GoPro 3 stops recording after takeoff

Reaction score
For the moment I am using my GoPro 3 (not +) with my solo/gimbal. It has been working ok other than having to start the recording either with the GoPro remote or manually starting the video recording then taking off. I have a GoPro 4 black ordered to fix that issue. Yesterday I started having a problem where as soon as my solo lifted off the ground, the record light would stop on the camera. This happened several times. I would put it back on the ground in disarm mode, press the GoPro record button on the camera and verify the video was recording and red light blinking. Then again, immediately after liftoff, the recording stops and red light goes out. Anyone had this happen and I'm wondering if it's an unsupported GoPro 3 glitch?

Just a wild guess, do you have your Solo app set to start recording in flight automatically? Solo might be trying to start a recording and actually be stopping it ...

Just a wild guess, do you have your Solo app set to start recording in flight automatically? Solo might be trying to start a recording and actually be stopping it ...
Since it's just a Gopro 3, I can't give it start/stop commands from the app and I don't think it'll do the auto start either. The video stopping problem went away after I changed the fps setting from 48 to 30 and/or 60 fps. I read where 48 fps dosen't play well sometimes when streaming video to other devices. I should have my Hero 4 arriving this week.

i had the same problem with my hero 4 silver when I was using it manually (before the iOS app was updated.) It seemed like the only way i could get it to keep recording was if i hit record after the propellers started and took off before they timed out. Not the safest solution, obviously.

Also every video would be corrupted when it came back and have to be "fixed" by the GoPro but that worked 90% of the time.

Another thing I'll mention for the benefit of any beginners who might be reading this is be sure not to attempt a flight while connected to the GoPros wifi on your phone/tablet (or even with the GoPro wifi turned on, for that matter). As soon as the Solo takes the camera out of range it will most likely cause chaos. In my case it caused the Solo to start ascending very rapidly wirh no end in sight until I regained manual control via the "Fly" button.

Thankfully the app works great now and those dark days are behind me.

i had the same problem with my hero 4 silver when I was using it manually (before the iOS app was updated.) It seemed like the only way i could get it to keep recording was if i hit record after the propellers started and took off before they timed out. Not the safest solution, obviously.

Also every video would be corrupted when it came back and have to be "fixed" by the GoPro but that worked 90% of the time.

Another thing I'll mention for the benefit of any beginners who might be reading this is be sure not to attempt a flight while connected to the GoPros wifi on your phone/tablet (or even with the GoPro wifi turned on, for that matter). As soon as the Solo takes the camera out of range it will most likely cause chaos. In my case it caused the Solo to start ascending very rapidly wirh no end in sight until I regained manual control via the "Fly" button.

Thankfully the app works great now and those dark days are behind me.

I got a Hero 4 Black about a week ago and so far everything is going ok video wise. Only problem with the Hero 3 is I updated the latest firmware and now I usually get the "red light of death" when I try to power it up after the hero is warmed up. When it is cool, it powers up ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000