Gmail Privacy Abuses

Reaction score
Even though this isn't drone-related per se, I've noticed through Brite Lite contacts that many users here have gmail accounts.

I just wanted to make sure those folks know that Google opens, reads and scans their email to send them targeted advertising.

Here is a small sample:

Google: don't expect privacy when sending to Gmail

Privacy lawsuit over Gmail will move forward

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: speatuk
I would have been more surprised to learn they weren't doing that. :). Browser cookies are scanned by pretty much every website. Everything I look at on Amazon becomes a targeted banner add on other sites. If I've emailed about something, I mysteriously start seeing ads about it. This is just the nature of the internet today. Google is only a small part of it. In part, it is the price we pay for free. Google's services run my life, and they do it for free. But I don't expect anything anywhere to be without a cost. The cost to all of Google's amazing free services is fairly responsible data mining without malintent... which sets it aside from malware style data mining anyway.

I really don't mind getting targeted advertising about drones and boxerbriefs if that's the price I pay for free cloud services worth much more. I also do not use it for anything sensitive, and especially not for my job. Know the risks and act accordingly.

Reactions: Chuck
Knowing what I know on the Cyber world, I have absolutely no expectation of privacy in my life. Not saying it is good or I like it. Just the cost of doing business in the digital world.

Reactions: Maddog
Was just explaining to my 86 old father how the data is used and mis-used. He's a security breach waiting to happen....

Google owns the data mine, with or without gmail. You're just a part of it.....with your blessings.

Reactions: Maddog
I personally would rather see targeted advertisements than random junk. There have been several occasions in my life where a targeted ad helped me find a better price or better product for my money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377