Glass Cockpit

Reaction score
As a (not rich) general aviation pilot I have always been envious of the high end GA aircraft with the glass cockpits, my trusty 69 Cherokee 140 with its "steam gauge" 6 pack was fine but always loved the hi tech. Just wondering if 3DR or any of the drone guys are working on a nice heads up display with bearing, vertical speed tapes, slip ect... I can't bring myself to fly with just the video feed, keep looking up at the bird to verify I'm not in imminent dander of CFIT (controlled flight into terrain) I keep wanting more data on screen - yes I know it's all there between the controller and info on the iPad, but sure would be slick to have aviation style HUD... Just my .002

I flew yesterday with my tablet plugged into some head play hd goggles. All the iPad stuff, battery, signal, sats, altitude. (You've just reminded me to try moving map). First time I flew fpv without looking at the controls or the bird

I flew yesterday with my tablet plugged into some head play hd goggles. All the iPad stuff, battery, signal, sats, altitude. (You've just reminded me to try moving map). First time I flew fpv without looking at the controls or the bird
How did that work? Did you take off and land with them on?

Worked well. Took off with them. Flying around far more immersive without the concerns of batt level, altitude etc. Makes me want to try/learn plane mode.
Flew home suburbia to 30ft, tilted gimbal down to pinpoint land. Watched altitude, almost landed without looking then chickened out as small driveway and took a peek, landed.

I like them. Not a fashion accessory though :) Right price of entry vs quality. Didn't want to spend more and maybe not use them. Had to wait like 3 months but maybe they are in regular supply now

So did you connect with HDMI cable? No issues? Thought I saw a thread where there was a problem with solo... Now you got me anxious to try!

So, if you connect with hdmi from your controller to solo, works well, no overlays.

If you connect usb from your tablet via a mhl adapter to hdmi (and power the adapter), you get a tad more latency but get all the overlays you get on a tablet

It's worth mentioning your tablet/phone has to support mhl (for screen mirroring to tvs). It's micro usb port is actually mhl. You can plug a micro usb into a mhl port to charge/sync etc. You cannot plug an mhl adapter into a micro USB port. They are physically slightly different.

For iOS people. I tried the lighting to hdmi adapter as well with head play hpv. Works great. It has lighting on the iOS end and lighting and full size hdmi on the other. And since it gets its power from lighting people port, it does not need separate power. Superior solution

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo