GoPro 4 black and bitrate question for those that use Premiere

Reaction score
I normally shoot in 1080p for customers and myself, since it all ends up on the web. But I had to fly a job on Friday that needed to be in 4k. The video came out great. I am running most of the footage through Photoshop Elements to remove lens distortion and run shake reduction. When I do the final export from Elements, I select 4k Ultra HD. Quality is selectable - low, med, high. This is the bitrate. The file gets stupid big at high, way bigger than the original footage. Low is too low - it will actually reduces the file size from the original footage. Mid range is 100mbps, still higher than the GoPro original, once again a bigger file.

What settings should I use? From what I have read, it appears that ProTune ups the bitrate. I did shoot all the footage with ProTune on. Do I need to do a custom export and match exactly what the GoPro shot the original footage in?

I'm afraid I will lose quality in my footage if I do this wrong. And I don't see any reason to make the file bigger than the original, which means Elements is adding something (not sure what?) to the video.

if you are exporting at a higher bitrate the files will be bigger
if it is for youtube use the youtube settings in elements
I rarely use elements for 4K or for final output of anything. I have it on my surface for rough field edts, but output is done from home and premier pro

if you are exporting at a higher bitrate the files will be bigger
if it is for youtube use the youtube settings in elements
I rarely use elements for 4K or for final output of anything. I have it on my surface for rough field edts, but output is done from home and premier pro

Oops, my bad, I meant Premiere Elements, not Photoshop.
Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro are the same platform. I don't have as many of the goodies turned on - they are greyed out for me.

The video is NOT for youtube. I wouldn't even bother with 4k if it was youtube.

Ok, so in Premier Pro, what bitrate do you set it? The GoPro specs says its 60mbps. If the file gets bigger when I set the bitrate higher, then I must be introducing "something" into the file that wasn't there to begin with.

that depends on a lot of things, but mostly the codec you choose when you output
Gopro has an amazing compression rate. but that comes at a price.
I always mix gopro footage with that shot on other cameras. I render for H264 with high quality as a standard.

I did some testing on my own this morning. I set up a custom profile for my GoPro 4B in Premiere. I matched the bit rate of the original file at 60mbps for 4K with ProTune on (turning it off drops the bit rate). My finished video matches the bit rate of my original video, and it turned out much smoother, none of the jumpiness I saw when I rendered it with a higher bit rate. Plus it kept the file size the same. I still don't know why Premiere would even recommend setting the rendered bit rate higher, perhaps someone can shed light on that, but right now I am happy with the results and thought I would post what I learned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl