Good Public Relations

Reaction score
I had a good experience with Joe Public today. I was at a local park to show a friend the capabilities of Solo, since he is thinking of buying one. While showing him the basic controls and flying modes, a guy comes up with 7 or 8 young boys and wants to know if they could watch and ask some questions. I told him of course, and showed the group of boys along with my friend the Solo until it came time to land. One youngster asked if he could do the command for RTH. When I said sure, he lit up like a Christmas tree, and the other kids just couldn't get over how lucky he was. He pressed the RTH button, and I set the controller on the ground. Solo rose to the RTH altitude of 150', and proceeded to land perfectly right where it took off from. They were all amazed. The questions these kids asked ranged from the normal "Where did you buy it, how much did it cost, how fast will it go...etc". Some of these boys asked things like how big is the on board computer, how far can the controller "talk" to Solo, and what other devices besides the GoPro can you attach? I was surprised at some of their more technical questions. Then the gentleman with them told me they were a group of Scouts working on some of their merit badges which included things like robotics, aviation, and the current use and future of UAV's. I was kind of shocked. Things sure have changed since I was a Scout. It was a whole lot of fun, the kids really enjoyed it, and Scout Leader was very appreciative of the time we spent with them. It was the best public encounter I have had yet while flying. Best of all, my buddy is sold on buying a Solo, so now I will have a partner in crime...lol. I guess I was so pumped by the whole situation, I just wanted to share some positive news with the rest of you.

Glad to hear other having these great public experiences as well, I too have had a few latley that I posted about last week and a month or so ago. It's great to be able to post some good situations after seeing all the bad news stories. I've flown going on two years with no bad issues with the public, even those who at first were skeptical and iffy I managed to turn around. I've actually been trying my best to be as approachable and helpful ad I can latley and since solo grabs much more attention than my phantom have had a bunch of good days doing it. I had a similar group last weekend and one young boy was already in robotics classes and the kids and their Mom were all great and impressed with Solo and the whole demonstration. It feels good to get people exited about these things not scared of them. Great work and thanks for sharing, we need more stories like these.

Reactions: Chuck and Maddog
Thanks guys- good PR is always welcome!

And something else- people seem to have forgotten that's it's OK to be nice to people you don't know. :)
Good point especially kids and their very attractive and flirty mothers. Not why I was so nice but was surely an added bonus. Lol my old lady and kids were actually at the park last week playing and she actually didn't come running. I was impressed but did get a couple little comments from her on the way home.

Reactions: Maddog
Ah it's alright when she took her shots in the car I told her I was surprised she didn't walk up since mom was hot. She'd much rather me chat and get hit on a bit than go further like most of her friends and coworkers complain about all the time, so we're cool she just has to give me $hit about it.lol have a good night folks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc