flight is turn recording ON/OFF...not sure what other camera functions you would use during flight. You may very well get all functions, I just haven't tried.

Ok thanks.
As far as Im aware you should be able to set the cameras EV, Resolution, shutter speed etc from the tablet plus record button should be red for on and off. Mines grey and I have no other available camera functions that I can see
Sorry If I confused things, Im not suggesting theses settings get altered in flight, just handy to do it from the tablet on the Solex app

Camera has now had SD card formatted and has been sitting connected to gamble/Solo for 35 mins ( 15mins of that outside in -2)
The body of the camera is defenatly a bit warm but nothing like the first time.
The camera has frozen again though, I cant switch it off or record its just sitting there

Next thing is possibly a firmware upgrade, and as long as I can get to control the above settings from the Solex app I'll probably go for the V5.0

Unless anyone else has any info ?

Bill

Ok Guys Im a happy bunny! :)

SD Card format and Gopro Hero 4 Black firmware upgrade to V5.0
No overheating issues now :)
Everything working on camera as id hoped.
I can alter camera settings and record on and off just as I had wished for, Im well pleased (Cant seem to find the ability to turn camera on/off from app/Tablet/Solex, but Im not bothered about that)
Just been out in minus 3 and got some great shots using cable cam etc with Solex...

Thanks to all for the help and happy xmas to all when it comes :)

Bill :)

Reactions: Maddog
Good to know Bill, thanks for posting your solution!
Firmware V5.0 will require you to manually start the GoPro after placing it in gimbal before takeoff and off after landing.

Scotland is beautiful- post some vids when you can.:)

Heres a pic taken from my first drone video edit. the video is too large to attach here so Ill need to work out how to reduce the size for posting

Bill

Attachments

• Glen Turret Dam 1217.jpg
    Glen Turret Dam 1217.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Wow-that's beautiful! Where is it?
Most people post their videos on YouTube or Vimeo and then put a link here for people to see it.

I don't know how or if you can get the file size small enough to simply post here.

Wow-that's beautiful! Where is it?
Most people post their videos on YouTube or Vimeo and then put a link here for people to see it.

I don't know how or if you can get the file size small enough to simply post here.
Its near Crieff in Perthshire, where Ewan McGregor comes from

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986